Thursday, July 27, 2023

GREEN SPRING GARDENS - THE POND AREA - PART 4

Last of the photos from Green Spring Gardens for this trip at least.  My previous two posts from this particular visit can be found herehere and here.  We go a lot during the summer months.  It is one of our favorite walking places.

I have shared these grasses before as my dear other half noticed them also, and unbeknown to each other, we had taken more or less the same photo.  It is called Eastern bottle-brush grass, botanical name Elymus hystrix.   Native to eastern North America.  Mice eat the seeds readily.  Studies are underway to examine whether bottle-brush grass can be domesticated as a food crop for livestock or potentially even for humans in the future.


Next is Blue plantain lily, also known as Hosta.  Its botanical name is Hosta ventricosa.  It is an herbaceous perennial native to China, and attracts hummingbirds.  However, snails and slugs enjoy them too.  Something I am interested in as we get a lot of shade in our garden, it prefers partial to full shade.


Blue plantain lily is low maintenance and shade-tolerant and will attract hummingbirds, as mentioned.  In summer they produce lavender-colored plumes that host sweet nectar at their center.  The colors are attractive to hummingbirds as they can see purple at a distance.  The shape of the petals creates an enclosure at the flower's head.  The hummingbird's long beak must dig through the tunnel to reach the sweet nectar.  As this happens, the hummingbird gets covered with pollen which it will then spread when it leaves.   Not only hummingbirds like this plant, butterflies do too.  Shades of purple are easiest for butterflies to see, while hummingbirds are more attracted to red hues.


I always enjoy seeing the turtles and there were several out today.  Some just skimming under the water, others on rocks like this one.  


No expert here but from what I have seen online, these appear to be Painted Turtles.  There is a fun page at this link that has interesting facts and also for those of you who like crafts, it shares a fun parent/child/teacher/student project, on how to paint a turtle using five rocks.


Facts I found at the website: a turtle's shell is made up of 13 plates called scutes. As the turtle grows it sheds its outer layer.  This means you can count the scutes rings in the same way that you can count tree rings, to find the turtle's age.  Painted turtles can live up to 61 years.


They don't have teeth but do have horny plates that grind their food.   Turtles hibernate under water the whole winter and hold their breath the entire time.  The Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta) gets its name from its appearance.  Its skin color looks as though an artist painted it on.  It is part of the American pond turtle family, Emydidae.


It is the most common turtle in North America, found in many ponds, marshes and water's edges.  Like other American pond turtles, the Painted turtle loves swimming in the water and basking in the sun.  The female can lay 6 to 20 eggs at a time, and those groups of eggs are called clutches. This website will tell you about the different kinds of turtles you can find in the States.


Now back to the plants I saw.  I have seen this one several times over the years, and have probably mentioned it many times (other plants and flowers too no doubt).   It is the Common buttonbush, also known by a lot of other names.  Case in point, Button-ball, Button-willow, Button bush, Globe-flowered bush, Honey balls, Little snowballs, Swamp globeflower, White pond dogwood, Honey-bells, Riverbush and Buckbrush.  Its botanical name is Cephalanthus occidentalis.


It is a multi-stemmed deciduous shrub that grows 6 to 12 feet tall and 4 feet to 7 feet wide.   Grown as an ornamental for its unusual flowers, the common buttonbush can attract more than two dozen species of wild birds, including water and shore birds.  Some of the birds it draws are robins, kingbirds and towhees.  In the summer its spherical flowers are frequently visited by hummingbirds, as well as polinating insects, like the one below.  


In the Fall the shrub produces round nutlets which are particularly enjoyed by wild ducks.  Because they stay around well into winter, they are an important food source for other birds as well.  The Common buttonbush is used for shelter and nesting by wood ducks and other waterfowl. Buttonbush plants are named for their fragrant white spherical flowers.  Since it is one of the most common plants in the genus, it is called the common buttonbush.


