Monday, August 7, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - ARTICHOKE CHICKEN - SERVES 4


Our recipe today came from a food blog called 'cook2eatwell', hosted by Elizabeth.  An excellent dish and as Dear Other Half said, "it gets better after each bite" and "let's make this again."  You can find the original recipe here.  There are also a lot of other recipes I am interested in, such as those linked in Elizabeth's recipe, "Chicken and Mushrooms" for instance.  We said before even reading this, that next time we would add mushrooms.  There is also "Chicken and Broccoli Pasta", "Artichoke Salad" and "Hot Artichoke Dip".  

Everything is done on the stove top.  We practically stop using the oven on hot and humid days.  


Artichoke Chicken 
Serves: 4
Calories per portion: approximately 371  

Described by our host as "an Italian-inspired blend".

Total time from prep to finish is approximately 40 minutes.


1¼ – 1½ pound Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, fat trimmed off if needed and cut into 1 inch pieces 
1 teaspoon Salt, plus extra if needed (we used kosher salt)
½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
¼ teaspoon Dried Rosemary
¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
3-4 Garlic Cloves, minced
¼ cup White Wine
½ cup Chicken Broth
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice (1 – 2 lemons)
1 (14 ounce) can quartered artichokes, drained
1 pint Grape or Cherry Tomatoes
2 tablespoons Butter

For garnish:
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 16 oz. box of Barilla Fettuccini (the only reason I mention the brand is that Gregg prefers this to any other and wants it on the shopping list.  Any of your favorite brands would do.
I like to get all the ingredients measured out and prepared first.  I am teased for this but it suits my corner-to-corner personality (i.e. I insist on spreading that butter corner-to-corner on a slice of toast).  

Start with the water to cook pasta, so that it will be ready to serve along with your chicken and artichokes.  Use the cooking directions on the packet.

Add salt, oregano, thyme, rosemary and black pepper to a small bowl.  Stir to combine.

Sprinkle the chicken pieces with seasoning mix and stir well to coat.

Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.  When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the chicken.  Arrange so that it is in one layer.  Cook for 3 minutes.

Turn each piece and cook an additional 3 minutes.

Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Carefully add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, artichokes and tomatoes.  Stir well to combine.  Cover the skillet.  When the liquid comes to a simmer, lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking (covered) for 15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

When the chicken is cooked through (at least 165 deg. F. at the center of the largest, thickest piece) and the tomatoes burst, add 2 tablespoons of butter and stir until it melts.  Turn off the heat.

Taste the sauce and add salt if needed.  

Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve over pasta.

Serve with a slice of your favorite crusty bread. 

A mixed green salad on the side would be nice.

(Elizabeth provides nutritional information at the end of her recipe if you need them.  Click here to see those.

Nothing much to add other than we look forward to making this again.  It was added to the favorites folder.

No changes today, we bought every ingredient we needed.

DOH said he would like to add shrimp, and I thought mushrooms would be a nice addition.

The wine we used was Beringer's White Zinfandel.
We got it at our local supermarket and neither of us can remember how much it cost there, but at Total Wine & more when I checked online, it goes for $4.99 a bottle.  You can see that page at this linkAnytime we need wine in a recipe, we will have a glass with our meal. We are no connoisseurs and don't have it often enough to be, but we know what we like.  We also follow the rule of thumb when buying wine as an ingredient, don't buy anything you wouldn't enjoy a glass of yourself. 
 And these special coasters were part of a birthday gift from my son and daughter-in-law.  Thank you my Darlings, I love them!  They know how much I enjoy my bees and positive quotes.
There was more than enough for two servings on my plate.  I wrapped what I had left and put it in the fridge.  There were leftovers for two more meals which we enjoyed over the weekend.  This meal tastes even better the next day.  

Here is the address in full if you prefer to cut and paste instead of using the link.

https://www.cook2eatwell.com/artichoke-chicken/


That's all I can think of at the moment.  If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment section and I will do my best to answer them.





36 comments:

  1. Looks good, and is fancy. Love the bee coasters!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) it is a pretty meal and happy you liked the coasters also.

      Delete
  2. Love those coaster. Hooray for meals that improve with reheating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Sue, I love them too :) and yes, hurray!

      Delete
  3. Looks good, and in the summer time we don't have a lot of hot meals, mostly barbecues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, barbecues are great for summer :)

      Delete
  4. The coasters are so pretty! But never cared for artichokes...I'll add mushrooms!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, and mushrooms sound great! Sending hugs :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a very satisfying and delightful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love artichoke the most. It is hard to cook though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, these were out of a can :) I remember cooking the fresh ones but it has been a while.

      Delete
  7. Looks very good. The grocery stores around here don't sell wine though. It would require a trip to the wine and spirit store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, I am glad our supermarket sells what we needed :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Denise,
    The meal looks delicious, thanks for the recipe. The coaster are so cute. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds delicious and easy. I need to pick up some chicken broth -- At home I usually have it in the house but not here at the lake. But this might be on our menu later this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it does Jeanie :) I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

      Delete
  10. Cute coasters and another recipe that looks and sounds delicious. Happy new week to you dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like something Barb would like. I will just take the leftover wine and be content with that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done! I like stove top cooking some days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Densie, I wanted to thank you for coming by and answering my question. That is so thoughtful, and not many blog friends go back to the blog to answer the question. I also try to do this, or e-mail them directly. Take care during the flash flood warnings, and I didn't know you were in northern Virginia. It must be so lovely. I'm in the northern part of California.

    Your artichoke chicken dish looks so delicious. I love all the ingredients. I've always loved artichokes, and just had one with my son. The bee coasters are so cute.

    A happy week to you, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sheri. I try to answer on both my blog and my blogging friends' blogs after realizing not everyone has the time to come back to read my answer. It sometimes takes me a while to answer when I am away from my laptop and I feel a bit fumble fingered on my iPhone and iPad. Happy week to you too :) We had quite a storm today but only a few branches down around our back yard. Still under a tornado watch for a few hours though.

      Delete
  14. That sounds delicious and I love the choice of wine as well. Keep well, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, so glad. You keep well too :)

      Delete
  15. No questions -- this sounds delicious and I can always use a new chicken breast recipe. I really liked that it uses dried herbs. I have decided I'm never buying fresh ones again (reserving the right to change my mind of course) after throwing away too much of them lately -- I keep forgetting to use the rest of them after I buy what seems like a small amount for a particular recipe. Anyway -- my fault entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not your fault at all Sallie and I know exactly of what you speak. I have thrown away a lot of herbs just for the reasons you mentioned. I am now thinking of growing my own so that I could snip what I needed. I need to get out of the thinking stage and just do it :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!