Sunday, December 31, 2023

NEW YEAR’S EVE


I am still listening to holiday music but it will soon be time to sing this one.

https://youtu.be/PER8f7bQIlg?si=NAf6ngF0iXUws1HX


I have lost count of how many times in my 73 years I have sung this song.  In my family it was a tradition on New Year's Eve. Aunts and Uncles would come on over, as well as close friends of my parents, while listening to Andy Stewart as he hosted Hogmanay on TV.

What is Hogmanay and for those who are unfamiliar to the term, this is what I found online:

"Hogmanay is the Scottish celebration of New Year's Eve and can last for days.  No one celebrates the evening quite like the Scots.  It is believed the Scots inherited the celebration of Hogmanay from the Vikings and their celebration of the shortest day.  Many, however, believed that as Christmas was virtually banned and not celebrated in Scotland from the end of the 17th century until the 1950's, New Year's Eve was an excellent excuse for revelry, to drink whisky and eat good food.  To this day Hogmanay involves parties and festivals all across Scotland, with the largest and most famous public party in Edinburgh."

I had an Aunty who was born in Scotland, who used to tell me how she celebrated as a child and I loved those stories. 

For us we joined our family circle and crossed arms, held hands and sang Auld Lang Syne as the clock struck midnight and we said goodbye to the Old Year. Then we hugged one another and raised a glass to bring in the New. It was the only night of the year that we kids were allowed to stay up late and party with the adults. There was always a lot of laughter in our house, especially at times such as these.


Auld Lang Syne
by Robert Burnes in 1788

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint stowp!
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll take a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, me dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne

We twa hae run about the braes,
And pou'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary fit,
Sin' auld lang syne.

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl'd in the burn,
Frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin' auld lang syne.

Chorus:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o'kindess yet,
For auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fere!
And gie's a hand o'thine!
And we'll take a right gude-willie waught,
For auld lang syne.

Chorus: 
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.


This week we are returning back to normal after all the fun activity of the holidays. We become reflective and realize we have so much to be thankful for. No day is taken for granted because having family and friends whose lives have changed in the blink of an eye, and with events that have happened in our own lives, we know only too well that we need to count each day as a blessing. For me, if I have made any New Year's Resolutions it is this, to tell those nearest and dearest to me how very much I love them, and how much better I am for having them in my life.   

And to those whose lives are affected terribly by world events, our hearts go out to you, we see you and wish you Peace and Joy in 2024.  

A Happy New Year to everyone!  
May it be your best one ever,
And in the words of this marvelous melody,
Let’s tak a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.







38 comments:

  1. So lovely Denise thank you. Wishing you a happy year ahead 🎉 Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Cloudia and I wish you the same :) Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Echoing Cloudia. Happy New Year my friend - and all the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and A Very Happy New Year to you too my friend and many more :)

      Delete
  3. I've never been big on New Years eve celebrations. I'll be asleep before the ball drops...lol
    Happy New Years to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We celebrate quietly also Ann and will probably sleeping through the fireworks ;) Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  4. I usually play Xmas songs on youtube until I become very tired of hearing them. How I use up Xmas energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sound alike Roentare :) There are some wonderful pieces on YouTube.

      Delete
  5. A great post for New Years Eve! Take care, happy New Year's Eve. I wish you and your family all the best in 2024, a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) You take care and have a Happy New Year's Eve also. We wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo i Tobie również życzę szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!!! :)))

      Delete
  7. A beautiful post, Denise...
    Happy New Year!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna and a Happy New Year to you also, with hugs :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you very much David and I wish you and Miriam the same :)

      Delete
  9. I had never heard that rendition, very beautiful. Nor had I heard of the tradition of crossing arms.
    Very interesting post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim and Barb, so glad you liked learning about this tradition. Happy New Year to you all :)

      Delete
  10. Everybody has their own way of celebrating once a year events. I have never heard that the Scots celebrated very little at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true and it is always so interesting how people do celebrate. Thanks Red :)

      Delete
  11. How much better life would be if we all gave away that cup of kindness to others!
    Wishing you and your family a happy, peaceful and healthy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, thank you so much and I would like to wish you and your family the same :)

      Delete
  12. That would have been a treat to spend New Year's Eve in Scotland and celebrate it well, when we were younger! Thanks for sharing the traditions. A very Happy New Year's to you and yours, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to do that Ellen, it would have been tremendous. You are very welcome and A Very Happy New Year to you and your sweet family :)

      Delete
  13. There is a Scottish style New Years Eve held here. I'll drop in, but won't stick around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting William. We were talking to someone the other night about the Scots who emigrated to Canada and here too. Old traditions live on :)

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year to you and your family Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, and to you and yours also :)

      Delete
  15. It's lovely to hear how the Scots celebrate, Denise. Also nice to hear your own traditions. Your blessing for the new year is beautiful. I wish the same for everyone. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Martha Ellen, happy you enjoyed :) we feel the same don’t we? Happy New Year to you and yours also.

      Delete
  16. Andy Stewart ... that takes me back :)

    Sending good wishes for a happy and healthy 2024.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too when thinking about all those years ago Jan. I send you the same :) and all the best.

      Delete
  17. Great song Denise. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, so glad you enjoyed it Margaret. Happy New Year to you also :)

      Delete
  18. The song sung on It's a Wonderful Life! That's nice. Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year, Denise. I just saw a travel show all about Hogmanay. It looks such fun! Happy New Year -- I'm so delighted to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!