Sunday, July 23, 2023

LEGO EXHIBIT ON NATURE AT GLEN BURNIE GARDENS IN WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA. - PART 2

For a change I thought I would post the last photos of Sean Kenney's Nature Connects Exhibit today.  I normally take Sunday off from blogging.  

Before I continue, I would like to once again thank Linda at "The View from Squirrel Ridge" who shared that there was a Lego Exhibit here.  Thanks to Linda we had a wonderful time looking at several animals in the exhibit.  Hard to imagine they were all put together with Lego bricks, quite amazing works of art.
These first few photos were taken inside the museum before we actually went to the garden. It was where we purchased our tickets.  (There is also a booth right outside the garden entrance which we used on our last visit.)  I also wanted to pop into their gift shop as I was looking for a few stocking stuffers.  I know I am starting early but if we go anywhere a little different, like a museum which is somewhere we don't go to all the time, I am always on the lookout for small gifts.  This is not only for December but also for birthdays and special occasions (I was lucky and found a few items made locally, which is always nice).  I don't need an excuse to walk around a gift shop, truth be told.  I love to browse even when I don't buy anything.  
I noticed the bats hanging from the ceiling.  There was a sign nearby, but I wasn't looking for them at the time and missed taking its photo.  There are 1,100 species of bats worldwide, with 40 species in the United States alone.  I found this out while reading 10 Fun Bat Facts at The Nature Conservancy website.  The other information is very interesting also, which you will be able to see if you click on the name above.  One fact that I found very interesting was that bats can eat up to 1,200 mosquitoes an hour.
Near the entrance to the garden.
You will see this nearby.  A fun photo opportunity for the little kiddos and the big kiddos.
The Coral Reef complete with Seahorses.
The sign came out blurry but I think the number of bricks was 83,516, and it took 564 hours to build.




The Sandhill Crane.  
I saw a pair once on a road trip going across country.  It seemed like they were dancing in a field.  I have always remembered that moment.  Information about this delightful bird can be found here.

63,379 bricks used and it took 580 hours.
I had to smile when a couple spoke to me about this beautiful piece.  They were husband and wife in their forties.   The husband explained that when his wife had told him she would like to go to a Lego exhibit, he was thinking they were like the ones he had played with in his childhood.  He said, okay, we can go, wondering why she would want to in the first place.  He was very surprised to see the ones here.  He finished off by "These are really cool aren't they?" at which I replied, "They certainly are!"


88,361 bricks and it took 726 hours to build. 
The name rhinoceros means ‘nose horn’.  It comes from Ancient Greek words: rhino (nose) and ceros (horn).
They are also herbivores (plant eaters).  Other interesting facts can be found here.
It seems fitting to end my post with the Chameleon, having started out with the sign inside the museum.
Among the most fascinating animals on earth, chameleons are endowed with many unique adaptations—independently rotating eyes, shooting tongues, prehensile tails, and (last but not least) the ability to change their color.  They also have the ability to see ultraviolet light.  These facts and more can be found here.
That's all I have of the Lego animals.  I missed a couple only because by the time we had walked all over the garden, it would have meant backtracking to see them.  By that time the heat and humidity was getting too much, and we decided we can always come back at the beginning of September, or earlier.  We have until September 4th.  Fingers crossed that we get back in time.


We were both very impressed with Mr. Kenney's animals.  They were amazing!  If you are ever in the area I can highly recommend going.

There are several YouTube videos at the address I have given below for you to get an idea of what they are like.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sean+kenney+lego+artist

He can also be seen here:

https://seankenney.com/about/



You can find my first post on the exhibit if you click here.  Other photos taken at the garden on this trip, accompanying a poem, can be seen at this link.


There will be one other post from Glen Burney, which will be my last for a while, at least until we go there again.  I will be sharing more photos of the garden area.





42 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so glad you posted on this Sunday. I think my favorite is the coral reef. But it looks like the Chameleon would have been the hardest to make. The first bat photo, the bat on the far left also looks like a Klingon spaceship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy I posted on Sunday now, thanks Ginny! It's always fun to see a favorite. I like it too but I think I was very taken with the snow leopard. I love watching nature shows on them. I also enjoy shows on the ocean. Those coral reefs are stunning and with all the life they are home to. And yes, I can see the Klingon spaceship :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour. We've seen an indoor Lego exhibit in K.C. To visit the Lego hands-on play and create center, adults are required to bring a child. The center has 1 or 2 days a month when an adult can come without a kid. Cool animals; the coral is my favorite. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda :) That exhibit sounds like a great place.

      Delete
  3. Wow, wow and wow. They are all amazing but the snow leopard has my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,that snow leopard was really something :)

      Delete
  4. Loved seeing these, so beautifully done. Thanks for sharing Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Margaret, and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  5. WOW, these are amazing. What a fun place to visit. I'm the same way about browsing in gift shops. Whether I buy or not I always enjoy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly amazing Anne :) Browsing is so much fun isn’t it?

      Delete
  6. I would definitely go to this Lego exhibition if I were in the area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could :) I know you would enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. The crane and leopard are my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    What a fun exhibit, I would like to see these Lego animals.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, it was great to see them. You take care and have a wonderful week also :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Greetings Gosia, and thank you :) It was very interesting.

      Delete
  10. there is no other word to say but Amazing! and I have said it each time. beyond the descriptive words I know to use. bring on the bats, the bugs are HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing says it all Sandra :) That word kept popping into my head every time I saw each animal. Bats, as you read about them, are so important to our planet and play a very important role to its health.

      Delete
  11. That is some serious talent. I would not have the patience. Love the fun facts you provided as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree :) and I am happy you enjoyed the facts I included. Thanks Jim and Barb.

      Delete
  12. Outstanding exhibit!!! I would have loved it. They are all so beautiful, but if I had to choose the one I liked most, it would be the seahorses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Gigi and thank you :) The seahorse is quite remarkable to see, both as an exhibit and the real thing.

      Delete
  13. We all enjoyed these photos so much, Denise! I can't think of another adjective to describe this lovely exhibit! Our grand said he loved the Snow Leopard and thought you may have as well. He said that Sean captured him in such a majestic way! Do they take them apart to move them, I'm wondering? What a shame that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha and I really appreciate you telling me that you all enjoyed :) As you know I love all things in nature, but the snow leopard is special to me. Your grand's description was perfect. I don't believe they take them apart as there is a metal frame underneath where the Legos are glued to them, to give them more stability. I seem to remember that from one of their videos.

      Delete
  14. Wow! Thank you for posting this, Denise! These are incredible art pieces. I'm going to show them to my grandsons so they can see the potential of LEGOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely Kay and you are very welcome :) it is amazing what can be done with those little bricks.

      Delete
  15. Byłam w podobnym miejscu w Bilund.w Danii . Super są te figury z klocków. Miłego tygodnia😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wspaniały! Czytałem, że ta wystawa porusza się po Ameryce. Zastanawiam się, czy twój jest powiązany z tym artystą. Mój mąż przeczytał, że mieszka w Amsterdamie. Myślałem, że powiedział, ale mogę się mylić.

      Delete
  16. Truly amazing, I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you enjoyed Jan :) Thank you very much.

      Delete
  17. I love the crane, and the iguana is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I especially enjoyed the "nose-horn"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Mark, that was a fun fact to find out about :)

      Delete
  19. That is such a cool Legos exhibit. And it really spoke to me, as my son LOVED Legos when he was growing up. Wow, look at that rhino! The leopard is something else too! Such creative people out there.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way Sheri. Your son and my son :))) That rhino was really cleverly done and yes, I loved the snow leopard. I always admire the talent of people who create things such as these.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!