Friday, August 25, 2023

THE SNICKERSVILLE TURNPIKE SCENIC ROUTE 7-22-23

 A month ago we went for another drive along the Snickersville Turnpike.  The previous one we had to cut short because of a warning light that appeared on the car's dashboard.  This day was once again sunny, not too hot and perfect weather.

An historical marker reads:
"Originally an Iroquois hunting trail, it became by 1786 the first recorded operating turnpike in America, praised by Thomas Jefferson.  In 1810 the Virginia Assembly chartered the Snickers Gap Turnpike Company, authorizing three toll gates between Aldie and Snickers Gap: horse 3 cents, 20 cattle 12-1/2 cents, four-wheel carriage 12-1/2 cents. 
A toll booth operated on the Blue Ridge Mountain until 1915.  The Turnpike today is a Virginia Byway overlooking the same landscape George Washington traveled between 1748 and 1788, where he often stopping at West's Ordinary near Aldie and Edward Snicker's inn and ferry on the Shenandoah River." (An Ordinary is an inn, tavern, etc. where ordinary meals were served).
A lot of old farms...
and houses, all of which I thoroughly enjoy taking photos of.  Some were in the process of getting a little tender loving care.
I have noticed for some time now that the fences we see in the countryside are painted black instead of white.  
It took me a while to get used to, but I rather like them now.
You can pass miles and miles of these fences.
There are also new homes being built and we saw sales signs...
but then there were the old, abandoned homes...
and what stories they could tell.
We saw many old barns still in use...
and more houses.
This is another scene shared before but I saw the mural again and took another photo.
It is where we saw this beauty, a photo I captured by sheer luck and posted on my blog a few weeks ago.  It was the only deer we saw that day and I thought was worth a repeat.
And here is the red barn that I shared as a painting two days ago. 
I found some interesting information about why these barns were painted red.  It goes back to the late 18th century, with New England farmers applying a protective varnish to barn surfaces. The varnish usually contained a mixture of linseed oil, lime or iron oxide, which under the sun would then turn to the red ochre hue that we have become so familiar with. 
Eventually, as red paint became available, many people stuck to the color tradition. Red paint is also one of the cheapest colors available to purchase (this is because the large amount of iron and oxygen compounds in the paint are plentiful in the Earth).
Apparently red barns can be in seen in other parts of the world.  In Sweden for instance, the red color has appeared in barns and other buildings since the Middle Ages.  Iron oxide was used from the mining tracts of Falun (Sweden).  Even today the color is called Faluröd. Although iron oxide has been used for thousands of years as a paint pigment, in Sweden it was apparently an attempt by the noblemen of the 16th century to mimic the brick and terracotta of European buildings.  This information was given by someone from Sweden.  
Here is a map of our drive.

I have more photos and I will share them another time.

Thanks for looking everyone and
I hope your day is a great one.






42 comments:

  1. Thanks for the delightful tour; I loved the part about "cooler weather," as it's 110 degrees heat index in Kansas City. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda :) I am happy you enjoyed my post. 110 degrees is dreadful! I hope the weather starts cooling down for you real soon.

      Delete
  2. What a delightful drive. Thank you so much for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue :) I am glad you enjoyed the journey.

      Delete
  3. How interesting. Lovely photos and the houses are a delight to see, different from ours. I noticed a place called Oatlands on the map, we also have an Oatlands :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret and how interesting you have an Oatlands. There is a mansion I have visited a couple of times here. You can see it at the following address. We are about due for another visit :

      https://oatlands.org/

      I also thought you would like to see my previous visits to Oatlands, you will find them at the following address
:

      https://anenglishgirlrambles2016.blogspot.com/search/labelOatlands%20Plantation_Leesburg_Virginia

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful area that is. I just love seeing the old houses and barns. The house that is all overgrown is kind of sad looking. That one is definitely in need of some TLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, so glad. The house you mentioned, it must have been amazing when it was new. I saw a for sale sign nearby and other signs regarding a new development nearby. I wouldn't be surprised if it is demolished, which will be really sad.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos you shared - you're lucky to live close to so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol and we do feel lucky to have all this lovely countryside within a short driving distance. We are slap-dab in the middle of Washington DC, which is 25 miles in one direction and the Shenandoah Mountains 25 miles in the other :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos.

