Wednesday, August 2, 2023

GLEN BURNIE GARDENS, WINCHESTER, VA - SAT_7-15-23

Continuing on from previous posts, I am sharing other parts of the garden.  We were there to see the Lego exhibit which I shared here and here.   But first we stopped inside the museum itself.  We didn't stay long, just enough to get the tickets, and to browse around the gift shop.  Our focus was on the garden.


All up and down the hall there were paintings on the walls, plus this crow sculpture.  It would be a wonderful addition to our garden art.  But no, I didn’t enquire and wasn’t even sure if it was for sale.  I am rather partial to crows and always welcome their visits. 

 

The flowers below were in flower beds near the front door.  Below are Purple Coneflower which I described in greater detail in my post from Green Spring Gardens.    


You can click here if you want a refresher on them.  It is the fourth photo down on that page.


Next, Gregg is a bit of a blur in the background.  I am standing next to the Southern globethistle, botanical name Echinops ritro.  It is native to southern and eastern Europe and western Asia.  A drought tolerant plant that can handle temperatures down to -4 degrees. F.


Southern globethistle's attract Goldfinches and similar bird species.  They often struggle in the winter to find food, but this plant produces an abundance of seeds late in the season and helps keep them well fed.


The red barn is situated between the museum and the garden.  I am not sure if this area is just for maintenance workers, or whether for some other activities.  For garden classes perhaps.  I really should ask next time.


I have seen the following in other gardens.  It goes by the name of Klip dagga, great name!  Also known as Lion's-Tail, Christmas candlestick and Bald bush, with a botanical name of Leonotis nepetifolia.  (That sounds like a spell in a Harry Potter movie!)  The ones I have seen in another garden grow above my head (I am 5 ft. 6 in) and these can reach 10 feet tall.  A native of tropical Africa and southern India, it is a member of the mint family, and its petals range from purple to orange to red.  It is a popular ornamental around the world.


In the photo below you can see the Klip dagga off center left and also on the right in the background of the flower bed, standing tall.  This is a real pretty area and the flowers grown here remind me of an English Garden.  My Dad's was very similar to this but with different flowers.  Dad always loved his garden but even more time was devoted after he retired.  There was always a profusion of flowers, bought from local nurseries or given to him by friends, cuttings from their gardens.  They often used to exchange flowers.  Dad asked Mum what she would like and go on from there.  Her favorites were roses, Sweet Peas and Carnations, but there were other types of flowers planted over the years.  I remember a beautiful clump of wild primroses.  She loved those. 


This flowerbed included these pretty blooms identified as Swamp rose mallow.  Another I have described before, though it has been quite a while since I saw them. A species of Hibiscus in the Mallow family, it also goes by other names; Crimsoneyed rose-mallow, Rose-mallow and Eastern rose-mallow.  Swamp rose mallow prefers full sun but can tolerate partial shade.  However, they may get a bit 'leggy'.  It is native to southern to eastern North America.


They attract a wide variety of birds because of their trumpet-shaped petals and long stamens.  They attract a wide variety of nectar-seeking birds, plus butterflies and bees.  Hummingbirds are attracted to their vibrant colors, especially loving shrubs of red, pink and orange.  Swamp rose mallow growing closer to wetlands can provide nesting for some birds, particularly red-winged blackbirds.  In the winter the flowers go to seed providing food for the blue-winged teal, goldfinch, northern pintail and wood duck.  The petals of this plant range from pure white to a rosy color, most of which have deep maroon stamens.  It is because hibiscus holds the meaning of mallow, and it is often grown in wetlands and rivers.  That's why it is called Swamp rose mallow.
I am always happy to see the Sunflowers.  We have here the Common sunflower, but its other names are Annual sunflower and Mirasol.  Its botanical name is Helianthus annuus.  Sunflowers can be planted in containers or cultivated in the garden.  They are easy to care for and they make impressive cut flowers.  One very interesting fact I learned, however, is that you should not plant them with beans or potatoes as they are especially susceptible to a chemical exuded by the sunflower's roots and should not be planted near them.


I believe these are ornamental peppers.  At least I found very similar ones here at The Spruce.


