Monday, December 18, 2023

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - CHEESY CABBAGE PIE - SERVES 6


This recipe came from a food blog called The Yummy Bowl hosted by Julia. The beginning of her profile reads in part, "I share easy and healthy recipes for the whole family. Everything you see here is Gluten-free and mostly made with whole food ingredients." Thanks Julia, we enjoyed this recipe very much, and we gave it a 10 out of 10. I recommend visiting, not only for the great tips that I don't always put on here, but for the other recipes and excellent photos.

CHEESY CABBAGE PIE

Julia described this as more a breakfast casserole or strata, vegetable frittata, quiche, Spanish tortilla, or a thick pancake. She serves it as a side dish or as a healthy breakfast bake with a spoonful of sour cream.

 
Cheesy Cabbage Pie - serves 6
Calories per serving: approximately 300
From prep to table this takes about 1 hour 5 minutes.
 
4 large eggs
¼ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise) 
¼ cup flour (gluten free blend or regular all purpose)
1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free if neccessary)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 pound cabbage (about 6 cups thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Pinch of black pepper
1-⅓ cup grated mozzarella cheese
Butter for greasing the baking dish or a spritz of avocado spray (which I used)
Freshly chopped parsley for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8 or 9-inch round baking dish, using butter or cooking spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, yogurt, and mayo and whisk until blended. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, black pepper, baking powder, and corn starch. Whisk flour mixture into the batter until smooth.

In another mixing bowl add cabbage and 1 teaspoon salt. Massage the cabbage well to soften and release juices.  This also allows the cabbage to absorb the salt well.

Spread the cabbage evenly across the baking dish. 

Pour the batter evenly over the cabbage.

Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on top and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cabbage pie has set.

Remove from the oven and let set for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. 

Garnish with parsley and serve with yogurt or sour cream.


A green or mixed salad would be a nice addition, or even a soup.   

I like to read the comments underneath these recipes. Someone said they added caraway seeds and fresh thyme, that they over-browned the top but it was still tasty. I never know with my cooking temperature and sometimes raise my oven an extra five to 10 degrees. It runs on the cool side. Following this cooking time, I still found it wasn't quite set in the middle, so I put it in for another five minutes.  I didn’t add caraway seeds but used thyme instead of parsley as it is what I had.

It was a lot browner than the original recipe, more on the outside than anything but it still tasted excellent, and my dear other half said not to change a thing.  Next time though, if it isn't set in the middle, I will cover the dish with foil the last 15 minutes of cooking time.

Another commenter suggested adding Parmesan cheese, and Cheddar instead of the Mozzarella.  That sounded very good but we enjoyed the Mozzarella so much, we will probably use that again.

You can use pre-packaged coleslaw mix also, the kind with carrot added.

I added sliced mushrooms and also puréed raw carrot left from another recipe.  They were a nice addition. I might not have needed to do this but I sauteed the mushrooms for about 10 minutes and added the pureed carrots for the last five before adding them to the cabbage.  

I might also add green onions.

There were leftovers and they can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.

This dish can be frozen (after baking) for up to three months.  When thawed heat in oven or microwave.

I thought this would be great to take along on a picnic, as I could definitely eat a slice cold.  

Here is the website if you prefer to copy and paste instead of using the links.  




34 comments:

  1. That sounds simple - and delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tempted me to have a bite at it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Denise,
    The cheesy cabbage pie look delicious. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe.
    Take care, have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and you are very welcome :) I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That description fits perfectly Angie, thank you :)

      Delete
  5. It looks really good. I love cabbage and I like the idea of using the bagged coleslaw mix with the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, the bagged coleslaw would take a big step in saving time and energy :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a yummy pie!
    Happy week to you!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a keeper that's for sure. Thank you Donna and a happy week to you also. Sending hugs :)

      Delete
  7. If not for IBS I would be trying this recipe after a trip to the store for ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds different and I think we would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another very interesting recipe, Denise. I would definitely enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Martha Ellen, we enjoyed it very much.

      Delete
  10. I hadn't ever thought of adding cabbage. A wonderfully creative recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hena :) I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for always broadening our repertoire. Denise! Aloha friend

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dish looks incredible, Denise. You are the best cook!

    Have a merry Christmas week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thank you so much Sheri, and you are very kind. You have a Merry Christmas week also my friend :)

      Delete
  13. Being able to freeze part of the leftovers is always a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this sounds so good, i really like the ingredients and even some of the alternatives!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, glad you like the look of it. It is an easy recipe to make your own :)

      Delete
  15. All of the ingredients appeal to me, so I'm sure I'd like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!