Saturday, July 8, 2023

SATURDAY MORNING AT THE BIRD FEEDER - WHAT HAPPENED?

 




























Okay squirrel dear, here goes.  

The new birdfeeder was an early birthday present from the Mr.  It was ordered literally months ago, and we had forgotten all about it by the time it arrived recently.  The Mr. put it up for me and I was tickled pink.  It had a Wi-Fi and after he synced it to my phone, all I had to do was wait for a signal that a bird had arrived.  It took a couple of days for them to find it.  I just kept pointing in its direction every time one flew by.   I do love the squirrels but I ignored them, this was specifically for the birds.  Silly me, I thought they were too big to fit on the ledge.  They were obviously laughing at me behind their paws and claws.  

We had it for almost two fun-filled weeks when the Mr. told me that some industrious little thing had started chewing at the plastic cover enclosing the food.  Industrious little thing had artistically made a tooth-chewed arc out of the plastic cover. It was such a perfectly shaped arc I gave it a ten out of ten.  The cover is supposed to prevent any foraging to get to the birdseed, except for the birds as when the exposed seed on the ledge is empty, then other seed falls down to replace it.  However, industrious little thing had made the hole so that its small but muscle-bound arm could fit through.  More muscle power allowed it to eat yet more seed.

I filled it back up and thought it might have been a one-off and didn't think much about it for a couple of days. However, one afternoon there was this terrific bang.  The birdfeeder had literally been lifted off its moorings, and it and several other pieces were littered on the deck. The offending party was hightailing it at light speed up one of the branches.  Squirrel!!!  The Mr. put it back together and we optimistically thought it would be okay. And I was still getting plenty of bird photos on my phone.

The next day, in the early hours around 2.30 a.m., I was in bed but startled awake when I heard another terrific bang.  Somehow, I knew what that bang was as it was identical to the one before. But squirrels don’t come out in the middle of the night.  I ran down the stairs and peeked through the curtain.  Once again, the bird feeder was on the ground but this time it was in broken pieces.  The culprit was feeding on all the birdseed that had spilled out from the large container.  I opened the curtain and knocked on the glass loudly, in rapid succession.  This bad boy gave me a momentary look as if terribly bored at my unwarranted attention and continued to eat. I banged a few more times but stopped as I didn't want to wake the neighbors.  I certainly wasn't going out there to shoo him off!  I mean, look at that face!


He will be in my bad books for a bit, but I should have known better, it was my fault.  I am passed the time when I usually stop feeding the birds.  I reminded myself yet again, there is more than enough natural food out there now, and the raccoons have started their rounds.  Another lesson has been learned.  I need to stop this sooner.  At least he said, after he had eaten his fill...


I am still getting bird photos but not from this camera, from other people all over the world who have the same Wi-Fi bird feeder.  This feature is included in the initial price.  Yes, I am still in sync with others' bird feeders.  You get the option to share with others, which I thought was a lovely idea, or you can keep it private.  People are having a delightful time with their little tweety-visitors. I am seeing and enjoying birds I have never seen before, and hopefully, they don't have ravenous and
 industrious little things chewing off their plastic covers. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them. 


The good news to my story is that my other birthday present was the bird bath, and that's still in tact!  These thirsty birds will have a lot to drink during the hot summer months.



And this old bird learned another life lesson!








40 comments:

  1. A good imagination you have Denise.
    Sorry the bird feeder broke on the ground by creatures and what a good idea to have a wifi one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I liked the idea of the wifi but I don't think I will be replacing it with another, for the time being at least.

      Delete
  2. This is like a Disney movie going on with a cute script.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare, comparing it with a Disney script I am honored :)

      Delete
  3. I am sorry about the feeder but you (and the birds) will have a heap of fun with the bird bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, and I agree, the birdbath will provide them with not only drinking water, but a place to have fun splashing about :)

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Well, I think I would have strapped it to the post as well...Those squirrels and racoons are stronger than they look.
    Love the idea of being able to see other peoples feeds!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually bolted in, lol! But where there's a will there's a way I guess. Thanks Donna and hugs from me too :)

      Delete
  5. Having a raccoon in your backyard sounds like lots of fun :-)) Now you have to get a new bird feeder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I found them fun until they started to be naughty, lol! I have started putting food on the rail as we have had other bird feeders damaged but this latest one looked sturdy, bolted to the frame and thought it was unbreakable. Famous last words! The rail food is no-waste and it disappears before it gets dark. But, I will be giving the feeding a rest for a while, at least until it starts getting colder again :)

