Thursday, July 6, 2023

MERRIFIELD GARDEN CENTER - 6-29-23 - PART 2

 These are the plants and flowers seen outside. We looked at dozens of them, trying to decide what would grow best where we intended to put them in large-ish planters on the deck.  We have a lot of shade and had to take that into account.  We are very thankful to the friendly, knowledgeable staff who gave us lots of good advice.  

This pretty flower in my next photo is Rocket Larkspur.  Its other names are Giant Larkspur, Doubtful knight's spur, Eastern larkspur and Larkspur.  Botanical name: Consolida ajacis. Native to Eurasia but is widely grown in the United States as an ornamental, and known for its tall spikes of blooms in blue, pink or white.   
It is very toxic unfortunately, due to types of alkaloids found in the aerial parts of the seeds.  "The word aerial when relating to plants simply denotes the structures of a plant that is above ground, including the stems, leaves and petioles.  Petioles is the stalk that joins a leaf to a stem, flowers, fruits and seeds."   That information came from here, and you can read more about the flower here.
  There was quite a large magnolia tree for sale in a huge planter.  I didn't see a price but am still curious at how much something like that would cost, not that we were thinking about it.  We don't have a large enough garden to accommodate something that big.  It can grow from 1 to 2 feet a year, reaching 60 to 80 feet tall, with canopies spreading 30 to 50 feet wide.  I took photos of it instead.
The Southern magnolia is also known as Big laurel, Evergreen magnolia, Bull bay and Large tree magnolia (botanical name Magnolia grandiflora).  They are native to southeastern United States, from southeastern North Carolina to central Florida, and west to East Texas.  It attracts all kinds of wildlife, including birds.  They are pollinated by ants, yellow jackets and flies.  Therefore, sparrows, flickers and wrens might frequent them.  In parts of South America you might also find antbirds who feast on ants around these trees.  Late summer fruits prove excellent sources for cardinals, grosbeaks, finches, tanagers, and woodpeckers.  Wild turkeys also consume the leaves and twigs of southern magnolia.  Thank you to my app, Picture This, for all this great information today.  You can also read about the magnolia at this link.
There are lots of coneflowers on this aisle.  I didn't buy any today but was happy to admire them.
Artisan Red Ombre coneflowers (according to its info) and more can be found here.  I looked at my picture app and it gave me another name of coneflower.  I wasn't sure so didn't want to give the incorrect information. I trusted the garden center for the correct name.  I rarely have a bad ID with this app but if I am not sure, I won't repeat what I have read and as always, I welcome help if you think I have mistakenly ID’d anything.  I love learning every day.
In the photo below is Siberian Bugloss, also known as Largeleaf brunnera, Great forget-me-not and False forget-me-not, to name a few.  It should be planted in an area that is shade to part shade.  Native to the Caucasus, a region between the Black Sea and Caspian Sea.  More information can be read here on the geography of that area.  It is a hardy rhizomatous, herbaceous plant and is deer resistant.  The word 'bugloss' is a Greek word meaning 'ox tongue'. It is thought it was so named because its leaves are heart-shaped, and its texture is bumpy and rough.  You will see weeks of delicate blue flowers resembling forget-me-nots that flower in early to mid-Spring and they can last until early summer.  This link will tell you more.
Fern-leafed Bleeding Hearts (info at this link.)
This information sign was located above the flowers.
The next photo was taken near the small koi pond that they have.  
I didn't write a lot of information about these, but I will provide a link where you can click on its name if curious.  My Picture App said that the large yellow-ish round plant was an Hinoki Cypress, the plant on the red rock lower left, Gold moss stonecrop and the flowers below it, Blue plantain lily.   These links are businesses where you can buy the plants, except for the last one which is a Hosta plant.  I tried to find simpler websites without success.
Tiger Lily, with more information here.  Also called the Devil lily, Japanese lily and Kentan.  Its botanical name is Lilium lancifolium.  A perennial plant that prefers filtered sunlight, so they would work in several parts of our garden.  
By this time I had had two lengthy chats with people from the center, and they were very knowledgeable and answered all our questions.  We bought two large green pots, which we left to be filled and picked up the next day.  (I will take photos for another post.)  It was exceedingly hot and I was beginning to feel like this little dog.  I think our expressions were the same, tongue and all!  We shot sympathizing looks at each other.  It was the first really humid day we've experienced so far this year.  My Virginia-born hubby loves it.  I on the other hand had had enough and was feeling a bit cranky with the heat.  I've said it before, but I don't know what on earth I would do if I lived further south, or in other tropical climes around the world.  I haven't changed since experiencing that first summer in Virginia in 1976 (I moved here in December 1975).  I used to lie flat out underneath the window air conditioner in our apartment in Alexandria.  I had never felt that kind of heat/humidity before.  So, how are you with extreme humidity?  Yes, I don't mind admitting it, I am a wimp in that area.
I couldn't see a price on the butterfly yard art and wasn't sure it was for sale, maybe.  I took the photo on the fly while I was heading for the car.
  
