Thursday, August 10, 2023

LAST POST FROM GLEN BURNIE GARDENS, WINCHESTER, VA - SAT_7-15-23 - STATUES

 One of the things I like about this garden is the collection of statues throughout.  I try to identify them but haven't been able to do all.

This one was found in Jasmine Allée. I shared her before on this post, 6th photo from the top.  It is a marble statue of Flora and her bouquet.  In Roman mythology, Flora is the goddess of flowers and the spring season.


In the mosaic of four photos below, I identified three only.  The top left statue holding the sheaf of wheat represents Autumn.  Bottom right represents Spring.  (There are several websites online showing four seasonal statues.  All you have to do is type "goddesses of the seasons".  The ones I saw seem to be for sale.)  

Top right, the bust with a tall-helmeted man represents Ares, son of Zeus and Hera.  Ares is the Greek god of war.  It is a reproduction of the Roman copy of the original from 420 BCE by Alkamenes.  The original Greek sculpture is in the State Museum of the Hermitage, Saint Petersburg, Russia.  

I am not sure what the one on the bottom left is.

Statue described as, "possibly Greek Philosopher Socrates".


A marble statue of mother and child.  As we saw all kinds of Greek/Roman Mythological figures at the garden, I did another search and found Leto as a possible ID.  She is the goddess of motherhood.  (The page I have linked has a lot of pop-up advertisements.  I try my best to find ones without, but this is what I came up with that provided the information I needed.)  Leto is officially known as the goddess of motherhood. She is a protector of children.  And to be honest, I am just guessing that the statue below is Leto.


Have no idea who the statue depicts in the center foreground.  The one on the right further back is the Spring statue that I showed in my mosaic.


And lastly, a lovely statue of The American Bald Eagle...


and a little closer.


You can click on this link to watch a very nice YouTube video showing the garden.  It is 7.11 minutes long.

This is my last post from Glen Burnie, until we get there next time.




34 comments:

  1. These sculptures are really exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you roentare :) Just like your water and street candid photos, I love taking photos of statues and other sculptures.

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful, always like to see sculptures Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do delight in outdoor statues. Megathanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue :) your delight is my delight.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So happy you think so, the original owners of this place would be very pleased you enjoyed them Ann :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sculptures. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed :) You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  6. Piękne posągi super ,że odpowiedziałeś kogo przedstawiają. Miłego dnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo się cieszę, że podobały Ci się posągi, a także informacje :) Dziękuję bardzo za bardzo słodki komentarz!

      Delete
  7. you would love the Ringling Museum and grounds here in Sarasota. there are hundreds, maybe thousands of statues, they are every where on every path on the grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I would Sandra, I would probably be there all day :) Thanks for telling me about this place. Who knows, I might get there one day.

      Delete
  8. Impressed with all the statues at the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful statues in this garden. Thanks for the close-ups! Happy day to you, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I always love the details on these statues. Happy day to you too Ellen, thank you :)

      Delete
  10. what a pretty garden, the statues are so lovely. i enjoyed the information you provided, that gave me a little insight to them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the statuary, just incredible. Wonder why Socrates has his right arm in a sling. The mother and child evokes feelings of love and even sadness. Thanks for the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very observant Gigi and you are very welcome. It does look like Socrates has his arm in a sling. I noticed the 5th statue down has a similar draping in her robe. I was immediately drawn to the mother and child. It's a beautiful statue isn't it?

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing the results of your research -- you create such a beautiful learning place (almost as good as if I were there in person and my research wouldn't be so complete probably). I wondered the same thing as the person above, Socrates looks like his arm is in a sling, but maybe it is just the way the toga drapes? And that one unidentified woman looks more like a pioneer (American) woman than a Greek statue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, you are very welcome. I enjoy doing the reading and sharing it on here. You are probably right on the way the clothing drapes on Socrates. Yes, she does look like a pioneer doesn't she :)

      Delete
  13. Interesting. I have photographed a few of these but did not do the research that you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it's fun for me to know that you have seen this place and its statues. I am also happy you found the info interesting, thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!