Tuesday, August 11, 2020

A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK

Thank you David (Travels With Birds) for sticking with me until I got its ID correct!  I really appreciate your help.  David identified this beauty as a Red-shouldered Hawk.  Also my thanks go to Dorothy of the Frog and the Penguin for steering me in the right direction.
This is a post I shared on my old blog in February 2013.  If it is new to you, that's great. If it isn't, I hope you don't mind me sharing it again. 
 
For me, I have enjoyed looking back at several posts I made, and I will share those also at another time.  
I am not sure what type of hawk this is.  I mislabeled it originally, trying to keep up identifying the many I saw that morning, being new to birding, particularly birds of prey.  
I am still learning so perhaps someone more knowledgeable would help me out.  I looked online at several birds and they all looked so alike, even as I tried to identify feather patterns, color of eyes, beaks and claws.
I read about a demonstration given by The Raptor Conservancy of Virginia, which would be held in the open air on the grounds of a university about 45 minutes from where I live.  This was long before my sweet other half had retired so I went on my own, quite excited at the first-time prospect of seeing raptors up close. 
The birds have a permanent home at the Conservancy.  They were brought there to be cared for and rehabilitated after being injured.  Unfortunately the ones I saw could not be fully healed and returned to the wild.  They were now used for educational purposes.  
Taken good care of by their handler was very obvious, as she showed a lot of affection for them.  She was, in fact, quite protective, making sure we spoke quietly and didn't get too close.
I had joined a small group of fellow bird lovers/camera enthusiasts, who were as enthralled as I was.  For over an hour we were all delighted to be close to this beauty and others, as we were introduced to several amazing birds.
We were as quiet as could be so as not to startle them, having had a preparatory chat from their handler before they were introduced.  There was another lady who brought out each one.  
We were told all about them, and at the end of each session were allowed to take our photos, individually being given a turn at the best angle.  
Apart from the sound of camera shutters, no one said anything.  The handler was very interesting and knowledgeable, and we were able to ask our questions before another was brought out.
And we all just keep taking one photo after another.












As you see, I took many photos!


Thank you for stopping by, and stay happy and healthy out there.

42 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience to be so close to this majestic bird. Feel free to share it again ANY time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and still a wonderful memory. Thank you EC :)

      Delete
  2. What a FUN thing to attend! I would have been over the moon! You got good shots, with lots of variety. They are the definition of FIERCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, it was a lot of fun and I was over the moon :) Happy you enjoyed my photos, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) Glad you liked them so much!

      Delete
  4. Magic to see and great photos.
    Like them all, well done.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing birds and fabulous photos they are so sharp and clear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Denise,
    It is a beautiful hawk. Awesome collection of photos. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and I wish the same for you :)

      Delete
  7. i wondered how every single photo of this handsome devil was so perfect and sharp and clear.. now i know after reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, one of those rare opportunities that was a real gift. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful creature. I'm glad you took so many photos. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous clear photos!

    I would love to attend an informative program, like this!

    'Miss BB'🐝🐝
    "Beside a babbling brook" blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, thank you! When everything settles down I am going to look at their site and see if there are any scheduled.

      Delete
  10. Extraordinary photos. If you haven't read it, you might enjoy "H Is for Hawk." It's not easy going, but so worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Buttercup, that sounds like a very interesting read :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Denise,
    What an amazing series of images of this beautiful Hawk, what a stunning bird with such a piercing eye, any bird lover would have had a wonderful visit.
    You both stay safe in these awful times.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, those eyes were amazing. I remember thinking that when I was looking at them. Windows to the soul and all that. Thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  12. Wow!
    Simply amazing photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great photo subject, Denise, and I was wondering if it might be a Red Hawk. I don't recall seeing these images before, so thanks for a re-showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and so glad you enjoyed them. Also thank you for the ID :) I'll look for more on line.

      Delete
  14. Oh, wow, Denise. These are wonderful. I am absolutely no good at identifying hawks. But I am sure good at loving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose and me too. I wish I was better at ID'ing these beautiful birds. Being good at loving them, now that's all that counts in the long run :)

      Delete
  15. What an amazing adventure you have taken us on, Denise! Your photos are outstanding as is the subject. I'm sure you have fond memories of this visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was! Thank you Martha Ellen :) Yes, I have very fond memories of this experience.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you Anni, so happy you liked my photos :)

      Delete
  17. You have changed the name to Red-winged Hawk instead of Red-shouldered Hawk, Denise. I think you just invented a brand new species!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Thank you David, appreciate you coming back and letting me know.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!