Friday, July 28, 2023

A THOUGHT PROVOKING QUOTE

 A change of pace, which I like to do sometimes.  This quote jumped out at me this morning. What applied in 1971 applies even more urgently today.   I try very hard to do my part.  Even a small snowball rolling downhill turns into a giant one as it gathers momentum.  

This wise little character is Pogo the Possum.  A memory: my father-in-law used to read newspaper cartoons every day, and my dear other half said he remembers his father reading this one.  I have happy memories of Sunday mornings spent with my in-laws on our visits; mother-in-law doing her New York Times crossword puzzles, occasionally looking up to see what birds had landed at the feeders, father-in-law reading the Funnies.  I also watched the Saturday morning Westerns with her while father and son spent time in the garage chatting as father-in-law worked on his old cars.  Good memories for both of us.  

If you have a particular memory of spending time with your in-laws, or any special person, feel free to share, or not.  I
Real life stories are far more interesting to me, and I suppose that comes from all the relatives and friends who visited us from as far back as I can remember.  

Many didn't get a TV until later in life in those days.  There were Saturday morning matinees at our local cinema and Hopalong Cassidy rode across the screen.  My sister and I always looked forward to Hopalong Cassidy.  Our TV arrived when I was not quite 13 years' old, but the stories people shared were our entertainment and I loved them.  We also had sing-songs with Dad at the piano.  More memories that come to mind are those told by a sweet lady who had just come back from visiting her brother.  He had moved to Australia years before and lived in the Outback she said. Her stories about the kangaroos, koalas and colorful birds were mesmerizing.  I must have been seven or eight years’ old, sitting on the floor with my legs crossed, totally enthralled.  Her name was Mrs. Bissell.  She and Mr. Bissell were older friends of my parents.  They were regular visitors, kindly souls with ready smiles for everyone.  Mum and Dad were very fond of them, as were we.  They were like our surrogate grandparents.  One time Mr. Bissell played Father Christmas at the yearly party at the town hall.  Waiting patiently in line with all the other children, I finally sat in his lap.  He asked me what did I want for Christmas, had I been a good girl?  I took one look at him and said quietly and in amazement, “You’re not Father Christmas, you’re Mr. Bissell.”  “Shhhh” he replied just as quietly, and put me down with a twinkle in his eye, finger pressed up to his lips, and a very grandfatherly Ho, Ho, Ho.  I was flummoxed!  I found that very strange and I think that is when I started asking Mum about who was Father Christmas and did he really live at the North Pole?  And as for Mr. Bissell, I was more used to seeing him drinking a cup of tea at home. But it was our little secret, I never asked him about it and he never told.  My Mum knew.  She and Mrs. Bissell had a good laugh about it later, as I found out when I brought the subject up years later.  Funny what pops into your head.  I had no idea I was going to include any of this when I started my post.  

So, what do you think about Pogo?  Did you ever read his cartoon?  It seems he had a lot of important messages to pass on.


This particular comic strip was drawn in 1971.

Pogo the Possum
created by
(August 25, 1913 – October 18, 1973)


Added note 2:45 p.m., 7-28-23

The quote above is from an actual famous quote by U.S. Navy Master Commandant Oliver Perry during the War of 1812, written in a letter to Major General William Henry Harrison: “We have met the enemy and they are ours.”


Thanks for looking and have a great weekend. 






From Wikipedia:

"Walter Crawford Kelly Jr. was born of Irish-American heritage in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Walter Crawford Kelly Sr. and Genevieve Kelly (née MacAnnula). When he was two years old, the family moved to Bridgeport, Connecticut.  After graduating from Warren Harding High School in 1930, Kelly worked at odd jobs until he was hired as a crime reporter on the Bridgeport Post. He also took up cartooning and illustrated a biography of another well-known figure from Bridgeport, P. T. Barnum. Kelly was extremely proud of his journalism pedigree and considered himself a newspaper man as well as a cartoonist.  

He began his animation career in 1936 at Walt Disney Studios, contributing to PinocchioFantasia, and Dumbo. In 1941, at the age of 28, Kelly transferred to work at Dell Comics, where he created Pogo, which eventually became his platform for political and philosophical commentary."

and from 

The New Georgia Encyclopedia

"The comic strip Pogo, created by Walt Kelly, ran in daily newspapers from 1948 to 1973. The strip was set in Georgia's Okefenokee Swamp and was populated by animals talking in a southern dialect."



36 comments:

  1. This is not a cartoon I have ever seen before. Sadly he is so very right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :) The signs were there years ago.