It is also called the Christmas pepper plant and its botanic name is Capsicum annuum cultivars.  They need full sun to provide the energy for producing flowers and colorful fruit.  Click on the link above and it will give you a lot of information for growing them.  If you are going to eat them, harvest the peppers before the first frost of the fall.  Simply use sharp shears or a knife to cut the fruit off the plant, and store in the refrigerator.  Use super-hot ornamental peppers very sparingly, chopped up in hot sauces, salsas, omelets, rice and bean dishes and curries.  Wear gloves when handling hot peppers.  All this information came from the above link.
My last photo for this post is a rather splendid sundial.  There is a fascinating history of them at this link. I read that the oldest true sundial, that they know of, is an Egyptian shadow clock made from greenschist and built around 1500 BCE, in Egypt.  If you click on the previous link it will show you a picture of a wooden one.  


That's all for today.  I have enough photos for two more posts and will share them as soon as I can put them together.  








40 comments:

  1. The Swamp Mallows are gorgeous, they are my favorites today. The Lion's Tail is one of the weirdest flowers I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are and happy they are your favorites. The Lion’s Tail looks like it would fit into a prehistoric tropical forest :)

      Delete
  2. The gardens are gorgeous but that crow sculpture has (just) my vote today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Sue, I would have enjoyed taking the crows home with me :)

      Delete
  3. Is the swamp malo looks like a hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Cloudia! I have always thought so and they are the same family :)

      Delete
  4. I like that crow sculpture and globethistles look a bit like cornflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Angie and I can see why you would think that about the globethistles :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely garden to see along with the Lego exhibit. The burgundy swamp mallow is very pretty. The usual white colored ones seem to be more prevalent. Thank you for sharing another post on this very interesting spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it Martha Ellen and you are very welcome :) I have only ever seen the white ones over at Huntley Meadows.

      Delete
  6. Always love to go through your story as if I were living in your life too. Love the crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s very kind of you Roentare :) I am very happy you feel that way. The crow sculpture was a lovely piece of art.

      Delete
  7. What lovely photos and flowers, a pleasure to be see them Denise, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Margaret and you are very welcome. I am always very happy to share what I see.

      Delete
  8. Another beautiful tour of the gardens. I like that crow sculpture also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Ann :) Me too on the crow sculpture.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful variety of flowers, lovely photo. I like the crows and that sundial. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) Happy you enjoyed and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  10. Stunning gardens and I am sure a pleasure to walk around. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, it is :) You ha a good week also.

      Delete
  11. Some very interesting plants and flowers. Your dad must have spent hours and hours in his garden. I would not have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim and Barb :) I watched my Dad my whole growing years with him in the garden, weather permitting. Mum used to sit out there to keep him company and though she enjoyed the garden, it was Dad who enjoyed digging into the soil and planting. One thing Dad had an abundance of was patience. After his time at work it was his way of relaxing doing what he loved.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous flowers!

    The link calls the Egyptian clock primitive... hmm. I don't think they were so primitive! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are right Sandi, not primitive at all. I have watched enough National Geographic and it’s like to realize how very advanced, knowledgeable and cultured they were. Thank you for pointing that out :)

      Delete
  13. Lots of beautiful, colorful flowers at the garden. Nature in all its glory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a lot of information on plants!! And sundials. I love purple coneflowers. Ours are all faded but in the backyard one of the plants decided to send up a fresh bloom in this 100F temperatures we are having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi, I probably put down way too much but I always love rereading everything when I look back at my posts. Oh wow, I have been hearing about those temperatures out there. Hope you, your family and those pretty coneflowers stay cool :)

      Delete
  15. A lovely post - you know how I love gardens. Beautiful photos too - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol and you are very welcome. I do and I am very happy you enjoy mine. I certainly enjoy yours :)

      Delete
  16. Denise, I appreciate all the information you shared in this post about the flowers, some of which I've seen before, but didn't know their name, and many were new to me. Also, thank you for the nice comment on my post about the two recent passings. Patrick and I also appreciate our friendship with you and Gregg even though our in person get togethers are not too often. You know how the saying goes about absence making the heart grow fonder and that is certainly true for all those family and friends we don't see on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorothy :) so glad you enjoyed the information on those plants you recognized. Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to the next time we get together. I know it will be like no time has gone by at all and those old sayings are very true. Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your friends.

      Delete
  17. The crows sculpture fascinated me. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why William :) yes, the flowers were beautiful. I love being around flowers.

      Delete
  18. so many beautiful, colorful flowers!! i think those cone flowers are nature's answer to perfection...how could anything else produce something so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures.
    My daughter said she would take me, and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Are there paths to walk along in the gardens or do you have to walk on the grass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I sent you the information and a phone number to call to their enquiries desk. I'm sure they will be able to answer any questions you need. I don't do well on uneven ground, but there seemed to be a lot of pathways. The steps I avoided. Hope this helps :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!