Monday, August 14, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - THE BEST CUCUMBER SALAD

This salad was found at Nutmeg Nanny hosted by Brandy.  Lately we've been thinking about making a cucumber salad.  No doubt you've got your favorites but as I haven't made one in a very long time, we searched online and this popped up. It has no mayonnaise, no oil but does have 3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar. There are 6 servings and only 37 calories a serving.  The original recipe is here. A very refreshing summer side-salad.

Brandy's Best Cucumber Salad – serves 6

Calories per serving 37:

From prep to table: 2 hours 15 minutes (up to 2 hours marinating the cucumber but ours was only in the marinade for 20 minutes or so.  It was delicate and delicious.)


1 lb. mini cucumbers, thinly sliced (Persian cucumbers are nice, or hot house cucumbers.  You can use regular but as the skin is thick, best to peel them.  I have bought the Persians but I can't get them that often. The packet on the ones at our local supermarket just said miniature cucumbers.  See info below recipe on related websites) 

1 small red onion, thinly sliced

3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon dried dill

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper


Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine.

Cover, and place in the refrigerator and let sit for at least 2 hours to help the flavors develop.

Serve cold.


We both enjoyed this.  See the original recipe for all Brandy's tips.  

I wouldn't change a thing on this one, but I did notice that I used plain rice wine vinegar and not seasoned.

We built our meal around the cucumber salad, and had the ingredients already.

A package of frozen Firecracker Shrimp from Wegmans. It comes with a tasty sweet chili sauce packet which I used on my shrimp and rice after serving.  We have had these before and thoroughly enjoy them but next time I would like to try regular steamed shrimp.

Up to a cup of Frozen Trader Joe's Jasmine Rice, cooked to package directions.  There are three packets to a box and we use 1 box that we place in the microwave for three minutes.  It is nice on busy days.

Crudités consisting of slices of 1 sweet pepper (prefer red, orange or yellow), thinly sliced radishes, and stuffed celery with a commercial pimiento cheese.  Also whipped cream cheese goes well.  I stuff the celery stick and cut into bite sized pieces and they are a tasty treat.  This is old school so you probably do this yourself.  I used to use peanut butter for our son when packing his school lunches.

My plate looks like it has an orange crab on top!  Ah well, you win some, you lose some.  All that being said, the veggies suited our taste, and the combination was what we would choose again. Very yummy!


The full address of the salad is below:

https://www.nutmegnanny.com/the-best-cucumber-salad/

I found an interesting website on the different kinds of cucumbers at this address here.


Another website with good information here but there are a lot of pop-ups.


Thanks for looking, 

and have a great week!





36 comments:

  1. Simple, quick and so deliciously crunchy! Have a fabulous week ahead, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, itit is everything as you describe :) I wish you the same fabulous week.

      Delete
  2. Not for me. I really, really don't like cucumber. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I know, not everyone’s fave :) Gregg and I were having a discussion about okra. I can’t stand it but told him to put it on the shopping list. It is so good for you apparently but not for me.

      Delete
  3. So pretty and fancy. Befitting company, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny! It would make a very nice side for company :)

      Delete
  4. Smacznie wygląda ta sałatka i pewnie jest bardzo smaczna. Dziękuję za przepisy . Na pewno spróbuję zrobić te potrawy. Miłego dnia życzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo się cieszę, że mogę dzielić się znalezionymi przepisami. Dziękuję i cieszę się, że Ci się podoba. życzę bardzo udanego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  5. Rather partial to cucumber, these smaller ones are good though Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Margaret, we love those smaller cucumbers :)

      Delete
  6. I can not eat cucumbers, but it does look yummy! Take care, have a great day and happy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated your comment Eileen, especially as you don’t eat them. Thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious. I love cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mama used to make this when i was a child, we had all the cukes we could eat, she pickled them to save them because we could not eat them all. when she made this, she had to take mine out before adding onion. i do not and never have and never will eat onions. its delish without them, i still slice them and add vinegar and a little salt/pepper and keep them in the fridge to nibble on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this wonderful memory Sandra :) onions or no onions, this would still be delicious.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful plate for these hot days we're experiencing, Denise! I have an English cucumber in the crisper so I'll give this one a try. We love cucumbers and find them refreshing! Have a lovely day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dear Friend :) so glad and thank you. You have a lovely day also.

      Delete
  10. I do a variation of this, it is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, would love to see your version sometime Christine :)

      Delete
  11. That looks way too healthy for me but thought your picture did look like a crab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthy but tasty, I promise! Agree on that crab, I have decided to call him Fred, haha! :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, this looks like a really good and healthy meal, Denise. I just bought some breaded shrimp at the store and looking forward to making it. There is always something wonderful cooking in your kitchen. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) Happy you think so. Enjoy your shrimp!

      Delete
  13. Interesting recipe, bookmarked for when I pick our next cucumber which will be very soon. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, and what can be better than your very own homegrown cucumber. Thank you Diane and cheers :)

      Delete
  14. We love cucumbers and will enjoy this tasty way to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We happen to be cucumber fans here! So thanks for that cool chart. It's always such a pleasure to be at table with you. Thank you for inviting us. Aloha, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia! It is always super having you at our table :) you are welcome any time.

      Delete
  16. I love salads with no mayo. I have a potluck tomorrow night and hadn't decided what to bring. I think I'll make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks Jeanie :)

      Delete
  17. The next time we get a cucumber, I plan to try this salad, Denise. As you noted it makes for a good side dish and colorful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I hope you like this as much as we did :)

      Delete
  18. The ingredients are agreeable to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!