Monday, July 24, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - EGG FRIED RICE


This is another YouTube recipe hosted by Sisi Jemima.  The link to this Egg Fried Rice is here.  We did quite a lot of stopping-and-starting while making it, especially as we were doing this for the first time, to get her guideline.  We gave it a ten out of ten by the way.  Our kitchen is relatively small so I usually sit at the kitchen table and Gregg is at the stove top doing the cooking.  I have a cutting board with me and will share in the preparing stage of cutting up veggies, also done at the kitchen table, while giving step-by-step instructions to Gregg as I listen to the video.  I push pause a few times and rewind if I miss anything, so it was a slower process than it normally is.  

Sisi has a recipe blog and this is her website.  I couldn't find this particular recipe but I may have overlooked it.

Some of the ingredients are metric.  I have put what I thought the amount would be for what we used.   For any food I didn’t use I marked in red lettering.  We didn't stick to the exact measurements as we wanted leftovers the next day.  You just use what you think you might want for each serving or if you like leftovers yourself, make extra.


 Sisi Jemima’s Egg Fried Rice Recipe 


Vegetable oil for sautéing (we used avocado spray)

100 gm diced pork 

100 gm diced chicken (we used whatever leftover meat  there was on an already cooked rotisserie chicken from our local supermarket)

1/2 cup diced and cooked prawns (or for us, a 10 oz. packet of firecracker shrimp - Wegmans brand - see below)

3 eggs, slightly whisked

4 cups cooked rice (here we used 2 packets of Trader Joe's already cooked frozen Jasmine Rice.)

1 cup diced carrots 

1 cup green peas

3 cloves garlic, minced (we used 3 Dorot cubes - see below)

1/2 cup chopped onions

Handful of spring green onions

3 tablespoons dark soy sauce

2 tablespoons light soy sauce (low sodium if you have it)

1/2 tablespoon sesame oil (I will use a tablespoon next time as we enjoy the taste)

The nice thing about stir fry is that you can use any of the vegetables in your fridge.  You can also leave out the protein to go vegetarian.


Prepare and measure ingredients so you have them right next to you when you begin cooking. 


In separate bowls add the dark soy sauce to your chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.  Next, do the same with the pork.  Set aside.  (we didn't follow this part as we were using the cooked leftover rotisserie chicken and already cooked shrimp.  We also did not use pork this time).  

Add oil to a wok or frying pan.

When oil is heated add the eggs.  Scramble the eggs.  I like the way Sis Jemima did hers.  She describes them as scrambled but still a bit chunky.  Take them out and set aside.  

Add the marinated pork to the pan and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until pork is brown on all sides.  Transfer into a bowl and set aside.

Put the pan back on the stove top.  Next a tablespoon of vegetable oil goes in and when that is heated, add the chicken.   Season with salt and pepper being careful about how much salt you use.  Cook chicken until brown on all sides.  This should take about 6 minutes. 

Transfer the marinated pork back into the pan and combine with the chicken.  

Add and combine the onion and minced garlic.  Cook for about three to four minutes.

Add and combine the carrots and peas for another two minutes.

Add the rice and scrambled eggs.  Mix in well.

Add the dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and sesame oil, black pepper and spring onions.  Combine thoroughly and add more soy sauce if you think it is needed.

Now add the cooked prawns which goes in last.  You just need to cook about a minute, long enough to heat the prawns through.

Sis Jemima's tip about the rice: she doesn't like using Jasmine and substituted Basmati rice.  If you are using Jasmine rice you need to cook it the day before and refrigerate until needed.  If you use Basmati you can cook it as normal before you make your recipe.

I highly recommend watching her video before you start, just in case I have left anything out, and because we made our own version.  She has great tips. You can cut and paste the following address which will take you straight to the video.

https://youtu.be/Ql8h49eP-gA


Our shortcuts on this recipe were:

Pre-cooked rotisserie chicken which we bought from the supermarket the day before for that night’s dinner, and diced and used what was left for this meal.

Firecracker Shrimp from the frozen section at Wegman’s (their own brand).  

These we cooked to the directions on the box, and added to the stir fry at the same time as our cooked chicken. This only takes a few minutes to heat through.  The shrimp were small and we left them whole.  You can also use already cooked steamed shrimp that we occasionally buy from the seafood section of any of our local supermarkets.  It usually comes with a container of cocktail sauce and we eat it as an appetizer.  We have added them to other dishes too.

We will use mushrooms next time.

Instead of fresh minced garlic cloves, we used 3 cubes of Dorot crushed garlic which we store in the freezer.  The cubes are tiny and they thaw quickly in the pan. 


