Saturday, December 16, 2023

SATURDAY MORNING AT THE BIRD FEEDER...AM I TOO NOISY?
















Everything was okay, they were just asked to not be so chatty, or at least if they were chatty, to take it up to the trees and keep the decibels down.

This noisy bird scenario came from something that happened to me in 1982.  Going back to our navy days, there was a time that Gregg was being sent to a school in northern California. I had three close friends in the neighborhood, and every morning we would meet at 5.45 a.m. to get some exercise. I can't remember why we chose that early hour, probably because we needed to be back for husbands and children who were all off to school. I remember dragging myself out of bed but once we started walking and talking, I woke up and had a whole lot of fun, was back in time to say goodbye to Gregg for the day and wake up our son who was only three at the time.

Our route took us through a wooded area, then through navy housing and then another wooded area. There were times when we would get very animated in our conversation, we'd laugh and just chatter away and generally enjoy each other's company. 

One morning, after doing this for about a month, a security guard pulled up beside us. Apparently, someone had complained and called them, telling them there were these really annoying women waking them up every single morning, and they needed to be told to either quieten down or change their route. We were shocked as we had no idea we were that loud, or that we could be heard inside these homes.  

We didn't change our route and continued walking every morning. However, when we came anywhere near the houses, we would zip our lips and do a fast trot until we reached the other side of the woods, so that we could continue that animated conversation.  

The security guard was more amused I think.  Occasionally I would see him elsewhere. He smiled and pretended he didn't recognize the woman whom he could use as a loudspeaker, without needing an actual loudspeaker, if ever he needed one. He was so nice to us, I'm sure we would have volunteered without hesitation. And there were no more complaints after he had a friendly chat with us.

When I started looking at these photos, wondering where my bird chatter was going today, this is where it went.  Funny what pops into your head. I haven't thought about that for years. 

Thanks for joining me today, and I hope I didn't talk too loudly!  Truthfully, I am the last person who talks at all these days.  I much prefer listening and adding snippets here and there.

Have a great weekend my friends.





38 comments:

  1. Thanks for the smiles. What a lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, a little disconcerting at the time, but when I reminded Gregg we both had a good laugh :)

      Delete
  2. You created the best conversations :-) Happy Saturday, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so Angie and Happy Saturday to you also :)

      Delete
  3. How fun to take an early morning walk with friends!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only describe it as joyful :) Thank you Donna and sending hugs.

      Delete
  4. These birds are like kindergarten kids talking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all turn into kindergarteners at times, all across the species :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you :) I guess we all have a lot of funny stories and great memories in our past.

      Delete
  6. it is funny/odd how things that don't pertain stir up old memories. yesterday when Myra saw the blue earring on my post, she said she started to sing Delta Dawn.. who knows. your story triggered a memory from 1964, I was 8 months pregnant and if i wanted our only car for the day, i would have to take my Air force hubby onto the basem out to the flight line at 5 am, driving back to the gate of Hunter ARB, i heard a siren blip twice and saw blue lights and an MP behind me pulling me over. He walked up to my window and I said you scared me to death. It was friend of ours and I thought it was a joke. it was not. He pointed at the men putting the flag up for the day and said, when on the base, you must stop until it is raised to the top. I said you are kidding me. Nope, a rule is a rule.. I still think that is just plain crazy, but lucky for me a year later we were no longer in the AF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Sandra :) and how interesting about Myra. We never know what every day things bring our memories back. Interesting about yours and the raising of the flags. Enjoyed your memories, thank you!

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy the chatter at the bird feeder. Glad the birds didn't get in trouble any more than you and your friends did all those years ago. I wouldn't have thought that anyone inside a house would be able to hear either. And certainly not enough to wake a person up unless you were screaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me very happy Ann, thank you :) Well, there wasn't a lot of soundproofing in those old navy houses, that I can attest to.

      Delete
  8. Love how the birds bring back sweet memories, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fun memory. Sounds like they need to insulate the houses better on bases. :) We have a pretty framed water color of two bluebirds with this verse written; "Whoever blesses his neighbor with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, will be counted as cursing." I thought it went well with your story. Happy Saturday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen :) Those old navy houses, post WWII I think, didn't have a lot of soundproofing. We lived in one while there. The last time we visited to see the old places, they had been torn down and sparkling brand new homes had appeared, no doubt with thicker walls. Love the verse! Happy Saturday to you too:)

      Delete
  10. Interesting background to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice that the birds bring back a happy memory. I enjoy listening to the bird chatter.
    Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, glad you enjoyed both memories and bird chatter :) You take care and have a great weekend also .

      Delete
  12. There is always something about being up super duper early and just doing something like that for ourselves. I find, it helps me give more later to others, when I first take that time out early on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this fun memory. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great captions and a wonderful story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that beautiful Robin. One of my favorite birds, Denise. A delightful "Saturday morning at the bird feeder" post. You know, those precious mourning doves are always in my neighborhood, and I just love them.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's a beauty since moved on south I think as I haven't seen him since. I'm glad you like the doves so much. They are a lovely visitor to our gardens aren't they?

      Delete
  16. Lovely post.
    Many thanks for giving us smiles and sharing memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and I'm very happy they give you smiles :) All the best to you too!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!