Wednesday, July 26, 2023

MORE PHOTOS FROM GREEN SPRING GARDENS, FROM OUR TRIP THERE ON FRIDAY 7-7-23 - PART 3

We arrived earlier in the day on this visit and the weather was perfect for a walk.  Instead of going to the flat area of the garden, we turned left and down the hill to the ponds, as we sometimes do.  

 
But before that I always check to see what is blooming in the flower bed that lines the parking lot. The first one I noticed was this pretty plant called Lily of the nile. A flower that is native to Africa, its other names are Blue lily and Common agapanthus. In European and American countries, it is called the African lily, and its botanical name is Agapanthus praecox.  
I am not sure about my ID on this red plant.  My app said it was a Firecracker hummingbird bush, It may be a kind of broad leaf Firecracker bush.  This being the case I am not going to give a lot of information, other than it looks like it would be great attracting hummingbirds.  I have something very similar called a Honeysuckle Fushia in my planter, so who knows.  If you can positively identify it as either, I would love to know for sure.  In the meantime, I will continue looking around.    
Next is a display of Purple coneflowers, also known as Eastern purple coneflower and Hedgehog coneflower.   I have these in our garden as many of you do.  Its botanical name is Echinacea purpurea.  It is an herb native to North America and flourishes in prairie environments or open wooded areas.  It makes a great addition to a flower bed or garden because it blooms the whole summer.  It also attracts a lot of pollinators such as bees and hummingbirds.  Its genus name, Echinacea means "spiny", because its flowers are especially like a prickly sea urchin, which also has the same genus name.  Some people think its flowers resemble petals around the pinecones, and so this genus is called the coneflower.  Since this species has purple petals around the cones, it is called the purple coneflower.  Echinacea, which is also known as the purple coneflower, is an herbal medicine that has been used for centuries, customarily as a treatment for the common cold, coughs, bronchitis, upper respiratory infections, and some inflammatory conditions. Research on echinacea is still going on, including clinical trials which are limited and largely in Germany, according to this website.
Ditch Lily is the name of these beautiful perennial flowers, also called Orange daylily, Common daylily, Tawny daylily, Tiger daylily and Fulvous daylily.  Its botanical name is Hemerocallis fulvia.  They are considered to be a weed largely due to how invasive they are, and people have difficulty getting rid of them once established. The reason is the tuberous roots bury deep into the soil making the ditch lily difficult to remove.  But, it is a hardy and versatile plant, so I suppose it's how you feel about them on the whole.  I would love them but then again I've never had any in our garden before.  Each individual flower lasts only a day, but the plant blooms new ones for weeks.  It can be toxic to animals (like many plants no doubt), so I would do some research if I were you.  This website gives you information if you have pets.

I still have photos to share from the pond area but as I want to set this up so that you can see it tomorrow (the 26th), and it is getting late, I am going to stop here and leave the pond photos for another day.






32 comments:

  1. We have this kind of Lily. At least I think it is the same. Each bloom only lasts one day. There are also lots of the Coneflowers around here. And I have seen them in other colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Ginny :) I would like to plant the lilies in the back. I have seen a lot of pink coneflowers, which we have in our garden. Reds and Whites only at the nursery.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful things. Our agapanthus are more commonly blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, we have agapanthus lots of blue and some people grow white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a beautiful sight aren't they Margaret? :)

      Delete
  4. I like the name of the gardens. I wonder if there is a natural water spring there? The flowers are colourful and all very pretty. We have the blue agapanthus in our garden. I would love a white variety. Happy day to you dear blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a small stream flowing there. We go over a bridge that crosses it and I'm thinking this must be so, as to your question. The blue agapanthus is beautiful, and I can just imagine if you added the white. A happy day to you too dear blog friend :)

      Delete
  5. I really like all the flowers! Especially the Ditch Lily! Pretty bloom...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you do Donna, thank you. I agree on the Ditch Lily :) Hugs from me too.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful flowers. That firecracker hummingbird bush is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful walk, the flowers are all lovely. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we had a firecracker bush like this, moved it here when we moved, it lived a long lifr until we got Baby in 2002, she dug holes under it until it died.
    Bouvardia ternifolia (Cav.) Schlecht. Go to Parent
    Family: Rubiaceae
    Firecracker-Bush, firecrackerbush, trumpetflower, smooth bouvardia, scarlet bouvardia (es: cigarritos, contrahierba colorada, hierba del indio, hierba del pasmo, chuparrosa)
    [Bouvardia angustifolia, more]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thanks so much for giving me all the info Sandra :) Much appreciated! Ah, sweet Baby! Our dog was the same way, dug up everything. We never had a pretty lawn when she was with us, but I'd give anything to see her running around and digging things up, even though at the time we would try to stop her. Famous last words of her previous owner was, "she's a little bit of a digger." That was an understatement, Lol! We could never get her to stop but the joy she brought us far outweighed anything else.

      Delete
  9. Our property is filled with Echinacea purpurea and a few other species of flowers, I will try to take some pictures of them this week and share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see them, sounds wonderful :)

      Delete
  10. a lot of familiar looking blooms in this post, Denise, and I knew the names of each even before you provided the ID. Thanks for the other info as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blooms. I like the Lily of the Nile...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty, Denise. All flowers are lovely to me whether they are invasive or not. That way of thinking has gotten me into big trouble through the years of gardening and having to remove them! I always enjoy your lovely photos and especially the florals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, me too. Thank kind of trouble I can do with :) So happy you enjoy my photos :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!