Another white bloom is from the Bottlebrush buckeye, also known as Dwarf horse chestnut or Dwarf buckeye.  Its botanical name is Aesculus parviflora. It grows deep red, tubular flowers that hummingbirds love to feed upon for their nectar.  The seed pods also produce protein-rich seed that several types of birds consume for food.  


Quite a hardy plant and my brown thumbs would do very well with this one.  It grows in shade to part shade and does very well in shady spots. 


I enjoy everything I see at the garden, but I was particularly interested in the lotus.  It is an Indian Lotus and other names are Bean of India, Sacred Lotus and Red Lily.  Its botanical name is Nelumbo nucifera.  


Each blossom consists of approximately 15 petals. I more often than not rely on my plant app, Picture This.  An interesting fact I read was that the Indian Lotus can live as long as one thousand years.  These plants can go into stasis and then revive.  Seeds from the Indian Lotus can remain viable for over a thousand years as well.  





This plant is important for religious ceremonies, water treatment, crop rotation and historically, human consumption.  


It is super easy to take care of, with resistance to almost all pests and diseases. 


A poem that I would not have associated with its poet, but am happy to do so, was written by Edgar Allan Poe.

“And the Nelumbo bud that floats for ever
With Indian Cupid down the holy river.
Fair flowers, and fairy, to whose care is given
To bear the Goddess' song, in odors, up to Heaven.”


I am always on the look-out for birds.  The smaller ones are elusive.  I have seen a Great Blue Heron here, though not for a very long time.  There have been ducks. 


I can always count on the Canada Goose.


This one was on its own and, as you can see, was next to the lotus.  Canada Geese are the largest type of goose.  Females lay between 2 to 9 eggs and both parents are involved with hatching the eggs.  However, the female invests more time in the incubation process.   At this link you can read lots more information about them.  


They are very cooperative when taking photos, and hang around long enough for me to take several.  Such a good goose!  I didn't see a mate today.  


Most every time, my photos are shared in order they were taken, so I am back to plants and trees.  This tree is called River Birch. I love its bark! 
Fortunately there was an ID marker at its base. It read, "Betula nigra Heritage ('Cully').  (Species native to Virginia).  Heritage River Birch." Later  I read that it is also known as Water Birch, Black birch and Swamp birch. 

It grows between 40 to 70 feet high.  It is usually planted in threes to make a stronger visual impact, to restrict their growing space and keep them at a manageable size.  Also, to give them natural protection.  


The black streaks on its trunk are called lenticels, and their function is to enable the exchange of gases between the tree and the air.  River birch is a strong but knotty wood.  It is sometimes used to make woodenware and furniture, but it is not usually used for commercial lumber. Native Americans would boil the sap to make a sweetener and would even eat the inner bark when food was scarce.  River birch is also a food source for many wild birds and even deer.    


It makes a lovely shade tree, and its leaves turn yellow in the Fall.  Shade-loving plants like ferns are a great choice for underplanting this birch. Underplanting as used here means to plant or cultivate the ground around a tall plant/tree with smaller plants. This info is for those who don't do a lot of gardening, and even at my age I am still learning. More information can be found at this website. I would love to plant one in the spot where we had to have a tree taken down, but it would grow far too big for the little patch we need to put it in, even with pruning. We would need a much larger garden. We are still searching for the perfect tree. As it will be a mid-planting between our home and our neighbors, even though it would be on our side of the property line, we have to consider them too.


We have finished our walk around the two ponds and made our way to the top where our car is parked.   It has been another wonderful walk.  






42 comments:

  1. Buttonbush plant looks really impressive and I love those cute turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos of all, love water lilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, they are an exquisite flower :)

      Delete
  3. The lilies stand out for me. Love the turtles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do stand out don't they? :) Turtles are so interesting. I have always enjoyed them.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for taking us with you (and telling us about) this beautiful place. Heart balm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect description for this place Sue, and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  5. Sweet turtles and beautiful plants to be seen on your walk...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Donna, hugs to you too :)

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful garden. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ann, I'm happy you enjoyed the garden :)

      Delete
  7. Niezwykłe ciekawy post. Pięknie odpowiedziałaś o roślinach , ptakach i żółwiach. Super fotografie. Miłego weekendu:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo dziękuję :) Cieszę się, że podobają Ci się zdjęcia ogrodu. Kontynuacji szczęśliwego tygodnia dla ciebie i weekendu!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful outings and gardens. The pond turtles are always a treat to see. Pretty flowers. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Eileen :) I always find them a treat too. You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  9. A thousand years! Wow!

