Monday, August 31, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - RAMEN NOODLE STIR FRY

This week's recipe came from Build Your Bite hosted by Joy.  Her posts are a very enjoyable read, her photos are great, and I recommend you take a look if you would like to see more tips and details than I have in this post.


Ramen Noodle Stir Fry 

Servings: 5 
Calories per serving: 588

3-4 blocks of ramen noodles (flavor packets discarded) 
5 oz golden oak shitake mushrooms
8 oz sugar snap peas
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced into strips (around 3 - 4 medium carrots)
1 small bunch of green onions, diced
1/8 cup fresh ginger, finely diced or minced
1/4 cup fresh garlic, finely diced or minced
One batch of 3 ingredient stir-fry sauce (recipe below this one)



Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet and heat to medium high.  Add mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots, green onion, ginger, and garlic.  Cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are done to the way you like them.

Add more sesame oil if necessary to avoid sticking (I added an additional tablespoon half way through cooking)

Boil the water for the ramen noodles

In the last five minutes, add in the sugar snap peas

Once the sugar snap peas are added, add the ramen noodles to the boiling water. Follow package instructions to cook.  Follow instructions on the packet but mine says 3 minutes.

Mix together a batch of the stir-fry sauce (recipe below). 

When ramen noodles are cooked, drain them and add to the cooked vegetables.  

Next mix in the stir-fry sauce, and cook 1 to 3 minutes until everything is mixed in.


Serve and enjoy!


Stir-Fry Sauce

This was the link provided by Joy on her ramen noodle recipe to make her stir fry sauce.  Only three ingredients.  Very simple and delicious!



1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Add all ingredients to a mason jar.

Screw on the lid and shake to combine

Once your stir fry is mostly cooked, add sauce and heat an additional 3 - 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Serve immediately

Joy's tip is to use this sauce in a stir fry with fresh minced garlic and fresh minced ginger, along with the cooked vegetables and what ever protein you are using, if any.  Over the years whenever I didn't have either available, I used both ginger and garlic powders and didn't think much of it.  Using them will make this recipe very bland she says.  I have to admit at noticing the difference in taste when I started using fresh, but I still have the other on hand if needed and there isn't anything else.

Another of Joy's notes: this is intended to cover 6-8 servings of stir fry, served over unsalted rice or noodles.  Otherwise it will be too salty.  It is a highly concentrated sauce, a little goes a long way. 

My notes: we had three packets of ramen noodles in the pantry, along with a can of button mushrooms, a small can of chopped chiles, and a can of sliced lotus roots marinated with chiles and it was time they were used. Today was the day I put everything into this stir fry, as it was a 'let's throw everything into the mix' kind of a day.  Not much thought to it, just throw it in.  Wouldn't mind those lotus roots again as they were a great addition and had a bit of heat.  

Looking in the fridge there were carrots, ginger and garlic but no sugar snap peas, green onions, shitake mushrooms or green bell pepper.  Instead we used a sweet onion, celery and zucchini. I also added a cup of frozen peas.

You can also add your favorite protein.  

This recipe turned out great, and there are leftovers. A no cook-day will be very nice. 

Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great week!








31 comments:

  1. I love Ramen, and this looks so good and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I want some now. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stirfries are wonderful aren't they? Quick, easy, tasty and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are and I agree with everything you say :) Thanks EC!

      Delete
    2. Sorry EC, I can't comment on your post today. I hope the robot thing sorts itself out for you. I shall try again when I get off my regular laptop and go to my iPad. Maybe that will do something.

      Delete
  4. Hello,

    I love the ramen noodles, this looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did :)

      Delete
  6. this is a no for me, to much salt in ramen noodles and the calories in this are half my calories for the day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then definitely not for you Sandra :) I have bought baked ramen noodles before and also omitted the season packets included, and gone real easy on the salt. Also I measure it out in my 1 cup measure for portion control.

      Delete
  7. This looks good. I'd serve it over cauliflower rice and some chopped spinach and really up my veggie content. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Buttercup, now that sounds delicious! Thank you for your idea also :)

      Delete
  8. Any source, for new food ideas, is a good thing. :-)))))

    🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds good...our kind of dinner. I’ve never tried Ramen noodles, if you can believe that! Mentioned that in a conversation with our oldest grandson the other day and he laughed and said he lived on them when he was in college )). I’m adding them to my pantry list now as your recipe sounds delicious (as opposed to just pouring hot water over them with the spice packet like he did!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, that's what I hear about college students, smiling here as I remember when I first discovered them I would just pop a packet in the pot for a quick lunch as is. Let me know if you enjoy them :)

      Delete
  10. Delicious! That second photo down is so realistic it almost had me reaching for a fork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really does look delicious. Stay safe and have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I stopped by after dinner. Sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks a nice plate of food :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!