Monday, August 10, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - BAKED TOFU

We have started eating more meatless meals lately, and one of the items that always seems to be on our list is tofu.  I saw a recipe for Baked Tofu at Gimme Some Oven hosted by Ali.  

Thank you Ali, we enjoyed this version very much.  I recommend reading Ali's recipe and she tells you all about tofu.  Also I enjoyed looking at all the other recipes she has on her food blog.  

Baked Tofu

Ingredients

1 block of tofu, firm or extra firm
Olive Oil, or another oil you may prefer
Cornstarch
Suggested seasonings: garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper.  You can also use your favorite combination.

Our first step is to drain the tofu and press as much liquid out as possible.  The more dry the crispier it will be.  

Slice the block of tofu into two or three slabs (depending on your block of tofu each slab should be about 3/4 to 1-inch thick).  Then lay some paper towels or a clean tea towel on a flat surface (I used a cutting board).  Wrap the tofu in the paper towels/clean tea towel.  Place another cutting board on top, and stack a heavy-ish pot (or cans of food) that you can safely balance on the cutting board without them toppling.  The more weight you put on the tofu, the more liquid you will get out.  Leave this for at least 15 to 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.

When your tofu is drained, time to remove all the layers of paper towels/kitchen towel and what you have used to weight down the tofu.  Cut tofu into cubes, about 3/4 inch to an inch.  You can also cut them into more decorative shapes if preferred.  Ali says the shape will make a difference in the crispy-outside to soft-inside texture.  If you want even crispier bites of tofu, make these shapes a bit thinner.

Put tofu into a large mixing bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil (or your preferred oil).  Sprinkle evenly with cornstarch and seasonings.  Toss gently until the tofu is evenly coated.

Put tofu in a single layer (no overlapping) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Put in the preheated 400 degree oven, and bake for 15 minutes.  At the end of the 15 minutes carefully remove baking sheet (don't forget those oven mitts), put on a safe surface and turn each piece over to the other side. Put sheet back into the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.

When done to your liking (see my notes below) carefully take tofu out of the oven.

Serve warm and enjoy.

My notes: I have been adding tofu to our regular shopping list for quite a while, trying several different variations of cooking style.  

Gregg said this way was by far his favorite, baked and cooked until really crispy.  I liked it but I think I would have taken it out of the oven at the time suggested.  The original recipe calls for 15 minutes on one side, turn over and cook for another 15 minutes.  I ended up cooking it for ten minutes longer than that, as I know Gregg likes things a little crispier than I do.  

He actually said this was the best tofu recipe he had ever had to his taste, and gave it a ten out of ten, and to please cook it this way from now on. 

Next time, however, I will take my portion out of the oven after the 30 minutes total time, and leave his in the ten minutes longer.  I am only adding this in case you and your other half have different likes about tofu as we do.  

We weren't very hungry that night, and just wanted a snack.  This made a very nice appetizer served with two dipping sauces, a small dish each of sweet chili sauce and blue cheese dressing, having our own choices.  

I am looking forward to trying this again with my adjustments.

Thank you for stopping by.  Stay safe, stay healthy have a great week.






Added note: I found another interesting blog here that shares more information about tofu.

34 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I have never tried tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, it's not for everyone's taste but I enjoyed it from the first time. I was in a restaurant and it came in a sweet and sour soup, which was delicious :)

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of tofu - which absorbs flavours really well. My partner loathes it. All the more for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! :) Yes, it does absorb the flavors you use doesn't it? Hubs was not a big fan of tofu but I have cooked it now in a variety of ways. This was a new variation to both of us and we both enjoyed it very much. Thanks EC!

      Delete
  3. Never had tofu. Yours looks nice but we still eat the same amount of meat in this house so far.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :) it was the same for us but cutting back nowadays.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Estou feliz que você gostou desta receita. Obrigada :) Um abraço e uma boa semana a vocês também.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    I have never tried tofu, it sounds good with the dipping sauces.
    Take care! Have a happy day and a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, thank you and the same to you :)

      Delete
  6. I have never tried tofu and I have never seen it in the store so I don't even know where to look for it. I'm going to put it on my list and see if I can find it because I am having trouble getting protein because I don't like meat. Thanks for the recipe I saved this blog post and we'll check it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I hope you like it. It's a good way of getting protein. Have you ever tried protein powders? I gather you mix it as a drink. I don't know much about them but have been thinking about it lately.

      Delete
  7. I really should try this thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ate tofu many years ago but never utilized it properly and turned away from it. This, however, sounds delicious and I will definitely try the crispier method. Glad you shared it. This world really does need tasty alternatives to meat, especially because we treat our food animals with such cruelty, willfully blind not because we are cruel necessarily but because of failure to imagine anything else at our dinner tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it in a variety of ways now Penelope. I agree with you.

      Delete
  9. I have to admit that tofu is not one of our favourites and has not been on our shopping list for several years! Glad you enjoy it though. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting...

    We have never eaten tofu. Meatless meals here, mean some egg dish, or tuna salad, or a baked fish. I'm glad you enjoy it.

    'Miss BB'🐝🐝
    "Beside a babbling brook" blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...It is Genie Robinson here. I think of you all the time as I drink my tea and listen to my Acorn TV. I continue to be a tragically misplaced Anglophile. My first post since 2016 is pretty unclear, but I am sure you can read between the lines. Love your Monday recipe. I am getting where I can cook a wee bit so it may be a trial run with me. You are my first comment of my new year so here goes. Hugs, genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genie, I am so happy to see you posting again. Welcome back! I am always thinking of you but never more so than at Christmas when I put up those pretty decorations you gave me. I am honored that I am your first comment this year. Look forward to visiting you again. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  12. We too are eating far less meat, but have used tofu sparingly, probably only because we have no experience cooking it. This looks like a recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give this way a try David :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Tofu is getting very popular.
    Many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan. You're right, I see it more and more on food blogs. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. I always appreciate your notes and thoughts on tofu Denise, thanks for sharing this one too xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!