    "Shades of purple are easiest for butterflies to see, while hummingbirds are more attracted to red hues."

    Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found that fascinating too. I would love to know how they came to these interesting bits of information. Years and years of study I suppose, about a thousand for the lotus, ha! :)

      Delete
  10. That Buttonbush sure is cool and interesting. I have never heard or seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you :) The only reason I know about this is that I have been seeing them at the garden for years, in all seasons.

      Delete
  11. Very interesting info on hostas and hummingbirds. I have hostas but see very few hummingbirds. Interesting info on turtles. we don't have turtles. Awesome post on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hostas and no hummingbirds. I only see turtles when we go to the gardens. Did have a box turtle wandering through our yard one time last year and I found that awsome :) Thank you Red, I am happy you enjoyed our walk.

      Delete
  12. Reading your blog is like reading a really good issue of National Geographic. I had no idea about the lifespan and seeds of the Lotus, or the real name of Hostas. Your turtle website is very good! Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those super compliments Ginny. I love researching things after I take my photos after I get home. Part of the fun of sharing :)

      Delete
  13. thanks for the walk, i added The Steps, ha ha made my 10,000 for the day. LOL.
    I love the button brush and the only place I have seen one is Selby Gardens in Sarasota. I have photos of them, but had no idea what they were. I took those photos well before the internet search engines made it easier to identify. all of your photos are spectacular, from turtles to lily pads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I helped you with your steps Sandra, lol! That gave me a chuckle so thank you for that. The button bush is an interesting plant to look at up close, I love it. Like you with Selby Gardens, Green Spring is the only place I remember seeing it. Thanks so much, so happy you enjoyed my photos.

      Delete
  14. Painted turtles are common here too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Much appreciate that, thank you Christine :)

      Delete
  16. I just love reading your descriptions of plants and animals while seeing your wonderful photos. Turtles in the sun are one of my favorite sightings - there are lots of them here in Florida. I don't think it gets cold enough for them to hibernate. Thanks for that information - I'd never really thought about it, but it's incredible they can hold their breaths that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Carol, sometimes I think I go on a bit but I really am fascinated by all the information I find, and ever hopeful my blogging friends do too :)

      Delete
  17. It's so enjoyable reading about the plants and animals you have seen. You are a wealth of knowledge, my friend. Beautiful photos as always! Glad you visited on a much cooler day than today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I am very happy you feel that way. I love nothing more than to read about things I find in nature. It is a fun hobby for me, that and photography. I write everything down so that I can refresh when I might need a reminder of what I see :)

      Delete
  18. The purple flowers are so pretty. And those prickly flowers are so unusual looking. Lovely things you came across at the gardens, Denise. There is a white flowering bush in my front yard, and sometimes when I water it early in the morning, I see a hummingbird hovering over it. I think they are attracted to water. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, thank you and how wonderful that you get a hummingbird visit you! :) I heard you are getting a heatwave out there. I think I would be visiting the sprinkler system also ;)

      Delete
  19. From the comfort of my armchair, I certainly enjoyed a wonderful walk.
    Thank you for so many lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, it’s lovely to do a bit of armchair traveling isn’t it Jan? Glad you enjoyed this journey through my photos :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  20. Great photos of some things that are not easy to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Regarding trees: does a nursery near you participate in the new native plant program where are you get a $25 rebate? “Woodstock Gardens is one of three plant nurseries in the state participating in the pilot phase of the Virginia Department of Forestry’s Throwing Shade Program. The goal is to encourage customers to purchase native plants.”

    I found they are very knowledgeable about native trees and shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information Linda. I really appreciate this :) I will keep a look out for them. Great to know!!! I am going to check this out.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!