My over-heater was overheated.  The humidity had left me light-headed and I felt faint.  Speaking of which, my dear other half, bless his cotton socks, sent me this.  He is always teasing me, a fun teasing not an uncomfortable teasing, and I return in kind. It’s good to not take ourselves too seriously isn’t it?  I received this from him shortly after our trip out.  I laughed!   At least my face hasn't turned into a patchwork quilt of purples, reds and blues.  That first year it gave my new hubby a bit of a shock, and to this day he keeps an eye on me.
Some of the life-cycle of a caterpillar poster was obscured at the bottom but... 
I found this online, along with yet more interesting information.
My last photo was in the shade.  I think there was an outdoor fan nearby because I immediately felt myself cooling down, the half-way point to the car.  It shows part of the koi pond and there are actually small koi swimming around.  It's a very pretty, well done little area and my photo doesn't do it justice. I enjoyed the coolness of this spot so much that my dear other half, who had been inside purchasing our planters, was walking to the car as I arrived.
So that's all from the garden center.  I hope to be getting back there several times over the growing season.  It's my favorite place for buying plants.






37 comments:

  1. The Rocket Larkspur is my favorite, it is gorgeous!! I have never seen any around here. And you got wonderful shots of the Magnolia bloom. So what did you buy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, two really beautiful flowers. I bought two types of basil, one was the kind we use in Thai food and the other regular. I have never tried growing them from seeds before and I hope they turn out okay. I bought two gifts which I can’t mention yet :) and then the two planters with various shade plants. I will take photos of them soon.

      Delete
  2. All is looking good and interesting Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a large wealth of information here. Larkspur is mentioned a lot by bloggers lately. I will have to check it out in local nursery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting, I would be interested in their posts :)

      Delete
  4. That looks like a wonderful garden centre. I suspect I would be there a lot - and would spend a lot too.
    I loathe heat and humidity makes it worse. I hope you have fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been keeping in the air conditioning Sue and feel fine thanks :) I don’t mind heat as much as the humidity. In fact I love it in the south western desert. We need a bottom less check book for these places don’t we?

      Delete
  5. So many beautiful flowers. I would have a hard time choosing what to buy.
    I never used to mind the heat or humidity but the older I get the less I can take it. I'm still ok with heat just not humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, and I can see your point about as we get older. I notice lots of things. I have though been like this since I was 25, which was when I married and moved to Virginia :) and it probably feels worse because of my age.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind HOT, but hot and humid is the worst combination!! I got sick every goddam summer when I lived in my hometown. Those flowers are so beautiful, esp. the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, totally agree :). Thank you Angie.

      Delete
  7. Denise my friend I understand about heat and humidity. I remember as a child almost having a heat stroke one hot summer day in Alabama. I don't sweat enough and can get over heated. I've found running cool water over my wrists helps and have even stood in the shallow part of a lake to cool off. Now you're saying crazy lady why do you live in Florida, right? I also don't do well in really cold weather and gray days give me the winter blues. I feel better in bright sunshine with a good air conditioner! Love all the flowers and info - thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to your photos of your deck with planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that sounds awful Carol. I will have to remember the cool water on the wrists, a valuable tip, thanks so much. No, most definitely not a crazy lady for living in Florida. For one thing the bird life would draw me in and I can understand about the sunshine. Growing up in a cooler temperature though, I am still drawn to cold weather and grey skies. Now talking about a crazy lady, lol! When things are ready out on the deck, I will be sure to post photos :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers, I like the Larkspur and the Bleeding Heart. The pup does look hot.
    It is hard to be outside on these hot and humid days. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen :) and thank you. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  9. I love anything that blooms! The flowers here are beautiful.
    You have a sweet husband with a comical side...loved the movie...lol
    Central Texas is a hot box in Summer...with high humidity at times. Awful!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) Yes he is and has a great sense of humor :) Thanks Donna, and the movie is a classic for sure. I have heard about the humidity in your part of Texas. My goodness I think I would be opening the door of the refrigerator and sticking my head in there for a while :) hugs from me.