We also used 2 packets of Trader Joe's already cooked Jasmine Frozen Rice.


I realize you might not have these brands in your area, but there will probably be an equivalent if you want to make your own shortcuts.  Sometimes, depending on how you feel, the less fuss the better.

We didn't marinate the pork or chicken as shown in the video (didn't have any pork).  This meal was done on impulse as we wanted something relatively fast to put together.  Next time we will follow everything to the letter after a shopping session.   

Because we didn't need to marinate the meat, the liquids were added to the ingredients in the pan almost to the end of cooking time, and gently mixed so that all was combined.  Then we put in the cooked chicken and firecracker shrimp, again gently mixed to combine. We cooked it a minute or two which seemed long enough to heat through.  It worked out well for us.  My advice though is to add a little liquid at a time and taste test as you go along.

This is Gregg's meal the second night.  He sautéed cubes of steak and added them to the pan of leftovers for two or three minutes.  They were still hot and there was no need to reheat.


If you have any questions, leave them in the comment section and I will be happy to answer them.  I feel like I am all over the place with this recipe but next time it should go more smoothly, and we sure did enjoy it.





42 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, and very versatile as well. I have the frozen garlic cubes, but have not tried them yet. You are lucky to be able to shop at a Wegmans. Our nearest is almost an hour away. So we only rarely go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) Those cubes are very handy. Our Wegmans is only 15 minutes away and is our favorite supermarket. We have a closer other name supermarket but like the seafood department and bakery more at W’s, and the produce section.

      Delete
  2. Glad that you both enjoyed it - and hooray for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shrimp and eggs...the rice has got to be GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That indeed does look delicious and I wouldn't have to buy anything as I have all those ingredients here at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have the ingredients already. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious! Will make this a must to do next week!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, hope you enjoy it and please let me know what you think. Hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  6. This is childhood delicacy that I get it as a reward whenever I get a good academic report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always happy when special dishes makes us remember our childhood.
      And that's a lovely way to reward a child for something special with their favorite meal. Thank you for sharing that :)

      Delete
  7. egg fried rice is something I can still eat, minus the onions, i made adjustments for IBS . this is almost the same as what I make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know Sandra :) And this recipe is easy to adjust.

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    Looks delicious, I like Shrimp fried rice. The crushed garlic looks very convenient.
    Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, it's a good combination :) You take care and have a great week also.

      Delete
  9. This looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fried rice looks delicious! Barb makes a killer fried rice a couple times a month but I might have to pass this recipe on to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, I would like to know how Barb makes her killer fried rice. It must be outstanding :)

      Delete
  11. Looks Yummy Denise. I've always loved Asian food. You're always making something delicious. Your kitchen must smell wonderful.

    Have a good Summer week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) Me too! I have always enjoyed Asian food.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I remember William. Let me know what your favorite food is and I will do a recipe for you :)

      Delete
  13. You make a fine team in the kitchen creating this delicious looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen :) There are days when we graze and fix our own something light, then there are days we fix something light for each other, and then there are the real fun days when we both share making a meal. I guess we can be called foodies on those days as we have a long list of recipes we want to try.

      Delete
  14. I agree with Ellen, you two are a fine team in the kitchen. This recipe looks wonderful! Fried rice is a favorite of my husband so I'm pretty sure he would be willing to be my sous chef when we make this lovely meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen :) when hubby retired he asked if I could make Thai food. I told him I would love to but it was when I started having trouble with my fingers and said I would need help preparing. He readily agreed and you could say it was his stepping stone :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. That is great Gosia. Please let me know how you like it :)

      Delete
  16. Cooking together sounds like fun. Thanks for the fried rice recipe - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Carol. We have a lot of fun. You have a great week also :)

      Delete
  17. I don't let my hubby in the kitchen! Well, not true. He does the dishes! Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. Doing the dishes is a big help, that’s for sure :)

      Delete
  18. "we sure did enjoy it."

    That's the important thing!

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Jan :) Thank you and you have a good week too.

      Delete
  19. Love stir frying and there were some good tips here. I've never heard of frozen garlic cubes and I hope we have some in one of our supermarkets here. (We don't have Wegman's here or in Florida sadly - it sounds like a great chain.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, they are quick, versatile and very nutritious. Not every store around here stocks Dorot. I am very happy we have a Wegmans. Another one has opened up closer to our son and daughter-in-law’s place. They were so pleased :)

      Delete
  20. Just back to tell you that I read a couple of more blogs but couldn't stop thinking about those garlic cubes, so I just did a search of the Dorot website and found out they are sold in the freezer section at least three of the supermarkets where we go. They're on my list!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is wonderful! Those searches come in useful don’t they? I will look forward to you trying them.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!