Wednesday, August 30, 2023

FEMALE CARDINAL, MOURNING DOVE, A CAROLINA WREN AND A PLANTER

Today I am showcasing the female Cardinal.  Even though she is not as showy as the distinctive red-feathered male, she is just as beautiful with her muted colors. I took these photos of her in one of the trees in our garden.

The Cardinal is the official state bird of seven states. These are Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia and West Virginia. 
They are numerous in the Southeast, and it has been extending its range northward for decades.  We can see it now on winter days as far north as southeastern Canada.  You will rarely see it west of the Great Plains but it is quite common in the desert Southwest.
Here she is after flying down to sit on the deck rail, with a cropped version from above.  We are lucky enough to see both male and female almost every day throughout the year.
Females sing mainly in spring before the start of nesting, and those nests are usually well hidden in dense shrubs, vines, or low trees. She is the one who builds them, using twigs, weeds, grass, bark strips, leaves and rootlets, lined with fine grass or hair.
Another bird I enjoy is the Mourning Dove.  There was a family of six visiting this morning.  I love to hear them cooing in the early light as I wake up, and I often call them my early alarm.  Their call and their silhouette are very easy to recognize.  Its species name is macroura, from Greek meaning "long tail."  It is among the few birds that can drink using suction.  Other birds drink water by filling their bill with the liquid, then tilting their heads back relying on gravity.  
This is a Carolina Wren.  These photos aren't the sharpest as I took them through glass and a screen.  It is another regular visitor to our garden.
A male and female Carolina Wren will form a bond at any time of the year, and will then stay together for the rest of their lives. They like to make nests in unusual places, and if you have them near your home, you might find a nest in your mailbox, flowerpots, even in your shoes and pockets if they have access.  If you wanted to encourage them, you can set up a nesting box 3 to 6 ft. off the ground.  The box can also help to provide shelter during cold or extreme weather conditions, so if you install one, leave it up throughout the winter. 
Next I am sharing one of the planters we bought in the early summer.  We purchased two and both pots are dark green with the same plants.  The flowers growing above all the other plants, the ones with the red bell-like petals, are Honeysuckle fuchsia, more info below.  I'm going to have to start pruning as everything has grown amazingly well.  The planters are hard to move and are far too heavy for me.  We do have a dolly in the garage that will help with that.  I saw a hummingbird fly near them one day, a fleeting moment and haven't seen it since.   
I was concerned that the squirrels might take a liking to them, and I would find everything strewn all over the deck, but so far, they have left them alone.  A rare win with those little rascals.

I just looked outside from staring at my computer screen, and said to Gregg, "Look at all those doves?  There must be over a dozen of them."  Well, turned out what I was seeing was double vision.  My eyes took a moment to adjust from screen to deck rail.  Husband had a puzzled look as he looked out there, and when I told him we both had a bit of a laugh.  And a mental note it's time to get my eyeglass subscription updated!

Now for the Honeysuckle Fuchsia, also known as a Firecracker Fuchsia, with a botanical name of Fuchsia triphylla.  It prefers full to partial shade, though it can tolerate more sunshine if the temperature is mild.  They are mostly grown as an annual in the U.S.  It is super easy to take care of and resists almost all pests and disease. 

And that’s all for today.






44 comments:

  1. Cute and beautiful birds. Nice to know about them. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The female cardinal is pretty. I love cardinals and have observed a pair some years ago where the female was the lead. She'd come down to the feeder while he sat on the fence. When she checked it out and said it's ok then he came to the feeder. It made me very fond of the female although I dearly love the male's colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, that seems to fit the pattern. We get a female that does the same thing, and the male follows a few minutes later :) They deserve a lot of credit.

      Delete
  3. You know my favorite has to be the spunky little Wren. I did not know about the doves drinking with suction, did not know any bird does. What a cool fact! Your planters are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I am very happy with those planters. The wrens are cute and the first time I heard one I was really surprised how loud they were. I only just found out this interesting fact about the doves myself.