      Delete
  6. What a cool birthday present that was. Too bad certain guests to your yard had to break it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool, thought about it for a couple of years but then hubby said what would you like for your birthday present this year,and there you go :*( I usually try to manage expectations but got carried away with this one. That will teach me, lol! :)

      Delete
  7. Squirrels can get to any bird feeder, I have experienced that

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear what happened to your new feeder. Those darn raccoons can ruin a lot of feeders not to mention eating all the food. I had to put away my feeders due to all the critters I did not want hanging around our yard. Cute images, love the captions. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I have discovered there is no such thing as a squirrel-proof or raccoon-proof bird feeder. I don't have any bird feeders at the moment and will not be purchasing any more until I can find one that is as strong as Fort Knox. Could be a while ;)

      Delete
  9. Cheeky furry critters! That's too bad about your birthday present! Happy Saturday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect description of them Ellen :) Thank you and Happy Saturday to you too :)

      Delete
  10. I suspicioned racoon right from the beginning of your story. Racoons are a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we who know racoons, are in the know :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh! I have just read this aloud to Phil. This is so awesome!! Where did you buy it? I want one! Is it very expensive; are there several models? I love your fountain bath as well!!! Are you going to replace the feeder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, it is more expensive because of the bells and whistles. It also had a lot of complaints because of the long waiting list. I will send you the info when I find a website. With all the complaints my son wisely said you don't know if it's a competitor, but then I tend to take any product complaints with a pinch of salt. I won't be buying another one as I am still looking for something indestructible ;) Could be a while!

      Delete
  12. Even before the photo I knew the culprit. He's been at my place in the past, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We too recently bought what was supposed to be a squirrel proof bird feeder ...
    I really don't think there is such a thing!

    It's so lovely to watch the birds at feeders and in bird baths.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right there Jan and yes it is :) You have a lovely weekend also and all the best.

      Delete
  14. Oh no! I wonder if they would replace it for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so but I will look into it :) Thanks Jim and Barb.

      Delete
  15. Grayden and I both laughed together as I shared your adorable tale. So sorry about your sweet present, Denise. I've said it before, you should write a children's book or a book for all of us that enjoy your Saturdays Mornings at the Bird Feeder! Love your sweet photos and your darling bird bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet with your comments Martha Ellen, so glad you and Grayden enjoyed my whimsical tale from the bird and squirrel and raccoon's point of view :)

      Delete
  16. Wiewiórki i szopy zapewne myślały, ze nic się nie stanie.gdy zjedzą odrobinkę jedzenia przeznaczonego dla ptaków;) Piękne ptaki odwiedziły ten karmniki. Miłego weekendu😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję, na pewno masz rację :) Odwiedza nas wiele ptaków, które zmieniają się zgodnie ze swoimi wzorcami migracyjnymi w okresie zimowym.

      Delete
  17. That's one of the reasons I don't have bird feeders outside, because of the mischievous squirrels and other critters! That's too bad they nibbled on your new bird feeder, Denise. It's always a joy to see the birds wild in nature when they just come on my lawn and visit. Yes, nature provides for them. Pretty pictures of the fountains.....and that red cardinal!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise Sheri but I went down this particular rabbit hole years ago, lol! My father used to make the loveliest bird feeders and I remember watching them from our kitchen window. He definitely passed the bird feeder gene to me, though not the making of them :)

      Delete
  18. Oh my gosh this was fun! (to read -- not so fun to lose the feeder, but you made a great story out of it. Those darn bad boys (both species) are so cute, but so hard on the bird feed budget. Loved learning about the fancy new wifi feeder, even though I'm past the stage of life where I feed the birds -- it's definitely one thing I miss about our "former life."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, happy you enjoyed it. Naughty and cute as you say :) I stopped buying bird feeders a while back but this drew me to it like a siren song, and when hubby said he would buy it for my birthday, just could not resist. Should have known better, lol! I can see the day coming when I will do the same as you. Right now I sprinkle a no mess seed on the deck rail and it works well, at the moment ;)

      Delete
  19. Squirrels must be Squirrels, and raccoons must be raccoons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!