Thursday, July 20, 2023

LEGO EXHIBIT ON NATURE AT GLEN BURNIE GARDENS IN WINCHESTER, VIRGINIA. - PART 1

As I mentioned at the bottom of the page on my previous post about the garden, I am thanking Linda at "The View from Squirrel Ridge" who shared that there was a Lego Exhibit here.  We had been talking about going back for several months, our last visit being in April 2021.  We were very surprised it had been that long as we had fully intended to visit earlier.  However, when Linda mentioned what was going on (and you can see Linda's photos from Glen Burnie if you go scroll back a few), I mentioned it to Gregg and he, ever ready for a road trip, said let's go! 

One of the first sculptures we came across was the polar bear and cubs.  You can enlarge all pictures to see more details.  I have included a YouTube link here, where the artist talks briefly about this particular piece. 

According to the sign it took 133,263 bricks...
and 1048.5 hours to build.
The Dodo
My photo I took of the information was too blurry and couldn't be read, but the one I include below was given to me by Linda.  We had both gone to the exhibit and I was about to publish this post just after I had seen the one from Linda.  After reading that my photo was blurry, she very kindly sent me this one and said I could use it.  Thank you so much Linda!  Linda's photos can be seen if you visit her via the link I have shared at the beginning of my post. 
There were a few I missed among the exhibits, but they all let us know how many bricks and hours it took to make each piece, gave information where they live, which animal is endangered, and which is extinct.  In this case, the Dodo.  It was never photographed when it was alive, the date of extinction being around 1690.  I read the artist and his team relied on historical records to make it as accurate as possible.  You can read about the Dodo here.  It was a flightless bird that lived on the island of Mauritius.  I won't go into great detail today but if you are curious, the story of its extinction can be read at the first link provided in this paragraph.  Our Dodo was in the same area as several busts, one of which included Julius Caesar.  
The Zebra and the Wildebeest
It took 58,139 bricks and a total of 372.5 hours to build the Zebra.
Very interesting information on them at this link.
Also for the Wildebeest here.
66,655 bricks in this one and 502 hours to build.
I am going back before they leave in September.  They were really something to see and photos once again don't do them justice.
I missed a close up of the sign which you can see in the photo above.  Many already know that this butterfly is endangered and you can read that story at this link.

As usual I have more photos to share but I think I am going to leave my post with a promise that another will be done soon.  

Added note: my second post on the exhibit can be found here.

My first post showing the garden (on this trip) can be found at this link.  I included a poem with that one.







38 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Phil said that he didn't even understand how they could possibly be done. I think my favorite is the Polar Bear & cubs. Followed by the Dodo. The poor Dodos!! Your link has a generous amount of info on them, and I did not know about the "Alice" connection!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand Phil saying that Ginny. On the video I inked, the artist talked about the metal frame inside that the bricks are glued to, but I need to look at it again to reinforce what I thought I had heard, just to be sure. I didn’t know the connection to Alice either. It is fun to learn these things.

      Delete
  2. Just amazing how they are done. Lovely Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Margaret and I agree 100 percent :)

      Delete
  3. These all look very cute and wonderful to see. Must be hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bear mama and the babies look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are amazing. They're impressive enough just seeing them in pictures but I would love to see these in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow and wow. Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Sue and you are very welcome. I am so glad that you enjoyed these beautiful pieces. I'll probably be putting the second part on Tuesday. I don't have as much time on the computer lately and I don't like to rush these things, lol!

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    I love the Polar Bear with cubs, all the animals and the butterfly. They are amazing.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, yes that one is truly beautiful! You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  8. Wow. The patience of some builders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are all spectacular and amazing. the zebra is my favorite, the bear a really close tie and never seen anything like them. the artists are so gifted. had no idea something like this could be created from lego blocks. the gardens are a beautiful place to present them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we are of the same mind Sandra. I have never seen anything like these lego sculptures before. They are quite something to behold and I have always loved this garden..

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Greetings Gosia, it is indeed. Thank you and I hope you are having a great summer :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Exactly what I said when I saw them Christine :)

      Delete
  12. These are absolutely incredible! My how the franchise has grown and evolved. A Lego is an ingenious thing. Snapping two together is the start to building anything one can imagine … what magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Penelope :) It certainly has and I remember so well putting the small ones together with our son when he was little. He did most of the putting together but I would help here and there. Like putting together a 3-dimensional puzzle and I love puzzles :)

      Delete
  13. Wow they are amazing and from a distance so realistic, thanks for sharing. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Diane, always happy you enjoy what I share :) You keep well also :)

      Delete
  14. Wow, Denise I had to share this post with my Lego loving grandson and Grayden! We all were so impressed. Your photos have convinced us that we must take a trip to Winchester to view its beauty! Thank you for sharing, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Martha Ellen. I would have loved to have been there to see the process of putting them together, at least for an hour or two :) It would be lovely if you took a trip to Winchester. I don't know how close Grayden is but it would be splendid if you, hubby and your grandson could take in these sights. I can highly recommend both the museum and the garden :)

      Delete
  15. I too will say WOW!
    These are amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, happy you thought so :) All the best to you also.

      Delete
  16. Wow, that really is an amazing exhibit. Glad you could go and thanks for all the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I thought so too and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  17. Wasn’t the polar bear amazing? I sat on the bench for a while and watched children looking at it.
    I just sent you the dodo sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet of you to do that. Thank you so much Linda :))) The polar bear certainly was amazing. We saw a bus load of children leave as we entered.

      Delete
  18. This is an exhibit I would really enjoy seeing, Denise, but it's unlikely that we will see it in person before it ends, so i appreciated that you shared your visit, Denise, and also all the background information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy :) perhaps they will show a similar exhibit in your area one day. They have done them in other cities and towns.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!