Monday, July 31, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - OATMEAL BAKE WITH MIXED BERRIES - SERVES 8

 Just out of the oven.


A delicious breakfast recipe that will be very welcome the next time we have company.  It was scrumptious!  I found the recipe at The Cozy Apron hosted by Ingrid.  The original recipe can be found at this link.  There are lots of great looking recipes to try.  Ingrid offers suggestions I don't always add to my recipe.

Oatmeal Bake with Mixed Berries - serves 8

Carlories per serving: 333


½ cup sliced or slivered almonds

½ cup chopped walnuts

2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup blueberries

1 cup chopped strawberries

½ cup raspberries

2 eggs

1 ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)

½ cup organic, dark maple syrup

2 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

¼ cup ghee or butter, melted

1 tablespoon raw turbinado sugar, for sprinkling over as topping (optional)

Greek yogurt or whipped cream, optional topping


First of all, prepare and measure all ingredients by going down each item on the list.  Makes things a lot easier.  I add this for those who are just starting out and for me also, to remind me that putting it together like that makes the process a breeze.

Preheat the oven to 350°, and lightly spray a 9 by 9 inch ceramic or aluminum baking pan, or 2 ½ quart baking dish, with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine the sliced or slivered almonds with the chopped walnuts, and reserve ¼ cup to sprinkle over top of the oatmeal bake before baking.

Add the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and the ¾ cup of remaining nuts into a large bowl, and toss to coat and combine.

Next, place all the berries into a bowl and toss to combine.  Reserve a scant ½ cup to sprinkle over top of the oatmeal dish before baking. Fold the remaining berries into the dry oat mixture.

Prepare the wet ingredients by whisking together eggs, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour this over the oat mixture, and then pour in the melted ghee or butter. Using a spatula, gently fold the ingredients together until well combined.

Pour the oatmeal mixture into your prepared baking dish, gently smoothing out the top a bit. Sprinkle the reserved berries and nuts evenly on top.

Bake, uncovered, for 40 to 45 minutes (mine was perfect at 45 minutes), then remove from oven and sprinkle with the raw turbinado sugar, if using. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve the oatmeal bake warm, just as it is, or topped with Greek yogurt or whipped cream.



I sprayed the baking dish with Avocado oil, but use your favorite cooking spray or whatever you use to grease before you add all the mixture.

I like to add fresh mixed berries but frozen ones can also be used.  I will no doubt be doing this when I am out of fresh berries. 

I had no blackberries.  They would have made a lovely addition.

The nuts I used were walnuts and pecans.  I ran out of almonds and didn't want to make a special trip to the store just for those.  I substitute a lot of items lately as I would rather use what is already in the pantry, or fridge.  

Ingrid advised using old-fashioned, rolled oats, not quick cooking, for texture purposes. Instant oats will make the consistency way too mushy.

I used almond milk but any favorite one could be used here.  

I stuck with the butter I had on hand, rather than ghee.  Ingrid's recipe said coconut oil could be used.

I didn’t have turbinado sugar and would have substituted brown sugar, light or dark.  I thought this was fine without.  (Click here to read all about turbinado sugar.)  

From the original recipe: "Pure maple syrup for sweetness, or other options: Maple syrup is a lower glycemic index option, which is why we love it so much in our household. But feel free to use brown or regular sugar, apple sauce or mashed bananas, honey, or your preferred type of sweetener."

Gregg was out of the house for the day so I made this just for me, with substantial leftovers that were frozen for days.  I thought it was excellent!


Thanks for looking, 
have a great day and 
Bon Appetit!









 

40 comments:

  1. Maybe the healthiest recipe I have ever seen! And pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect it would make a delicious dessert too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could, I thought about serving it up with a scoop of ice-cream sometime , or not :)

      Delete
  3. This is looking so healthy and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A breakfast, dessert or any time of the day when the craving hits! Have a fantastic week ahead, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy and I bet it does as well Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, that does look good. And sounds reasonably simple to make. I don't know what turbinado sugar is but as it's optional, I'll just leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, happy you think so :) I love it. This is a website telling you what the difference is. It may go by another name in NZ.

      https://www.tastingtable.com/1051060/brown-sugar-vs-turbinado-sugar-whats-the-difference/

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, looking forward to making another batch soon :)

      Delete
  8. It looks delicious. I have granola which has nuts and seeds already added, strawberries and blueberries with Greek yoghurt for my breakfast most mornings. Very similar to the ingredients here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious too Jo. I will have to try that. It certainly is a winning combination :)

      Delete
  9. Looks delicious, thanks for sharing! Take care, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are veery welcome Eileen and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  10. this one I can remove a couplel of things and add 1 and make it work for what I can eat. yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, that looks like something I would try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, so glad to know that, thank you Jim and Barb :)

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy reading your Monday morning recipes, Denise. I used to make a similar breakfast. Like you said, this would be great for breakfast when company visits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Martha Ellen :) thank you bunches :)

      Delete
  13. this sounds so good and i like the ingredients in the recipe you shared!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Debbie, happy you liked the look of them :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my, that looks so good. It looks like a comforting Fall treat. Cinnamon always adds a little something to dishes.

    Happy August days, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for Fall, that's very true :) Happy August days to you too Sheri :)

      Delete
  15. That looks good! Oatmeal and crunch -- what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a truer word spoken! Thank you Jeanie :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for this! It looks perfect for Steve to enjoy before work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, you are very welcome. So glad you think its perfect for Steve before work :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!