      Delete
  10. love that koi pond, and hate humidity. our humidity has been in the 90's every day, the Temps at 98 to 100, life is a misery outside for sure. it steals the energy and i was born and raised in this humidity, and lived with out AC until 1984 when I was 40 and finally got AC in bob's house. if you want bad feeling, try living in this with no ac.
    also humidity in winter makes cold much colder, like a knife going through us. at least here, unlike Savannah, we don't get very cold.
    the garden shop is beautiful, love the koi pond and at home depot, magnolias trees cost for 70 to 150 for 4 ft to 5 foot trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra :) Oh my goodness that sounds awful! Thank goodness for air conditioning. I keep remembering those old movies with ladies sitting on their porches fanning themselves with great vigor. Thanks for the info about the magnolia trees :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely flowers! Yes, summer in Virginia can be brutal. I went out to our state park on the 4th for a walk and wound up just sitting on a bench instead. The weather app said it was 85°F but it sure felt like 90 because the humidity was high. Be sure to get enough water and electrolytes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Linda, thank you. A nice place to spend part of your fourth :)

      Delete
  12. Bardzo intetesujacy post. Kocham kwiaty i lubię na nie patrzeć. U nas magnolie kwitną wczesną wiosną są piękne . Miłego weekendu😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo! Kwiaty są powszechnie kochane przez nas wszystkich. Cudowna myśl! Życzę bardzo szczęśliwego weekendu.

      Delete
  13. I think it would be difficult to pick out flowers for the garden and I say three cheers for hanging in there. Can't wait to see the planters. I don't mind heat but humidity flattens me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read up more on them, but I certainly got lots of help and I am always thankful for it. Thank you Jeanie, I will share those planters when I have everything tidied up out there. We have some work projects to do first. That humidity gets us every time doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  14. Denise, I am totally with you on the humidity we have in VA. I have lived here my whole life, except a few times that my husband had extended travel away. Your husband is a trooper for sure, but me not so much. Love your husband's sense of humor! I can't believe I grew up with no air conditioning as a child!
    Your garden center sounds divine. So many lovely flowers with such a helpful staff. My favorite garden center went out of business here--so sad. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have chosen for your planter. In the meantime stay in the cool AC, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are a trooper Martha Ellen. We all have something that we do that people think highly of us for. We just might not see it ourselves but others do, like your dear family, like us out in blogland :) with us, it’s certainly not dealing with humidity, lol! But from what I have been reading here today, we are in good company :))) People didn’t have air conditioning when we were children did they? But they sat on their porches and chatted with their neighbors while fanning themselves. They were outside more I think. What a shame your gardening center closed. I hope you will get a new one sometime. I will be sharing my planter flowers soon. You stay cool also, I will be sticking close to the air conditioner. There are hotter days to come before this summer is over.

      Delete
  15. The Coneflowers make me smile. I do not do well with humidity and my hair becomes quite clownish in it. I'm happy to live in the more northern climes although we've experienced some humidity today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely aren’t they? Now, that’s an image that made me smile, but I know what you mean. I have those days :) It sounds like you live in a lovely area Ellen, having followed your blog for a while now. Stay cool!

      Delete
  16. I've always thought the magnolia blossom was unique and beautiful. I used to have a magnolia tree at my old house, and the blossoms are HUGE with a wonderful scent. You had a nice visit at the garden center. There are lots of pretty flowers, and that little pond is charming. Water is always calming to be around.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely place to visit, loved seeing the colourful flowers.
    Larkspur is one of the birth flowers for July, water lily being the other one.

    Wishing you a happy weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, it's a fun place for sure. I didn't know that about the Larkspur. That's my birthday flower then :) and I love water lilies. I hope your weekend was happy also and all the best :)

      Delete
  18. Beautiful flowers.

    I do not do well in the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!