Monday, August 28, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE - GREEK ORZO SALAD - SERVES 4


Another salad this week, this time with an Orzo pasta. There are variations of Orzo recipes on this blog, all very good.  I am happy to have found this one at Living Lou, hosted by Lou (Louisa Clements).  The original recipe can be found here.  Another for our favorites folder.  It was delicious!  Light and refreshing and perfect for summer days.  

It is also vegetarian.  You can add a protein but it is perfect as the main course as is.  I am thinking of adding garbanzo or black beans next time to round it out.  I also really love those Kalamata olives in this (already one of the ingredients).  You can change things around to include your own favorites.  

Thank you very much Lou!  If you want to read Lou's tips on this recipe, I highly recommend visiting her blog.  She also has great recipes not only to go with this one, but there are many others I would like to try later.


Greek Orzo Salad - serves 4

Preparation time: 10 minutes 

Cooking time: 10 minutes 

Total time: 20 minutes 


I am adding the above times of Lou’s basic guideline.  It always takes me longer as I pace myself, it may take you shorter, just saying.

You can make this the day before but if you do, add a little olive oil and mix in before stirring, just to loosen the pasta up a little.  This is Lou's suggestion.


For salad dressing:

3 tablespoons of olive oil

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar (we used rice wine vinegar)

1 clove garlic, grated

½ tsp salt

½ tsp dried oregano


For pasta salad

1-½ cups orzo

3 Persian cucumbers, or half a regular cucumber, chopped

1 225g package cherry tomatoes, halved (this works out to 7-7/8 ounces for us in the U.S. according to a a conversation chart online.  I bought a small container of cherry tomatoes and added them until I thought it was enough, which turned out to be the whole container.   Use however much looks good for you.)

½ green bell pepper, chopped

2 tbsp minced red onion

½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved

½ cup crumbled feta cheese


Get all ingredients measured out and ready to go.

In a measuring cup, whisk all ingredients for the dressing together.

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, add orzo and cook according to package directions. 

Drain and toss with half of the dressing while still warm. Allow to cool.

Stir in cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, green bell pepper, minced red onion, Kalamata olives, and feta followed by remaining dressing.

Serve and enjoy!


Full website address for those who prefer to cut and paste is:

https://www.livinglou.com/greek-orzo-salad/


The only changes I made today is in using a red sweet pepper instead of the green one.  Neither of us are too fond of the green.

Absolutely loved the salad dressing in this.  In another dressing I saw later, they added the lemon zest.  We both liked the sound of that.

Gregg suggested adding hot red pepper flakes, which sounds good.  However, I am sticking to without for now.  He will add the flakes to his plate at the table as a garnish.  I must be going through my ‘no heat added, thank you’ phase.  I just liked the recipe as is.  

We did substituted Japanese Rice Wine Vinegar instead of the White Wine Vinegar.  It suits our tastes perfectly.  Not sure how it would alter the taste from the White Wine Vinegar, which would be more in keeping with the Greek theme.  I don't use it often enough for me to buy a bottle when we are happy with what we have already in stock. We have used the rice wine vinegar several times in other recipes, and the results have always been very yummy, as was this one.

Because there are 4 servings to this meal, we will have the leftovers tomorrow. As much as we both enjoy putting something new together, it is always nice not to have to fuss to put a nutritious meal on the table the next time. 





32 comments:

  1. I make something very similar, and it is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good though personal preferences mean I would leave the cucumber out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understand completely, not everyone’s cup of tea. This dish lends itself to swapping ingredients :)

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing! Take care, have a great day and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen. Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a winner, esp. if you enjoy pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks refreshing and delicious! Happy last few days of August to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, thank you and can hardly believe we are almost into September. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. Orzo is one of my favorite pastas. This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like the look of it Jeanie. We enjoy orzo too :)

      Delete
  7. perfect for hot weather and looks pretty tooooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, we find it so and glad you like the look of it :)

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome dear Denise.
    I wonder if one can skip wine.
    Thanks for sharing
    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Baili and thank you :) I think it would taste good without the vinegar. I will have to try it that way. Hugs and blessings to you also.

      Delete
  9. The orzo salad looks very good, Denise. It's a good to have recipes that don't require heating the kitchen too much these hot humid days. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so Martha Ellen :) It certainly is and you have a Happy Monday also.

      Delete
  10. I make my orzo salad differently, but same result: Delicious. I might make it for my next dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Gigi, I hope you share yours sometime.

      Delete
  11. This looks like a keeper! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, thank you and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  12. Dziękuję za przepis wygląda pysznie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cieszę się, że podoba Ci się ten przepis. Dziękuję i życzę miłego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  13. Not sure if I mentioned to you, but I am part Greek myself, so your Orzo salad is calling my name. ; ) I've had it many times when we used to go to the Greek festival in my hometown. It's a delightful salad.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you didn’t and how splendid Sheri :) Your hometown festivals must have been delightful! Have you ever been to Greece? It is a place I always wanted to go to, especially to some of the islands like Mykonos. They eat such a healthy diet too and we are trying out more Mediterranean foods lately.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!