Thursday, June 27, 2024

NEABSCO CREEK BOARDWALK - FIVE YEARS SINCE OUR LAST VISIT - PART 1

I have a few places we visited before my blog break. 

 We were surprised after checking my blog to see when we visited the last time. Our previous trip was not too long after the boardwalk had opened, and you can see that post at this link. It was hot and humid on our second visit, not as long a walk for us as we know our limits with the heat. However, what we did was very enjoyable.

You can read its history at this website if you like. In part it reads:

"The creek was first mapped by Captain John Smith in 1608. By the early 18th century, Neabsco was an important waterway to the local community. John Tayloe built Neabsco Iron Furnaces and began producing iron ore. It was located a short distance upstream from the wetlands. The Neabsco Iron Furnaces were so vital to the American military that the British government ordered the furnaces to be destroyed during the War of 1812. The mission failed. Tayloe's Furnace continued in operation until the 1920s."

Lots more info at the links above.


From the parking lot it was a bit of a walk to the entrance of the marsh, and I took the opportunity of looking at the various flowers and fauna along the way. This is Daisy fleabane and is native to North America. It grows in 43 of our 50 States. Daisy fleabane has also been introduced to other places around the world. It is very popular with bees, flies, wasps and butterflies as a source of nectar, but is considered invasive and is threatening the native ecosystem wherever they grow. Historically, it was burned or dried in sachets to repel fleas, gnats, flies and all other manner of insects, though there is little evidence of it working as an insect repellent. More info here.


I spotted this Trumpet vine and Gregg took these photos. Also known as Hummingbird vine and it is an easy guess that Hummingbirds visit them for their nectar, and also bees and butterflies. Botanical name is Campsis radicans and it is originally native to North America.


Trumpet vine is very hardy and easy to care for once it is established. Able to grow to 30 feet tall, it has strong, clinging tendrils that allow it to attach itself to garden structures like pergolas or trellises. Great if you would like its shade but it does need at least six hours of sun a day. So, an easy to maintain plant and is drought tolerant. Important to note however, that it grows fast and needs an occasional pruning to keep it in check. And its growth needs to be monitored to prevent damage to structures. Nearby plants could also be overwhelmed.


I was happy to find the ladybug(?).  I asked my dear other half to let me know if he saw anything, and soon after he pointed this out to me.  All I could get was this sideways view and it disappeared quickly.
  

Gregg is looking at one of several information boards, and he was pointing to where we were located. While we were studying it, a couple only a few years older than us, appeared. They were finishing their walk and were on their way back to the parking lot. They smiled, we smiled back and they immediately started chatting. We had a delightful time and they were super nice. It is lovely to meet fellow nature lovers on these walks. They told us of other places where they like to go, and we told them about ours. I do believe that if the sun had not been beating down on our heads, our conversation would have lasted longer but we were very thankful for the one we had. Such a sweet couple and as I may have mentioned before, it's these short interludes that add to a very enjoyable walk.


Everywhere was lush and green and I was drawn to this large leaf. It is from the Persian silk tree. I am more familiar with the name Mimosa. Botanical name Albizia julibrissin.  There were none of the fan-like blooms that I remember, yet. 


They lined a large part of our walking path. The flowers apparently have a mild, sweet scent and are also visited by hummingbirds, butterflies and bees. It can purify air and has a strong resistance to sulfur dioxide. It thrives in full sun. It originated from Persia, and that's why it is called the Persian silk tree. It was introduced to the United States in 1745, and cultivated as an ornamental tree due to its fragrant and beautiful blooms. Unfortunately, it is now considered invasive in North Carolina and other parts of the Southeastern United States. The genus name, Albizia, honors Filippo degli Albizzia, an Italian naturalist who introduced the Silk tree to Tuscany, Italy. The species name, Julibrissin, comes from the Persian word "gul-i brisham" which means silk flower. I found all this information and more on this website.


The following very attractive leaf I am assuming is the Staghorn Sumac, botanical name Rhus typhina. I say assuming because my plant app told me it was Tree of Heaven, a very invasive plant. The description read that it is very similar to the Staghorn Sumac, and as I know for a fact that this plant grows everywhere around here, that's what I am sticking with. I looked at several photos of the Staghorn online, and will stay with that ID until I am told differently. If more knowledgeable naturalists out there think I am wrong, please let me know. Always grateful to get help when identifying my photos.


This is all for plant ID's today. I have more but will be sharing them in tomorrow’s post. 


I was very happy that Gregg spotted a bunny!  Hard to tell in the photo above, but the arrow points the way. Gregg is an excellent spotter! 


Bless his little heart, he was staying perfectly still. His survival instincts were kicking in. A bit shy and did not turn in our direction, though sweetie had a wary eye on us.


We were still on our walking path and after taking a few photos we moved on and left him in peace. Not too much wildlife this day, but sweet little bunny was enough, and we considered him another gift.


That's about all for this post. I have more that I will share tomorrow. 

Thanks for visiting and have a great day everyone.










17 comments:

  1. My favorite is the Daisy Fleabane! It is so frilly!!! The bunny looks so hard to spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so interesting. As a matter of fact the Albizia trees in Hawaii have really become a HUGE problem in Hawaii. They are trying to remove them, but it's very difficult now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nature shots and exploration are always fun to read about

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great informative post with super photos. I noticed that Greg has the same camera as I have but I don't have a big lens like that. My camera stays in the cupboard most of the time now while I use my phone. I'm getting so lazy in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How rewarding to see the wonderful plants and then a bunny! Thank you hunny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for taking us with you. We have a silk tree in our yard - and love its blooms. It is prone to attack by borers though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The walk was interesting because you have a variety of plants with photos of them and lots of information. We have those daisies growing in our garden and have seen the trumpet plant on our travels in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful place to get out and enjoy nature. That bunny looks like the one that was in my front yard last week when I went out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the photo that made me smile is the very last one. those ears are just toooo precious for words. he/she is well hidden in the bushes until he is not. love it. we live in FL Furnace. ha ha.... I know what you mean about sun beating on the head. our back yard is like that. love the daisies and that trumpet vine is beautiful but there is is invasive, and bob had battled it for years and this year can't battle and it will take over the trees, power lines and the house if allowed. it requires MUCH trimming here in the sub tropics, our power lines are covered in ti and the tops of trees

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos to look at and to see what you have seen Denise.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a pleasure to meet and chat to other people and adds to the pleasure of a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Denise
    What a lovely walk , I love the plants, flowers and the cute bunny. Nature is grand!
    Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't take a proper morning walk in almost 10 days. Mornings are humid and miserable. Today is out 18th day of 90+ temperatures.
    I enjoyed your walk and the bunny hop made me giggle
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. we have things on our bucket list that we will never get to because of the heat and humidity. it's such a shame that these beautiful gardens are at their best when it is too hot to view them. we have been looking for some things we can do indoors!! greg is a good "spotter", chuck is as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that plant is a sumac. I once planted a trumpet vine and it grew into a monster. I won’t do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect Photos Denise!
    Looks like an amazing place!
    We also have these flowers here and it's amazing to find similarities!
    It is so good that the natural environment has been preserved !!
    Thanks for the ride, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!