Monday, December 11, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CHICKEN EGG NOODLE SOUP

Yesterday (December 10th), it was a rainy day here in our part of Virginia. I had a soup on my list for such a day. It was delicious so thank you Elizabeth, host of Cook2EatWell. You can find the original recipe here. It is a great soup, has a wonderful flavor, and a ten out of ten!  Please visit to see all the notes and helpful tips for this recipe.  Other great recipes on here also.


Chicken Egg Noodle Soup

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 1 hour 

Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Servings: 6 - Calories: approximately 261calories per serving.

 

1 pound chicken breasts (2 pieces) skinless, boneless and trimmed of any fat

8 cups chicken broth divided (2 cups to poach the chicken, plus 6 cups for the soup)

Pinch of salt

4 thyme sprigs divided (2 for the poached chicken and 2 for the soup)

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 tablespoons butter

1 small onion, finely diced

2 carrots, sliced into rounds (about 1 cup)

1 celery rib, sliced or diced

2 garlic cloves minced

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

4 ounces egg noodles


Poach the Chicken:

Place the chicken in a medium saucepan large enough so that they fit side by side without overlapping. Cover the chicken with 2 cups chicken broth, add 2 thyme sprigs and a pinch of salt.

Start the chicken on high heat and bring the broth to a boil. As soon as it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and cover.

Gently simmer the chicken breasts for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked (165°F at the thickest part).

Remove the chicken breast from the poaching liquid and set it on a cutting board to cool.

Don’t discard the chicken broth; we are going to use it for the soup. Strain it using a fine mesh strainer and reserve it for the soup.

When the chicken has cooled enough to handle shred it using two forks, or your hands.


Make the Soup

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot and the butter has melted, add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook the vegetables gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the garlic to the pot and cook for 1 minute, stirring almost constantly.

Add the flour to the pot and stir well until it’s incorporated. Cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes. Stir almost constantly.

Slowly add in the reserved poaching liquid and the 6 cups of chicken broth. Stir constantly until the ingredients are combined and the flour mixture is dissolved in the broth.

Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the broth to a boil.

Add the shredded chicken and the remaining thyme sprigs to the pot. Stir well.

Lower the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and cook the soup for 20 minutes. Stir the soup occasionally and keep it at a simmer; if it starts boiling too vigorously lower the heat a bit.

While the soup simmers cook the egg noodles to package directions in a separate pot. Use the lowest recommended cooking time. We don’t want to overcook them.

Drain the egg noodles well and set aside until the soup is ready

 

Finish the soup:

Remove the thyme stems from the pot. Use tongs to fish them out and discard.

Add the cooked noodles to the soup and stir well. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let the soup sit for a few minutes before serving.

Taste the soup and add salt if needed.


Elizabeth's Notes:

Cook the egg noodles in a separate pot, not in the soup. If we add the uncooked noodles to the soup, they will soak up most of the broth as they cook.

Don’t add salt to the soup until the end because packaged chicken broth contains a good amount already.  (Denise’s note: I always use low-sodium chicken broth.)


It was a great soup and I didn't make any changes.  I made cornbread to go with it.

Added note: we have leftovers for at least two meals each. The next bowl will have had a chance for the flavors to develop even more. They will be very welcome as there is a dusting of snow on the ground today.   

I also like to freeze meals for another day. I found this website with some great tips on freezing.  There are also links to more chicken soup recipes.








37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Great, thank you Diane, I hope you like it as much as we did :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Denise,
    The soup does look delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome :). You take care and have a wonderful week also.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious. Nothing like a bowl of soup on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann and I agree. I am also glad for the leftovers as it will taste even better today. We woke up to a dusting of snow.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll make Chicken Noodle Soup soon. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gigi, that’s great :) I ho you enjoy it as much as we did.

      Delete
  5. I love a good chicken noodle soup. Thanks, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a good chicken noodle soup recipe. Thank you for the notes. The soup you made must have been tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, it was very flavorful. You are very welcome for the notes. They help me also.

      Delete

    2. I wanted to comment on your blog Linda, but after reading your first paragraph I was hesitant. I’m sorry you are still having these computer problems and hope you will be able to resolve them soon. I tried to send you an email but I was sent to other downloads of ones I am not used to, and not being computer savvy other than the ones I know, I hesitated about that. I am hoping you will come back and read this comment. So sorry to read that Mr. P. has been in hospital but happy to learn he is back home. Lovely to also read that you have a very supportive family. Thank you for all the updates on your family and life in general. I wish you only the very best and I do appreciate the update on your blog. If I don’t get back to you before, have A Very Merry Christmas and may 2024 be the happiest ever.

      Delete
  7. I like the extras she adds that I never had with chicken noodle soup like the thyme and the flour. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen :) The thyme was a great addition, and gave it a flavor I really love. One of my favorite herbs. The flour thickened the soup somewhat without it being too much.

      Delete
  8. we are having a chilly day for Florida, 56 going to 66 and 47 tuesday morning. we could use a couple of bowls of this soup and it is something i can eat. yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is chilly for Florida. This would be ideal. Stay warm!

      Delete
  9. this is exactly how i make mine with a squeeze of lemon juice at the end!! yours is beautiful, we always have french bread with ours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the lemon juice next time. It would add a nice zip. French bread would be an excellent choice. Thanks for the great tips Debbie :)

      Delete
  10. Your soup looks perfect for the weather we are having. The thyme in this soup must have been wonderful! Stay warm and cozy, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you :) I am very partial to thyme. Did you get a dusting of snow like we did? All gone and a bit wet and soggy out there still. I'm staying inside so yes, I will be warm and cozy. I hope the same for you too dear friend.

      Delete
    2. Thyme is a favorite of mine as well, Denise. I was so surprised when I opened the blinds this morning to see the beautiful white snow covering everything so beautifully! We did have to go out this morning to Grayden's post op appointment, but it was not difficult, just lovely! Now it's all gone. I guess the perfect snow without shoveling! Staying warm and cozy here, my dear friend.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you didn't have a problem driving to Grayden's appointment. It is pretty when it's okay for driving. Perfect snow without shoveling, I like that, yes indeed :) Glad all is well with you dear friend, nothing like a cozy evening at home when it's snowy and cold outside. Though all our snow has gone too.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. We had it for supper again tonight and as we thought, flavors had developed into an even more delicious soup.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Appreciated the two thumb's up :)

      Delete
  13. Those egg noodles are the best. Your chicken noodle soup looks delicious, Denise. Perfect for the cold weather we are having. Hot soups and stews are wonderful.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I am looking forward to making it again but the temperature is 58 degrees F. right now, not exactly soup weather and a nice surprise. A beautiful day and I hope it's the same out your way :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!