    I like the wide open skies!

    Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi and you are very welcome :) Those skies were glorious the day we were out.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful countryside images. I love all the barns. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. I was happy to see so many barns on our outing. I have always loved them. You take care and have a great weekend also :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely day to spend in the country side! The air must be very fresh. Love that red barn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect and it was :) Thank you Angie, I love that red barn also.

      Delete
  9. Love those old stone structures; houses, silos, fences. You are right, I bet they could tell some stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim and Barb :) Love the old stone structures myself, and so much more on this trip. I wish I could find more of their history, actually talk to the people who once lived there. Probably their children and grandchildren now.

      Delete
  10. What an enjoyable country road drive … it is somehow soothing to see grassy green fields, deer and red barns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penelope, it certainly was and I couldn't agree more :)

      Delete
  11. I have followed a blogger in sweden since 2009 and have noticed many of the buildings, barns and houses are red, even the bath houses at the beaches are red. now i know why... that first view of the turnpike is so beautiful and if we remove the man added things i can see the native Americans running, walking or riding down that trail.
    all of the homes you showed us are gorgeous, my favorite is the sad one left to rot. it is sad that re modeling a home now cost more than building a new one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting Sandra :) I would like to visit this Swedish blogger. I can see the Native Americans in my mind's eye before Europeans settled here. The house you mentioned is my favorite also. If only I had a bottomless checkbook to bring it back to its former glory. I can see what it might have been before it was abandoned and in its heyday.

      Delete
  12. Very beautiful countryside with well kept barns and houses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting observations in your post. I would rather not paint my house red, and you won't see one in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is my kind of drive. Wonderful snapshots along the way. That's interesting history on red barns. Thanks for taking us along on your drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, so glad you enjoyed my post and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  15. You had a lovely drive and the views you took are very interesting. The houses that are being renovated are impressive with much land around them contained by all those fences. Wishing you a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'm happy you enjoyed them. They were very interesting to me and I wish you a good weekend also :)

      Delete
  16. How perfectly beautiful, Denise. I love drives like this one and you have me hankering to take one. I love the old homes and barns and the stories they must tell as well. I have heard that black fences require less maintenance. With miles and miles of them to care for I'm sure that would be valuble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I loved all the old homes and barns we saw. I should have guessed that was the case with those black fences :) no sooner someone got to one end, I would think they would have to start at the beginning again. A slight exaggeration perhaps but not by much.

      Delete
  17. Your photos are truly stunning today! My faves are one, two and four. You made those silos in the second photo look absolutely majestic! Which is kind of the opposite we think of when seeing silos! This has to be one of your best posts for me. Loved learning about the red color of barns. Any idea how it got the name Snicker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet compliment Ginny. I am very happy you thought so highly of my photos. You made my day! Thank you also for asking the question about the name :) This is what I found. The village of Snickersville and Snickers Gap were named after Captain Edward Snickers who ran a ferry across the nearby Shenandoah River in the 1760’s. Snickersville’s name was changed and is now called Bluemont. I have no idea why they changed it.

      Delete
  18. What a charming place!
    I love seeing all those quaint houses and barns.
    Thank you for the delightful tour, Denise.
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed Veronica Lee, thank you :) hugs and blessings from me also.

      Delete
  19. Denise, I had heard of this road from another blogger and how lovely to find your post and the great scenes you found along the way. It was interesting to learn why barns are painted red as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found it so my friend :) Thank you!

      Delete
  20. It’s a beautiful area! I enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!