Monday, August 3, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CAULIFLOWER ‘RICE’ AND BLACK BEANS




Cauliflower ‘Rice’ and Black Beans
(Gluten Free)

Ingredients

2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 lb cauliflower rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can (15.5 oz) Wegmans Caribbean Black Beans, undrained (no Caribbean available so I just had the plain)
2 green onions, chopped, for garnish
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish

Directions

Heat coconut oil in sauté pan on medium-high. 

Add cauliflower; season with salt and pepper. 

Cook, stirring, about 5 min, until tender, being careful not to brown.

Stir in beans; heat through.

Garnish with green onions and cilantro.


The photo above shows our finished meal of chicken, a pineapple and mango salad we made the day before to go with another meal (which I will share some other time), the 'rice' and beans, and Gregg’s veggie stir-fry made mainly with carrots and bok choy, also leftovers from the day before.  

It all looked a bit of a mish-mash but it was very tasty, and he says he would keep it as is, and not exchange the cauliflower for regular rice as he had originally wanted to do.  At first he had asked if we had any rice instead and I would have been more than happy to exchange it as I also enjoy rice. However, I really wanted to try the cauliflower’s version first. This is only the second time we have cooked with this kind of ‘rice’.  So if you don’t like cauliflower, you actually might like it done this way, just saying. 

I was browsing through the recipe site of our favorite go-to supermarket and that's where I got the idea for our meal.  I have just started looking at their meal plans where I sometimes get ideas for dinner if we fancy something different.  The main course was a Jamaican Jerk Chicken, and the two sides suggested were this one and the pineapple and mango salad. The Jamaican Jerk Chicken is already pre-marinated and when cooked has a delicious flavor.  

I already had coconut oil in the pantry, with a couple of other ingredients.  

Also it would be easy to make your own cauliflower rice by chopping with your favorite knife, or using a food processor, (or a blender which is what is in our kitchen). Today I opted for the supermarket's convenience of already made.

There were leftovers which we enjoyed the next day. 

Thanks for visiting and enjoy your week.





34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, trying to eat as healthy as we can these days :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds delicious. My vegie self would be very happy to make a meal of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC, it would make an excellent on its own meal :)

      Delete
  3. I've never riced cauliflower, but it sounds like a good way to cook this vegetable and makes it even more versatile as a side dish or with a main meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, cauliflower rice seems very popular lately and I see it in a lot of recipes. I have always enjoyed cauliflower cheese since childhood, and one of my favorite recipes I have put on here, cauliflower mashed with potatoes. I was interested in trying a healthier version to see how much we liked it, and we enjoyed it very much :)

      Delete
  4. Wygląda pysznie, dziękuję za przepis. Dobrego dnia.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję Ci! Cieszę się, że Ci się podobało. Miłego dnia również :)

      Delete
  5. When I first changed my eating habits I made this dish so many times that my husband said he never wanted to see it again. It's been about a year since I made it so I'm thinking I might can cook do it again I did serve it too much also you know what else is really good with the black beans and the cauliflower rice is salsa on top of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thanks for the tip of eating this with salsa. Great idea! Made me smile about Bob not wanting to eat it ever again :)

      Delete
  6. Hello,

    Sounds healthy and delicious! Thanks for sharing!
    Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, glad you think so and you are very welcome. I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Looks very tasty.
    Don't think I've heard of cauliflower rice, but it's probably called something else here.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret :) Thank you! I would be interested in what they call it over your way.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes I have re cauliflower rice, have done that as in grated, didn't know it was called that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought to use my hand grater. That's a very good idea :)

      Delete
  9. Denise? You have me drooling. Honestly! Everything looks delicious. I'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Anni, and makes me happy you like the look of this so much :)

      Delete
  10. Interesting and delicious looking meal...

    🍂✨🌼✨🍂✨

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Denise,
    I liked it, it must be tasty.
    Thank you for your visit at the house.
    Good August entry.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janicce, I enjoyed my visit to your house and I will be back. Thank you for your visit to mine :)

      Delete
  12. Some nice healthy meals are coming out of your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are big fans of cauliflower, roasted and riced. We buy whole heads and then have the options to use it either way. Thanks for the idea of adding black beans which is something we haven’t tried before. Thanks😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy. I have a head of cauliflower in my fridge right now :) Enjoy it roasted also. I sometimes put a combination of onions, broccoli, mushrooms along with the cauliflower on a baking sheet in the oven.

      Delete
  14. We enjoy cauliflower rice, I sometimes put a little broccoli in with it too.
    Many thanks for sharing this recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, adding broccoli is a great idea, thank you :) All the best to you too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!