Monday, August 21, 2023

MONDAY FOOD POST - THE HAWK AND GRIFFIN PUB IN VIENNA, VIRGINIA

Not my usual Monday Recipe, but if you go to this website, you will find 25 Traditional British ones to enjoy.  I thought it would be nice to stay in the theme for today’s post…   

 

which is a review of a pub/restaurant that we enjoyed very much.  It was our first time visiting and we were here last Wednesday (8-16-23). They know nothing of me, and I don't expect anything from them.  I do, however, like to give these places a shout-out when we have had an enjoyable dining experience.  If I go anywhere that isn't as enjoyable, then I don't write about it as I think every place can have a bad day.  If there is a third visit that we are not happy with, then we don't go back and wish them well.

Fortunately, the Hawk and Griffin was very, very enjoyable.  It is the first time we have gone inside anywhere for a very long time.  We don't go to too many sit-down restaurants unless it is a special occasion, and this felt special. Two days after was our son's birthday, and we were getting together on the 18th, but for now we were celebrating his birthday just the two of us.  On his actual birthday we had a wonderful get-together with our son and daughter-in-law.

A bit too warm to sit outside on this occasion (for us at least), but it's a nice eating area under a large canopy and we have that planned for when the weather gets cooler. We arrived extra early so that it wouldn't be too crowded inside. Having skipped our usual breakfast, we were sitting down by noon and our meal came shortly after.  (By the time we left people were arriving.)

We have been saying we must go here ever since it opened two years' ago.  


My dear other half has been hankering for fish and chips for quite some time, and though we rarely have fried food, it just seemed the time and place.


I found this description at their website:

"Hawk and Griffin brings the character of a traditional British pub experience to Vienna, Virginia.  Our design and decor transport patrons back to the Edwardian era (1900-1918).  Come in and enjoy our uniquely British menu along with our selection of British style beers and spirits while enjoying live music, premier sports viewing or a friendly game of darts.  The message in our entry foyer is our promise.  "There are no strangers here.  Only friends you have not yet met."


We sat in the booth to the right of the Union Jack with Queen Elizabeth's image and the dates she was with us.


They have lots of nostalgia food on the menu, which you can see here, but we had been talking about how nice it would be to have fish and chips the next time we went out, with this place in mind.  I also ordered mushy peas.  (When we were ordering our lunch, we also ordered a Scotch Egg and Bread Pudding to take home and eat later that day.  Our waiter gave it to us as we left.)


We both had Magna Cider on tap which was very refreshing, and the meal was delicious! The best fish and chips we have had in a very long time, and I asked our nice young waiter to let the chef know that fact, and to thank chef for such a delicious meal.


This link directs us to a website that gives a bit of the pub's history.  


I vaguely remember the word 'snug' from long, long ago, going back to childhood perhaps.  Children were not allowed in the pubs you might have already guessed.  


I do remember stopping at a pub in the countryside.  As children we would always sit in the enclosed garden at the tables and chairs provided, usually on a warm, sunny day.  There weren't any other places open on Sunday and that's when we usually went for a ride in the countryside.  Mum was a teetotaler and had her glass of pop but Dad had his pint.  My sister and I probably had pop which was like a carbonated lemonade similar to Sprite or Mountain Dew.  We also enjoyed playing in the garden.


The Hawk and Griffin's explanation of a snug made me smile.

"Hawk and Griffin boasts two 'snugs'.  The traditional pub snug was a small lounge area for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public bar.  Women, clergy and the local police officer could enjoy a discreet pint of ale or nip of gin.  Snugs also became the meeting space for local matchmaking where marriages would be arranged."  

These photos show one of their 'snugs'.


 

I think I will order the Sticky Toffee Pudding next time, just for a change.  I found a recipe that will show the ingredients and how to make it here.


I want to mention the young man who took our order and brought our food.  We liked him a lot, very friendly, just what is needed in a pub/restaurant.  As it was relatively quiet when we were there, the three of us chatted for a while.  He left a great impression.


Just for fun I looked for some interesting names of pubs in the UK.  I found a page that shared the top ten pubs on Trip Advisor.  You can look at them here, and more information on pub’s names here.  

It also reminded me, and yes here I go again, of old newspapers my father collected, going back to the 1940s and before.  I have them in the basement stored in a box somewhere.  I'm going to have to seriously start tidying that place up as I would dearly love to find this particular newspaper that I think I have shared before.  It was about Sitting Bull sitting on the steps of a pub called The Fighting Cocks in Wolverhampton (a town where my parents were born).  He was touring with Buffalo Bill and he felt compassion for the people he saw passing by whom he felt were very poor.  He sat on the steps and handed out pound notes.  What a wonderful story! I have looked for the tale online, but with no success.  I'm just going to have to search for Dad's old newspaper.  This is going back many years since I last saw it, and after several moves, has been tucked away into oblivion. It's time to clear things out and see if I can find them.  These old newspapers were of special events and one of them was about Lawrence of Arabia.  A lot of history in those old newspapers.  I really need to find them.

A full address of how Sitting Bull met Buffalo Bill:
https://www.history.com/news/the-unlikely-alliance-between-buffalo-bill-and-sitting-bull.  I knew some of their story but not all and I was pleased finding this page.  I will always be grateful for the kindness Sitting Bull showed to the people while sitting on the steps of a place I remember in name only.  I don’t ever remember going there with my parents.  I think it was a city pub.  I also read somewhere that the original place no longer exists, but a new one took its place.   

