Saturday, August 15, 2020

IN THE BACK OF THE GARDEN...

yesterday evening, we had a surprise visitor.  An interesting coincidence considering I have been sharing my raptor posts over the last few days.
Also a surprise as we haven't seen one around for at least a year.  And as I haven't been filling my bird feeders lately, the birds have been elsewhere.  I am hoping David of Travels with Birds will pop in and let me know this hawk's name, as he did before, twice because I invented a new species the first time he told me, which made me laugh when he came back and mentioned it. Thank you for the chuckle David.  

Added note 5:40 p.m. 8-15-20:  David has very kindly ID'd  my visitor as a Red-shouldered Hawk.  Thank you so much David for your generosity of knowledge and for your patience with my faux-pas!
We still have our young bear roaming the area.  There was another photo on our local neighborhood app, of someone's bird feeder that had been placed at the top of a high metal pole.  The metal pole had been bent double down to the ground.  Another photo actually showed the bear leaning over a fence, stretching its paw to reach the feeder.  Another time a security camera showed a bear walking across someone's front steps.  We have been asked not to leave food out which I don't do, but in the colder months I fill up my bird feeders.  This year, however, because of spending more time at home, I have extended my 'bird time'.  So, to keep both people, pets and bears safe, I am trying to do my part.  I keep looking out back when I put our lights on for the night, expecting to see a bear on our deck.  Half hoping but half not, because we wouldn't want to find Mr. or Mrs. Bear sitting at the kitchen table one morning waiting for their breakfast, would we?
I only had a few moments to take my photos before it flew off.  Earlier that day a cardinal sat on a branch not too far from the window, looking a little disgusted that I hadn't filled those feeders.  Am I transferring?  No doubt!  But there is a dish of water ready and waiting, which he was grateful for I'm sure in this hot weather.  Transferring again!   Not the clearest shot as I realized I had taken my photo through the window screen after he flew away. 
And here's our regular visitor, who now looks at me in complete disgust!  You should have seen the look when I stopped buying peanuts still in their shells to scatter outside.  
He and I had words after I found he had been sharpening his teeth on our deck rail.  We are waiting for an estimate on repairs.  Can't complain, and there is a lot of wear and tear as we have lived in this house for 30 years and have had to do very little other than sanding and staining. It's time!
Here you can see him telling his companion to stay back as he was resting.
But it wasn't long before he had company.
Rolling his eyes up to the sky, it wasn't too long before he decided to get up and go.  "I'm out of here and going to try and find another quiet spot" he said.

I hope this post has brought you a smile, that you are all well out there and keeping safe.  See you on Monday and...





41 comments:

  1. I love reading your commentaries. They always make me giggle. Fab Photos as usual. Don't think I'd like a bear in my gardens, Wallabies and Koalas are okay .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, I am glad to see that. I'll take your Wallabies and Koalas too :)

      Delete
  2. Well, seems like you need some deck repairs anyway. Looks like he may be laying that way to cool off? Great hawk shots, let us know whn you find out what kind it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, thanks to David we now know our bird is a Red-shouldered Hawk :) There is always something to do around the house isn't there, the deck being one of them for us? :)

      Delete
  3. Lowe ALL of your visitors. And yes, I would like to see a bear (passing through) as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad EC. I love my bears but not nose to nose :)

      Delete
  4. Good photos, the Cardinal is wonderful, always admire that colour.
    Lovely read.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, it is a lovely red and especially noticeable when it snows :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise,
    I am sure David will help you with the raptor id. Your photos are wonderful.
    Those squirrels are so darn cute. I would like to see a bear in my yard, we did have one visit last year. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and David did, I am very grateful! I think you may have more open land around you than we do here in the suburbs. Poor bear is totally confused and I am hoping he will move on and find a safer place to roam. You take care also and enjoy your day.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado! Um abraço e desejo um bom fim de semana continuado :)

      Delete
  7. I am loving seeing your wild life. And I would love to see the bear but not in my own yard. It's bad enough having raccoons and possums. I'm glad you were doing your part and not putting the seeds out but I know the squirrel is wondering where are my peanuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Sandra :) I love seeing bears also but not closely. I want to keep them safe away from the likes of us, but it is lovely observing them at a distance. I have enjoyed my rare occasions when I have and consider it a gift to treasure.

      Delete
  8. I am smiling. How great to see that hawk come for a visit. All the photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to bring you a smile Ellen. It was an ooh-ah moment but at least I remembered the camera this time :) Thank you :)

      Delete
  9. Cute pics but I'd be REALLY scared of that bear!!!!!!!!!!!

    🌻 🌻 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BB, I can understand the fear but the joy of seeing one - at a distance - is phenomenal.

      Delete
  10. This is another BEAUTIFUL Red-shouldered hawk, Denise. A stunning portrait in these pictures. I am always happy to help you with bird ID. I have to say, however, I was wondering who David of "All About Birds" is. I am David from "Travels With Birds" and I suspect we are one and the same person!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, not doing too well am I 😳. Sorry David, I will make an immediate correction.

      Delete
    2. Corrected and thank you for your patience David. Must admit to being more than a bit distracted lately.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful photos, and your commentaries made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GGG, I am happy, that makes me smile too :)

      Delete
  12. That squirrel series just literally made laugh. Sweetness thru & thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you for telling me that Anni. Yes, I agree with you :)

      Delete
  13. Oh Denise, what great photos of the hawk! It appears to be a youngster, I imagine. Darling photos of the squirrels. The little rascals can do some damage around the home, but I so enjoy their antics. Your photos always make me smile. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martha Ellen. I thought it was a youngster also. So glad you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  14. gorgeous captures of the hawk!! i am always so excited when i see them but also frightened for my little birds!!

    and your squirrels, what can be said except i think these are the best images i have ever seen. they sure are rascals and around here, they are drama queens in the heat!!

    many thanks for your kind words and support on my recent post. a difficult time but i know we will get through it. the hubs and i work well together!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debbie, and I'll be thinking of you and hubs and sending you all the positive vibes I can muster.

      Delete
  15. It is rare to see raptors here. Yes, your post has brought me smiles. The squirrel needed a place to take a rest alone on a hot day in summer. I hope he could find a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad RC, I hope so too and I did see him resting high on a tree limb a while later :)

      Delete
  16. The squirrel photos and yourv added words were amusing, Denise, and I bet he and his friends are quite distraught over the lack of peanuts. Too bad the deck railing has become chewed up in the interim. Lots of folks refrain from bird feeders in summer for the reason you gave and also that the birds have a more available food supply elsewhere. Of course, David, would be the best source of a hawk ID as my incorrect guess would have been a coopers hawk as we used to see them in VA. (I am not good with birds IDs.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy! Yes they certainly are, in fact I caught one climbing up on the window screen staring in the other day. They had me well trained for a while as I would immediately go to their storage bin, but as far as seed and peanuts are concerned, the cupboard is bare for the time being ;) Another reason I drop off feeding them is because of their natural food source. To tell you the truth, Cooper's Hawk was the first thing that came to my mind too, and I am not good with ID's either so we are kindred spirits :)

      Delete
  17. Great photos and I love the hawk. Have a good week and keep safe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, so glad. You have a good week and keep safe also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!