Wednesday, December 13, 2023

HUNTLEY MEADOWS PARK IN ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA 12-5-23 WHAT I NOTICE IN THE WOOD

Before starting our walk we always stop at the signs to see what is going on at the park.

I am concentrating more on the trees and plants today as we walked through the wooded area, but the first thing I saw was a squirrel running up the side of a very tall tree trunk about 30 feet high. We don't see squirrels very often here, but we saw a lot of things today that we don't normally see.
He's eating something, perhaps a tasty acorn. I was surprised to find they were omnivores.  If I knew that originally, I have since forgotten. Aside from eating mostly nuts and acorns from oak, beech, walnut and hickory trees, as well as seeds, fruits, bulbs and flowers from other plants and trees, I read that they will also eat frogs, insects, bird eggs and farm crops such as corn and wheat.  And, of course, my daily feast of whatever I buy for the bird-feeding table!  They don't seem to be fussy eaters.
I am one of those people who enjoys looking at all the dead leaves as we walk by, to see what I can identify. The bright green leaf with all the veins drew me in. I identified it as English Ivy. European colonists introduced it as early as 1727 according to this website. Its origins are Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa. There is a lot more information at the link. 
The smaller, lighter green leaf is Japanese Honeysuckle.  One little snippet I read at the previous link is that it was "introduced to Long Island, New York, in 1806, for ornamental, erosion control and wildlife uses."  I'm wondering if the plant app identified it correctly as I read further "It is a fast-growing vine that twines around stems of shrubs, herbaceous plants and other vertical supports.  In full sun it forms large tangles that smother and kill vegetation.  It can kill shrubs and saplings by girdling."  
It certainly looks like the kind we had in our garden years ago, but it didn't last and died off.  I was thinking I would plant more next growing season but the suggestion is to use native alternatives, "Coral honeysuckle, hairy honeysuckle, crossvine and trumpet creeper."  
I will be coming back to read this before I take a trip to the garden nursery. I remember the scent being incredible and I noticed it especially when the weather was warm.  Before it got too hot it was lovely to sit on the deck and just breathe it in.  I loved its scent, still do when I see it elsewhere.  
The Coral honeysuckle is what we had in our planter.  I don't remember any scent but then I didn't stick my nose too close to it and I couldn't detect any otherwise.  I think it was definitely Japanese honeysuckle growing in our garden, after looking at all the photos online.  If any of you are growing it, or have grown it, what do you think?  Would you plant it and can it be controlled with a lot of tender loving care?


"The red-leafed plant coming up is called the Burning Bush. It is native to northeastern Asia and was brought to North America around 1860 as an ornamental shrub.  It has been widely cultivated and planted through the eastern United States and Midwest.  Soon after its introduction, it escaped into the wild and has now naturalized in 25 states, including Pennsylvania and Delaware."  More at the link above.

Another pretty red leaf found was Arrowwood virburnum, botanical name Viburnum dentatum. It is native to the Eastern United States and Canada, to regions from New Brunswick to Minnesota and south to Georgia.  The name was inspired by Native Americans because of their use of the strong shoots which developed from the roots, for shafts of their arrows.

This is the time of year we see all the interesting fungus growing on dead logs. The one below is called Birch mazegill, botanical name Lenzites betulina
It is commonly found on decaying coniferous or deciduous woods. While its natural color is a yellowish brown, it may sometimes appear to be green due to its propensity to host algae.  It is said to be inedible because of its touch and leathery texture.  I found very similar photos of the following fungi that looked like the above photo, but my plant app kept identifying this as Turkey tail, botanical name Trametes versicolor.
Its meaning 'of several colors', versicolor in its Latin name reliably describes this fungus that displays different colors.  
Because its shape and multiple colors are similar to those of a wild turkey, it is commonly called Turkey Tail. 
Next we have a plant called Winterberry, botanical name Ilex verticillata. These bright red splashes of color were everywhere.  The berries were used for medicinal purposes by Native Americans, especially during fevers, so it is also called Fever bush.

Though I have several more photos from the park, I'll finish here for now with two photos of the Canada Goose.
They were all very quiet this time.  I hardly heard a honk!

Thanks for looking and I hope the weather is treating you well in your part of the world.