      Delete
  4. Your avian visitors are glorious - and your planter box is a huge success. Glad that the squirrels have left it alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, much appreciated and as for the squirrels, I am very surprised! Keeping fingers crossed that they behave themselves ;)

      Delete
  5. You look after the birds very well and know a lot about their habits. I enjoy seeing your native garden birds as they're different from those we see in our UK gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, we try our best :) It's fun to see birds from different areas. I remember taking more note of the ones in the UK the last time we were there.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful birds and plants. I just love cardinals. They have been a favorite for a long time.
    Those planters look so pretty. I guess you keep the squirrels supplied with enough other goodies that they didn't feel the need to bother your planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann :) The squirrels seem to be more interested in the water bath until I start feeding them again. They take a running jump as it's about three feet off the ground. Considering how acrobatic they are it must be a piece of cake.

      Delete
  7. Firecracker Fuchsia sounds more bang than the generic name. The bird brings good energy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? Their good energy transfers to me as I look at them :)

      Delete
  8. The honeysuckle fuchsia is pretty, I had something similar last year. But, I couldn't find it this year. Beautiful captures of the Cardinal, Doves and the sweet Wren. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed and you take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  9. still laughing over the doves sighting. lol... I like your sweet pastel Lady Cardinal. she is beautiful. the planter is gorgeous and still has all its leaves, amazing all by itself. the sweet little wren is absolutely adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, happy it gave you a chuckle :) and that you enjoyed this post. I've been thinking of you all down your way. Hope all is well.

      Delete
  10. They are as pretty and elegant as the male ones. Those honeysuckle fuchsias are doing so good in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Angie :) Yes, I'm happy about the honeysuckle fuchsias.

      Delete
  11. We have redbirds in our area...they are so beautiful.
    Love the plants and flowers!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Donna, and thank you. Sending hugs :)

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos of the birds. That female cardinal is a beauty in her own right. Your planters look lush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, she certainly is and they do seem to be thriving those plants of ours. Keeping fingers crossed that continues :)

      Delete
  13. Excellent post! I love that female cardinal, and thanks for posting photos of her, as I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Thank you for sharing this information! Would you believe I did not know about the female Cardinal??? We saw one this spring and I had to look it up! Have a cozy afternoon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, and you are very welcome :) It's always fun to see new birds. I always get a kick out of seeing a lifer. I wish you the same cozy afternoon :)

      Delete
  15. Interesting article, and lovely pictures.
    I did not know that most birds don't drink by suction, or that wrens would nest in your shoes or pocket if they had access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, it is interesting to find these things out. Always enjoy learning :)

      Delete
  16. This is really a beautiful post. Denise! I so enjoyed lingering with your words and these beautiful birds. I especially appreciate getting to know the female cardinal better. And of course the cooing doves have always been a favorite. Thank you for putting this out into the world where we can all appreciate it. I'm wishing you both the beautiful end of the week and then weekend 😉
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so sweet of you Cloudia and you are very welcome :) Thank you and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  17. Such a lovely post, my friend. Your photos of the birds that visit you are wonderful! Such interesting facts about mourning doves using suction to drink. Why didn't I realize this as we watch them at our large bird bath and I should have noticed this. Lovely to learn something new every day, thank you. Your planter choice of florals is really nice. I'm so glad the rascal squirrels have left them alone. I've found when a planter is full of flowers they tend to not dig! But who knows what they will do. I have some clay pots that we have noticed squirrels eating something on the edges of them. Grayden said maybe it's salt they are looking for. Who knows? Nature is full of those "who knows" moments for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hello to you too my dear friend :) I am so happy you enjoyed my post. I didn’t know about the doves either and was quite surprised. Interesting the squirrels don’t dig in your planters, and Grayden is probably right. I know butterflies do this so why not squirrels? I agree, who knows, they are unpredictable little darlings who continuously keep me entertained, as I have mentioned many times before :) Very true about nature.

      Delete
  18. P.S. Did you delete your post, "It's No Bad Thing?" I was going to read it but got a message that the page did not exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Great Granny Grandma, I posted it prematurely and pulled it for a couple of days, but it will be published tomorrow for sure :) I will try not to do that again as I realize it causes confusion.

      Delete
  19. You take such marvelous bird photos, Denise. And that planter is a stunner. I hope Bushy Squirrel leaves it alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Jeanie, I am always happy you enjoy what I take. So far so good on the squirrel front, and fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  20. Lovely pictures! That reminds me, I need to go put water in the birdbath.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!