Monday, June 3, 2024

A BLOG BREAK - MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - CREAMY CAULIFLOWER AU GRATIN

Hello Dear Friends, it has been a while but I am taking a blog break. I hope to be back in a couple weeks.
My photos for this recipe didn’t turn out very well. At the end of the cooking time I decided to put it under the broiler to give it a nice golden brown color.  Unfortunately, I got distracted and forgot!  It wasn’t too long past what I intended but it got a bit burnt in parts, which I tried to rescue by scraping said burnt bits off the top. Fortunately it didn’t detract from the taste and was actually a delicious tasting recipe.  But!!! I must remember to ‘babysit’ next time, and not leave it to fend for itself. Even with all this being said, we gave it a 10 out of 10.

The recipe comes from Laughing Spatula hosted by Kathi and Rachel. It is an Ina Garten recipe and they increased the amount of cheese sauce and cauliflower for a bigger casserole.You can see theirs at this link. Their recipe index can be found here. Ina's recipe is at the Food Network website here. I always recommend going to the food blog where I find my recipes. Always fun to look through them for others and also to see the great photos for this one, plus the tips. Also suggestions as to what main course would go well as an accompaniment.


Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin

Servings: 8

Calories:  268 per serving


8 cups cauliflower florets about 3 pounds

4 tablespoons butter

1/3 cup flour

3 cups milk 2 percent or whole

1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated Swiss is a great substitute

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


For Topping:

1/2 cup panko crumbs regular bread crumbs would work too

1/3 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

1 tablespoon butter, melted


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Separate cauliflower into florets and either steam for 5 minutes or boil in large pot of water for 5 minutes, until just barely tender. Drain and set aside.

In sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 1/3 cup of flour and whisk until smooth and mixture is bubbling.

Add milk and continue to stir until thickened. Add one cup of gruyere cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until melted. Sauce should cover the back of a spoon.

Pour 1/3 of the sauce into an au gratin baking dish or baking dish about that same size.We used a 9 x 13 inch baking dish but a10 x 10 was suggested. If using the 9 x 13 the casserole will be a bit thinner.

Place partly cooked cauliflower on top. Sprinkle with salt.

Pour remaining sauce on top of second layer of cauliflower.

For Topping: combine melted butter, gruyere and bread crumbs in small bowl. Sprinkle on top of cauliflower.

Bake for 30 minutes or until top is crispy and cauliflower is tender.


Notes

Substitute swiss cheese or any other big flavored cheese in place of gruyere.

Do not use fat free milk. Whole milk is best.  2% in a pinch. (Denise: I always use 2% and it still tastes creamy enough for us.)

Par cook the cauliflower until just barely fork tender, careful not to over cook.


 

Some of the comments asked at the end of the recipe I found interesting. 

1) Can you use coconut milk.The answer was yes, it would thicken up just like regular milk.

2) Can you make the day before and reheat? Yes and for best results assemble, cover and refrigerate, then bake next day if possible.

3) Can you use frozen cauliflower or would that be too mushy? That answer was yes, it would be mushy, but still delicious, only with more of a mashed potato consistency.

4) One commenter's store didn't have Gruyère cheese, so they used a good quality sharp Cheddar cheese. Also they were only cooking for one so used 1/2 the measurements. She loved the recipe. (Denise’s note: the only cheese I ever used before Gruyère was Cheddar. Always delicious! I did enjoy the creamy taste of the Gruyère however.)

This is a recipe I remember making at school in my Domestic Science Class. I took it home afterwards for my family, and happy to say it was a big success. It became a regular one from then on and my dear mother was very happy as it was the start of me helping her with making dinners. She appreciated the extra hands.

Laughing Spatula's website for this recipe can be found here:

https://laughingspatula.com/creamy-cauliflower-au-gratin/


Ina Garten's recipe can be found at Food Network here:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cauliflower-gratin-recipe-1917463

Blog hostess note: Would pair great with a baked ham or a roast chicken!  

Denise’s note: My protein part of the meal was already cooked and frozen lobster cakes from Trader Joe. There were two in one package, one for each of us, and at first my dear other half wasn’t too keen. I wasn’t so sure either but wanted to try one time for something special, but easy, on Memorial Day. (It was just the two of us.) However, as they were small cakes, I persuaded him to try at least one time. I was very happy when he said he enjoyed them so much, that he would definitely have them again.

An already cooked rotisserie chicken from your favorite supermarket would be a wonderful and easy addition, not to mention a faster prep time in the kitchen. In fact, for the second night’s meal, we bought one from CostCo.  We always enjoy theirs.  