40 comments:

  1. Love the leaves and the funghi - and the geese are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read all about the plants as they are getting ready to sleep for winter. I too love the scent of Japanese honeysuckle, Denise. I'd be very cautious about planting it, though as you said. The other honeysuckles just don't have the wonderful fragrance the invasive one has. Maybe planted in a pot where it can't spread....Lovely photos of the geese. They are so strikingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad and you Martha Ellen :) the plant pot is a great idea. I agree about the geese.

      Delete
  3. It is so interesting to hear where many of these plants originated from. I would have never guessed some were that early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always found that interesting, and when they were introduced :)

      Delete
  4. I have very strong memories of honeysuckle and while I don't find it often, if I pass by and smell it, tons of past thoughts return instantlly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that first fungus is really strange, never seen one like it. the others i have seen. the woods were full of wonder and you saw it, the camera lens gives us extra eyes to see the wonders out there. I have to say I SEE it and Love it, but have never wanted to ID it. I only do that is someone else wants to know. honesuckle grows wild in Ga and will take over eveything here in FL, in the past before scent allergies it was a favorite scent for me, now the one on our neighbors fence causes a lot of coughing. to me it smells good, even though not now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra :) The one on the tree was fascinating. There is always something going on in the woods. I could happily live in a thick forest in a small cottage. I would be out all day finding things. I always wanted a macro camera but phones are getting so much better, I am convinced our eyes will see nature even closer and our minds will be mind-boggled, lol! I do love to find out what these things are. In the past I would go back home and look through one of my plant ID books. Now I have my plant app on my phone and can identify them instantaneously. Still have not gotten over the novelty of that. Oh dear, I am sorry you are dealing with those allergies.

      Delete
  6. Interesting vegetation, something not endemic in Hawaii. And we never see Canada Geese here, either. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, but your flowers and plants in Hawaii are incredible! :) No, not the Canada Goose. Others like the Nene are a lovely sight however.

      Delete
  7. Your first photo reminds me to look on the forest floor in the fall and I will see some plants that are ignored in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s always interesting what we find :) Thanks Red!

      Delete
  8. I love looking at leaves and also mushrooms are fun to photograph. So are leaves. So fun to be part of nature, look about, take shots. Perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, have always enjoyed them :) Thank you, and you have a perfect day also.

      Delete
  9. Hello Denise :=)
    Nature can still surprise me. All the plants you encountered on your walk are all new to me, but very colourful, and I enjoyed seeing the fungi, squirrel, and Canada Geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sonjia :) very true! Thank you, always happy you enjoy.

      Delete
  10. You saw some really interesting things. I did not know squirrels ate all those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, I didn’t know that either about squirrels either. For all the trees in that park, I am surprised we don’t see them more often, but I think more likely it’s because of those trees, they can get lost to our eyesight :)

      Delete
  11. Squirrels are adorable little rascals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nie wiedziałam tego o czym napisałaś o wiewiórkach to ciekawe. Piękne fotografie cudowny spacer. Życzę dobrych świąt:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo :) Ja też o tym nie wiedziałem. Tobie również Wesołych Świąt!

      Delete
  13. Not only a great walk through the woods, Denise, but lots of information especially about the fungus. The one called Trametes versicolor was really striking with the various colors. I have heard similar fungi referred to as tree fungi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, there were several other names mentioned in my plant app. I will have to go back and see if that was one of them :)

      Delete
  14. That fungus or fungi is really something. Love the turkey tail! We aren't snowbound so all is good here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fascinating this fungi :) Thank you Ellen and good to know you are not snowbound.

      Delete
  15. We've had a cold spell for the last 5 days. Trying to go outside at 8 am and it's 50 degrees with a strong wind. He He we have wind chills in Florida! I loved your post and all the info - I hope you holiday season is grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s certainly cold for Florida Carol :) Thank you Carol, glad you enjoyed and I also wish you the same.

      Delete
  16. Lots of things to see there Denise. Love the look of the fungi, one is similar to ours.
    Love ivy, it's troublesome though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I have heard ivy can be troublesome.

      Delete
  17. Fascinating photos of the foliage and mushrooms, Denise!
    Those geese are a delightful sight.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica Lee, glad you enjoyed. Hugs and blessings to you also :)

      Delete
  18. You definitely don’t want to plant Japanese honeysuckle. I’ve spent a lot of time cutting it out from inside shrubbery. It just keeps growing, twining around everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Linda, I will plant the alternatives when the time comes. I'm a bit sad about that because I do love it but I'll take the advice I've gotten today to avoid any mistakes. Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!