      Delete
  2. The comic strip is sadly so true. Maybe more so today than when it was written.
    Love the story about Father Christmas. Or should I say Mr Bissel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, exactly. Glad you enjoyed my memories of Father Christmas/aka Mr. Bissell :)

      Delete
  3. The enemy is ourselves? Sounds scary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not … I actually knew Mr. and Mrs. Cozy who provided Sunday school classes in their very cozy home. I loved going there as a very young child. She would give out star stickers, which seemed rare in those days! Pogo knew then what we know now, what Al Gore would have dealt with had he been elected. All the chances along the way that could have headed off what we have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pogo had a lot of Interest points Penelope, thoughts to ponder and ones I took note of. Meantime there are those in the know who are trying very hard, and in them I live in hope. I loved your memories of Mr. and Mrs. Cozy, they sound lovely people :) Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. I am not familiar with the cartoon. I do like the quote, it is so true. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Pogo before either Eileen. Glad you liked the quote. It makes one think that's for sure. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. We were not allowed to touch the newspaper until my dad had read it. We would then fight over the comic section. Oh, if we touched the paper before he had a chance to read it, there was hell to pay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the memories. I remember getting the newspapers in our house. Mum and Dad each had their own favorite. I remember Mum or Dad going up to the newspaper shop just up the road. They each had a favorite one. Both read theirs for the news but mum loved doing her word games and dad always checked on the football/cricket results. As for us girls we weren't interested in newspapers, so theirs was safe :)

      Delete
  7. Good quote and wonderful
    Memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Christine, thank you :)

      Delete
  8. My in-laws had passed away before I met the Micro Manager. We didn't get TV until I was about 18. However, I did watch a lot of stuff with my own kids. Pogo was very right and while I'm at it families need to spend more time together. Unfortunately with globalization families spread around the world and we don't see each other very often. My daughter lives in Chicago so in another country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of truth there Red, and I agree, it's hard for families to get together often because many of us seem to live far away from each other. Times together are precious :)

      Delete
  9. i always read the comics in the newspaper, AFTER daddy was finished, not allowed to touch the paper until he was done. I dont' remember Pogo. we got our TV in 1959 when I was 15. a small 19 inch black and white. I loved all westerns. also went to the movies on Saturday with cartoons and double features. Pogo was really smart, we humans are indeed the problem, then and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your memories Sandra, I enjoyed them. Our tv was a small one but I don't remember the size. I know we had to get up real close, lol!

      Delete
  10. I did not know he worked for Disney studios, but I remember reading Pogo. I have always remembered this wise quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Pogo but was very interested that the man who created him worked at Disney. I have added the original quote at the end of the page.

      Delete
  11. We don't read the comics. But we know and have always loved this quote. And you are right, it is more applicable as time goes on, it is a genius quote. I loved your Santa/Mr. Bissell story! So how long after that encounter did you learn the truth about Santa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) It was another year or so before I stopped believing in Santa. Mum always hid the presents behind the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. This airing cupboard was a favorite hiding place to enjoy a few quiet moments on the top shelf. My hidy-spot seemed as high as a mountain at the time. I often fell asleep on all the clean linen :0 Naughty girl, I used to tear the wrapping on the edges ever so slightly to take a peek. These were the Judy and Bunty annuals I always looked forward to at Christmas. Our gifts of books, games and chocolate were placed in a pillowcase, that was our stocking. Mum would announce that Father Christmas had arrived and left our presents. After finding them in the cupboard for the past three years, the seeds of doubt were sowed even more, and she finally fessed up after I asked :)

      Delete
  12. Remembering Pogo and his wisdom about us is priceless. Thank you for reminding me of him. Our grandson who lives with us, read the funnies as we call them each day until he became too busy with school and work. We had the best conversations from them!
    I love hearing about Father Christmas, Denise! What a precious memory you have recalled for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen, he was new to me :) How lovely you had these wonderful conversations with your grandson. Thanks for sharing that. Glad to know you enjoyed my memories too :)

      Delete
  13. have a great weekend too love from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Gosia :) you have a great weekend also :)

      Delete
  14. I miss newspapers, Denise! I remember my dad reading his, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Jenn, the last ones to go were the Sunday newspapers. Lovely you remember your dad reading them :)

      Delete
  15. Wishing you a good weekend too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard of Pogo, just never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never heard of Pogo suppose that to be expected, never read cartoons in the newspaper and never did the crosswords, was too busy as a child practicing my dancing and piano..wonderful memories you have there Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret and dancing and piano, I would have loved to do both :)

      Delete
  18. The Oklahoma City Sunday newspaper had an 8 or 12-page color comic section. My Mom mailed them to me when I was in college, and beyond. When my son started college, she changed and mailed them to him. She had to carefully fold them and fit them into a large manila business envelope. She kept sending them to us until she died at 84. I never "caught on" to Pogo, but my son did. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, wonderful memories :) your Mom sounds like she was a very special lady. I loved reading about her sending you and your son the comic section. How sweet is that? Thank you for sharing this.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!