From British pubs to Sitting Bull and Buffalo Bill?  What on earth?  Well, that’s how I role!  

Back to the Hawk and Griffin, if you ever find yourself traveling through the area, or live not so far away and want a fun experience, I recommend this wonderful pub. Their website is at this link.

One more thing, I am including a YouTube video of British foodies who go around and tell you what they think of the meals they are eating.  They are two young men who are amusing with a little bit of silliness thrown in. It’s enjoyable and interesting.  They are in an old English pub and among other tasty treats, they are eating fish and chips. 



Thanks for listening to my rambles.




36 comments:

  1. It sounds like a delightful place, which certainly sparked your memories in a delightful (and delicious) way.
    I hope you can find those old papers. They sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, so glad my post had that effect on you :) Yes, I really want to find those old papers.

      Delete
  2. Looks a nice place in total. The fish and chips are looking good too.
    We have been in our winter going out every Wednesday for lunch with friends but I never think to take a photo of the food. Oh dear me, must remember next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I started taking photos of food when I began blogging and people were asking me to do that. Most everyone enjoys them and family members do that too. There's a joke (cartoon) that I have seen where a waiter asks his customers, didn't you like your food, I noticed you didn't take any photos. Made me laugh so I guess it's a tried-and-true trend these days.

      Delete
  3. Uwielbiam takie miejsca z smacznym jedzeniem i fajnym wystrojem . Miłego tygidnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję, też mi się podobają. Życzę wspaniałego tygodnia!

      Delete
  4. The restaurant has a very good decor. Love the British vibe in it except King Charles sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it also. There are a few British Pubs we know of but have only been to this one :)

      Delete
  5. Fish and chips look pretty good. Love their slogan too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That catches your eye as soon as you enter the building. I loved it too :) Thanks Angie, the fish and chips were delicious!

      Delete
  6. That's a very nice looking place. I would definitely order the fish and chips if I was there. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) I daresay we'll order the fish and chips when we go back, and maybe order 1 meal to take home for our dinner. I like going at lunchtime.

      Delete
  7. Great review on the pub and food. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Eileen, and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. It's hard to beat good fish and chips! That place sounds very interesting. The Sitting Bull story sounds interesting as well, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim and Barb, that's very true :) Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your ramblings and would like to sit in the snug on a cold day with the fire burning. the fish and chips looks wonderful.. the next best place to visit and feel like you are in London... I saw the King greeting you at the front door... so glad you found it and can go back again on the next special day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that would be the best! :) Gregg remembers when he was stationed in the UK. There would be a fish and chip van at the end of the pier where his ship was tied up. By the time he got to the gangplank, he had finished the last chip. I love that memory of his because its one you reminded me of. Going up to the chippy in the wintertime and walking and eating the fish and chips on the way home. A great memory! The King greeted us at the door but was very quiet I noticed ;)

      Delete
  10. I cannot remember the last time I had fish and chips, although there are a few places around run by Brits, there is none near us and it is certainly not a French thing!
    Glad you had a good day. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but the French have so many other tasty delights, like their baguettes. I remember the cheese also. Oh my goodness, culinary delights abound :) But I hope you get your fish and chips one day Diane. Down the road from the Hawk and Griffin there is a pasty shop run by a Brit. They are great too. We are very fortunate to have these two in the same town, and don't have to drive very far to get there, a half hour or so.

      Delete
  11. That looked so enjoyable, Denise! There is an English pub here in town. I am tempted to have lunch there, but parking is an issue for us disabled people. I am very fond of fish and chips, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about the parking Gigi. I would be interested in what you think. So glad you enjoy fish and chips also :)

      Delete
  12. This is my kind of establishment. I'm so glad you found it and enjoyed it. I'm reading up on Dublin Pubs right now and have come across snugs. In about a month we'll be enjoying a snug or two and some fish and chips or Guinness and steak pie! Have a wonderful week, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! We have friends in Dublin and more about 30 miles away from there. More good memories spent with all :) I am excited at your impending trip and will look forward to those photos. Oh my goodness, I am getting hungry again, I love Guinness and Steak Pie :) You have a wonderful week also Ellen.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. We have similar tastes Jenn :) It's wonderful isn't it?

      Delete
  14. What a fun post, Denise! We have great memories of British Pubs in the UK. Your featured place looks great with the bunting and British decor that is so welcoming. What a story about Sitting Bull! How interesting to hear about his generosity and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Martha Ellen, with your trips over there I was hoping you would have. They are so cozy, warm and inviting places. Isn't it a fascinating story?

      Delete
  15. Interesting. I would not have expected a British pub in Vienna, Virginia. But then again, I have not been in that town in a long time. I imagine it has gotten sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vienna is a nice place to walk around with its interesting shops and restaurants. I would be interested in what it looked like when you were there. My favorite pasty shop isn't too far from the Hawk and Griffin either :)

      Delete
  16. It looks and sounds a great place to visit and enjoy some fish and chips :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed it immensely :) Thanks Jan and all the best :)

      Delete
  17. I was looking for the bottle of vinegar. I thought that was soo good with the chips although we grew up thinking they had to have ketchup (of course we called them French Fries ). We don't eat much fried anything anymore, but I too would make an occasional exception for good fish and chips. ...such fun historical facts -- love the "secret snug" one.... I can't imagine how you got out of there without ordering dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was there just out of frame. The traditional vinegar is malt, one I used to have as far back as I can remember :) Glad you enjoyed this and we did get dessert, except we took it home. That was the bread pudding, yum!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!