I added a mixed green salad.  

Instead of using store-bought panko crumbs, I had a large-ish heel of sourdough bread left, broke it into pieces and put into a blender. I whirled it long enough to make into breadcrumbs, and followed the recipe from there.

There were leftovers for two more meals. At dinner the next day it tasted even better. We still had leftovers after the second time, smaller portions this time for a light snack.

Blog host’s final note: You want the cauliflower just slightly fork tender. Careful not to over cook so you don’t have cauliflower mush casserole. Would still taste good…just mushy.











39 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! Even kids who hate cauliflower would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burned? Where? I love mine very browned. This is a great low carb option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely. Enjoy your break, look forward to your return Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious - and something I make from time to time. Just for me since the other household resident doesn't like cauliflower. Hiss loss.
    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your break and come back refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute measuring cup sign off. Denise. Thanks for the recipe. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cauliflower cheese and yes I remember making it at school as well in Domestic Science class. Enjoy your weeks break I have just had a month's break simply due to lack of time!! We have a big garden and it has been hard to keep up with all the rain we have been having!! Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great to me and sounds delicious.. I love cauliflower

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy! Enjoy your break, I hope you will be doing something fun.
    Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks soooooo good. I love cauliflower. Hope you have fun on your blog break.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious.. you share a lot if recipes that sound good. BS,(before the stroke) Roger would have liked this..but the stroke changed his likes and dislikes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too like cauliflower and will be having it as a side with tonight’s dinner, Denise, and as tempting as this recipe is, it will be bypassed now for the sake of saving calories (sigh). Also, many of the needed ingredients are not currently in stock in our apt, which is a good thing for us😉.

    Enjoy your blog break as everyone needs these and I hope that you and Gregg do something fun for both😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds good. So do the frozen lobster cakes. We are just getting our first Trader Joe in our area (usually we have to travel to one). I'm going to get some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise enjoy your break...and I hope there are some lovely walks taken
    I had a nice one this morning.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your break! The cauliflower looks fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! Thank you for sharing this. It sounds delicious. Enjoy your break, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious. Have a nice blog break, Denise. It's nice to take some time away for awhile. We come back refreshed and ready to go again. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds delicious. My husband draws the line on cauliflower dishes. Take time to wander about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its nearly dinner time and this had my mouth watering. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How I love cauliflowers. Unfortunately, I do not eat dairy products (milk, cream, yogurt)
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks Good! Happy Blog Break!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  22. i wanted to tell you that i really appreciate these entries, i know they must take you a lot of time!! i am not a huge fan of cauliflower but my mom would love this, i will make it for her taking your advice to serve it with chicken, i can get her one from costco!! we have a small sign in our kitchen, don't broil and text!! i will miss you during your break, have fun and do a few special things!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoy cauliflower any way it’s served. Enjoy your break from blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks fine to me :)

    Have an enjoyable blog break.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad it was still good. Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Denise, I will miss you while you are on a break. I do hope you enjoy your time away. I seem to take a lot of those breaks. The cauliflower recipe looks divine. I will be making this when I get a head of cauliflower. Take care of yourself, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for another great recipe. Cauliflower is so versatile. But also so expensive! I like the golden colors on the pic. Had you not said anything I'd say it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks divine to me!
    Yummm! 😋

    Enjoy your break.
    Looking forward to your return, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I used to absolutely hate cauliflower growing up. Then I went to someone's house and was obligated to eat it. It was a load cauliflower dish, I loved it! Now it is on our rotation of meals.

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow i loved this unique and delicious looking dish dear Denise
    i love season when cauliflower is available :)
    thanks for sharing the recipe
    enjoy your break !
    best wishes for all you up to in days ahead !

    ReplyDelete
  31. I make something similar but hadn't ever thought about the crumb topping -- that sounds like it would make it extra special . enjoy your break Denise! I've been doing that pretty often lately without even knowing I meant to ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great recipe for cauliflower. I haven't made this for ages but it will be back on the menu. Thank you for sharing and reminding me about this delicious comfort recipe.
    Enjoy your blog break whatever you are doing and stay well. Look forward to seeing you when you return, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I must admit, that looks good but I prefer my cauliflower faw.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My goodness but that looks yummy. I do like cauliflower but hardly ever make it as I am the only one who eats it around here. But I think I could entice others with this yummy recipe. I hope you are enjoying your blog break and that summer is treating you well!! Enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!