Friday, June 28, 2024

NEABSCO CREEK BOARDWALK - FIVE YEARS SINCE OUR LAST VISIT - PART 2

These are the signs in the parking lot and we looked at them before we began our walk.


I was curious about the name 'Neabsco', and we thought it was probably from the language of the indigenous people who lived in the area before the first English colonists arrived.  'Neabsco’ is derived from a Doeg village recorded as Niopsco by those early English colonists.

What I like about this boardwalk is that it is wider than most I have walked along, at 10 feet wide and 3,300 feet long. It has a two-level observation deck, a single-level observation deck and three overlooks. The decks and overlooks provide opportunities for outdoor classroom use, so that's nice to know.  I am assuming, however, that these classes are to do with nature and learning about the area, offered by the park authority. Or perhaps there are schools who take students on outings. Whatever the reason I would much rather be outside learning something than surrounded by walls.Weather permitting of course and couldn't see it happening with rain, snow or extreme heat and heavy humidity (speaking as not a stalwart). 


The following plant is a Wineberry, botanical name Rubus phoenicolasius. It is native to northeast Asia but has been naturalized both in Europe and North America as an ornamental plant, introduced to the eastern shores of the U.S. in the late 1800s, as a breeding stock for cultivating new varieties of berries. 


It is edible and the berries have been mistaken for blackberries and raspberries as these berries are also made up of clusters of small bright red berries. On closer inspection you will notice the plant's stem is covered in thick, stiff, red hairs, and these identify it as a wineberry, along with the reddish appearance of its stems caused by those dense red hairs. It also has silvery underleaf surfaces. And there you have it, a Wineberry. It is also found throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and the Delaware Valley. Not only for humans but deer, chipmunks, box turtles and birds all enjoy. Bears will gorge on them, as will many other mammals no doubt. 


We are approaching the entrance to the boardwalk.


Since we were here the first time, these designs have been added to each gate.


As soon as we entered we noticed on our right there were a group of friends who were fishing. They seemed to be quietly enjoying themselves.  No fishing is allowed from the boardwalk.


Just beyond the fishermen was the scene in the photo below, a cropped version. There seem to be beavers here as on the left of the above photo, we could make out a beaver dam. 


On the other side of the boardwalk is this scene.


That evening when I was looking at the photos on my laptop, I was just saying that we couldn't get a photo of any of the birds. We saw them flitting from tree to tree, even hopping around in the undergrowth, but we were not able to get a photo of any feathered friend.  As I looked at the photo above I saw a splash of red, and cropped it to get a clearer look. It was a male cardinal. It is something at least.


We did get our doggy fix for the day. This little pup was heading towards us. As soon as they got close, pup started pulling on his leash, tugging hard and eager to say hello. The lady kept a tight hold as I suspect she was afraid he would jump all over us and she was trying to calm him down.  (He looks like an Australian Shepherd.) 


We tried to allay her fears by letting her know we didn't mind at all. We would have interacted with pup, but we could see the lady was concerned he might be too much for us. We smiled, said hello and left them so that pup would stop tugging so hard.  But I ask you, would you look at that face? So adorable! I'm sure he will eventually be much calmer when meeting other humans. I think this was perhaps part of his training session. He was learning how to explore the world around him.


Dear little pup! They were leaving the boardwalk, training session over with.  We continued our walking.


Here's Gregg and you can see how nice this boardwalk is.  It is very well maintained. 


A photo of the two of us. This is where we had decided the humidity was too much and turned back. We had quite a long way to go before getting back to our car.


It was a lovely walk and I hope it won't be another five years before we get back. In our last photo we were heading home.


Thanks for coming along with us 
and I hope your day is a great one!






29 comments:

  1. Lovely dog, and wonderful photos, the photo of the two of you is good.
    The Northern Cardinal look good in flight, you did well.
    Enjoyed all Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, much appreciated :) That cardinal was a very nice surprise, especially as I took the photo with my cell phone.

      Delete
  2. Wineberries are new to me - and look interesting. What a wonderful outing for you - and I am glad that you turned back when the humidity got too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, it was very nice but my limits in this kind of humidity are very shallow. And I no longer wait until my face turns all kinds of purples and blues :)

      Delete
  3. What a wondeful place. I don't think I've ever seen wineberry before. It's a very interesting looking plant.
    That dog is beautiful. I would have wanted to stop and give him some ear scritches but of course if owner seems reluctant I would have backed off and kept moving.
    Love the picture of you and Greg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, we don't take too many photos to share. What I like about this place is that it is nice and flat. It's hard enough to get around on a humid day without there being any hills involved, and this place was especially welcome. I would have loved to give ear scritches to this beauty, but reading the room so to speak, we didn't want to add to this lady's discomfort.

      Delete
  4. Hello,
    That is a nice boardwalk and park. The puppy dog is so cute. Great capture of the Cardinal in flight. Take care, have a happy day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, he sure was and the cardinal was a happy happenstance :) I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. The inflight red cardinal is well captured! Very summery series

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mere mention of the word “boardwalk” triggers happiness in my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile David, I feel the same way :)

      Delete
  7. Cute!! Love the photo of the two of you! That is a very nice boardwalk. Enjoy the last weekend in June! We are heading out of town...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad, thank you Ellen :) I wish you the same and have a wonderful trip out of town.

      Delete
  8. the pup is beautiful and adorable. LOVE the painted face... got a laugh out of the levitating cardinal which appears to be a Photoshop addition to the sky that went awry and he lost his legs. made me laugh. you were lucky to get it with him flying and against that sky... I like boardwalks in shade, especially in the heat.. most of the ones here are in jungle type stuff. its a lovely place to visit, you do find a lot of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look twice at that cardinal Sandra, it did look like an add on but not this time :) Lucky and oblivious! Commiserating that I didn't get any bird photos and there he was, the levitating cardinal. Loved your description of him, he really does look like he is levitating. I well remember the boardwalks in some of the nature reserves down in Florida. I loved how they were in the middle of a swampy area, not all I know but one comes to mind particularly. Loved the tropical feel to it.

      Delete
  9. Board walks above a wet land are my favorites. You're right there with the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I love them. You see so many interesting sights. My other favorite nature park has a boardwalk over the marshland. I am eager to get back to it but maybe when it's not quite so hot and humid :)

      Delete
  10. I love nature areas with boardwalks...
    What a pretty pup. and the cardinal WOW~
    Happy Friday
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful aren't they? Thank you Cecilia, I hope your Friday has been a happy one also. Hugs Denise :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I agree, it does look lovely. I'm hoping to get a tour of the place soon :)

      Delete
  12. Well done with the cardinal! I love the gate design. Wow. This looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenn :) I loved the gate design also and was very happy to see the cardinal.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful little puppy. The wineberries look very prickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures.
    You got some great shots of the dog, and I spotted the bird in the sky even though it looked very tiny. I also enjoyed seeing the picture of you and your hubby.
    My daughter lives in Shannondale, WV and there are a lot of wineberries where she lives. She goes wineberry picking every year and turns them into delicious pies and other baked goods, and one time even made jelly donuts with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra and thank you :) How wonderful about your daughter going wineberry picking. This gives me a clearer image of what the wineberry is. I bet her pies are incredible :) and would love to make those jelly donuts.

      Delete
  15. Walks have not been part of my routine lately because it has been humid. There was a breeze yesterday, but not today. I'm sure you enjoyed your walk especially on the well maintained broadwalk with opportunities to stop and chat with those walking their dogs. The gates at the entrance have attractive designs and it's always interesting to hear about the plants you saw on your walk.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!