Sunday, December 3, 2023

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - A 'THIS AND THAT' FOR DECEMBER...

...and more from Pinterest. I have been putting this post together for a couple of weeks now. I am hoping to finish it and have it ready to go out on Sunday, December 3rd.  This is quite a ramble just to be forewarned, ha!

A very dreary day and raining heavily. It is 40 degrees Fahrenheit, though it feels colder. We have had several colder days so I can't moan at today's liquid sunshine. It is a little warmer because of the rain, but still a hot chocolate kind of a day.


This is our weather for the next ten days.

 No walkies for Camera Lady and Camera Lady's Husband, though we did pop out and treat ourselves to a cheeseburger and fries at McDonalds, a relatively short trip. Our drive was between rains.  The woods will have to wait. 

Here's a few facts about John Muir.

He is known as John of the Mountains and the Father of America’s national parks, as well as patron saint of the American wilderness. His activism helped to preserve the Yosemite Valley, Sequoia National Park and other wilderness areas in America. John founded the Sierra Club, which is an acclaimed American conservation organization.”  Thanks Mr. Muir, we owe you a great debt!  You can read more about him at Wikipedia here.

I have been preparing tonight's dinner, one I have had on here before. It is a vegan Lemon Spaghetti with Spinach. The recipe can be found at this link.  We tried it for the first time in June 2020, though we have made it several times since then. It was one our dear daughter-in-law gave us. Though we are not vegan, there are times when I want to put a meatless meal on the table.  However, today we added shrimp, and also another veggie, mushrooms.

I have been unpacking more ornament boxes. Gregg always notices if I don't have any of my old painted ones on the tree. I couldn't find them last year and he noticed then too. As I was a little earlier, I made a special effort to dig deeper and found a few. I also found an old stained glass wreathe. I bought it from a lady when we lived in Monterey for two years back in the early 80s. My dear man put it on the wall in the family room, along with another Christmas wreath tucked in the bottom of the same box.  

Years ago I had a small cottage industry. A friend asked me to join her craft table many, many years ago. I wasn't sure what to do until I found a simple wooden ornament in a shop, the side profile of a policeman. I bought it, looked at it for a while, and Gregg said you could make something like that but turn him into a navy chap, so the seed was sown.  Here's the ornament I made for Gregg.  As I said, very rudimentary but with great sentimental value.
 Shortly after we were driving by a Chinese grocery shop with old fruit and vegetable crates at the back of the store. The owner was in the process of throwing them out. This very kind person gave them to me after we asked if we could take some of them. He wanted to get rid of them and said I could come back if I needed more. We packed every nook and cranny of our car. That sweet gentleman gave me a free supply of wood that lasted the whole two years we lived in Monterey.  

I had no idea how I was going to make my ornaments, so my friend and I went to the navy woodshop for advice. I was taught how to cut out shapes and how to sand them. It was a hoot because there were these dear chaps building cabinets, tables and more, and there I was with my old fruit crates cutting out small, very rudimentary wooden ornaments. I got teased a little which was all in good fun, but they were a good lot, and I left with dozens and dozens of shapes. I painted them with acrylics and sold them at the local annual navy craft fair. 

All those navy ornaments, which were all I had at that first craft show (on navy grounds), sold out early and I had dozens of orders, not only for navy ornaments but wives asking me if I could do the other services too, and also female uniforms. Gregg was in shock when he came home one day to find not only Navy but also Marine Corps, Army and Air Force uniforms hanging up on every door in our apartment. I often wonder what their husbands would have thought seeing their very neatly pressed dress uniforms in such a way.  Probably would have been as shocked as my husband was that first time he came home from the school and saw them.  The doorbell kept ringing every day for a quite a while. The ribbons were important to many, and I found a two-hair paintbrush (slight exaggeration but not far from it) to paint those ribbons, and I was asked to put them in the right order. I also learned how to do parachute medals. Gregg was not surprised when I asked him for a bandsaw and sander for my birthday, which we still have a chuckle about when we think back to those days. He truly had as much fun as I did as he helped getting boxes and boxes into the car and setting up tables. He was my second arm and he loved doing it. He and our son as son got older, would come over to every craft show, sit at the table and take over while I got a quick lunch break.  It kept me very busy for not only the two years we were in Monterey, but for the next 14 years at all the places we lived, and my ornament selection took on many different forms from Angels to Santa Clauses, to anything I could cut out and paint. 

Gregg gave me one of those "Do you remember when..." as I read this out to him.  He reminded me of a story I had all but forgotten, of a lady who called me from the Midwest right out of the blue.  To this day I can’t remember how she found out about me, that information has long since left my head.  Maybe a friend or relative who bought one of my ornaments and sent it to her, who knows?  She asked me if I could make one of her pet cow. I had started making simply shaped animals. She sent a photo of her pet, I found a cow-shape in one of my son’s children's books, outlined it on tracing paper, cut that shape out and then attached it to my broken-down veggie crate.  Then I cut it out, painted it, trying to follow the exact pattern of her pet cow's coat, along with the right color and sent it off.  I had also started taking a Sharpie along to the craft shows and personalized ornaments when asked. This lady had also asked me to add her pet cow’s name which I was happy to do.  I had a thank you letter from her telling me how tickled pink she was, which made the extra effort very worthwhile. 

There is also a story about my Christmas Ornament Mystery at this link and also here. I just remembered that. Blogging friends who have been following me a while may remember this, but it will be new to other friends who have been visiting since then.

Anyhow, this painting wooden ornaments became a passion of mine, I was hooked.  I had so much fun making them, selling them and meeting people everywhere we lived, some of whom became good friends. I did this until my hands gave out and I couldn't paint anymore. However, loads of great memories were made. And just for my dear other half, I still have a whole box of my wooden ornaments to find, and I'm still looking.

From Christmas ornaments and a pet cow, to this lovely Highland cow. 

“These types of cows are commonly found in the Highlands of Scotland. In the old Scots language, ‘coo’ means ‘cow’ so you may find many people still refer to this breed as either Highland cows or Highland coos. Scots language is a variety of English that’s been spoken in the Highlands for hundreds of years. But it’s not the same as Gaelic. In Gaelic, you’d call a Highland cow a ‘ Bò Ghàidhealach’. Now, try saying that with a mouth full of haggis!” 

They usually aren’t dressed this stylishly.

“Pan, who and what art thou?" he cried huskily.
"I'm youth, I'm joy," Peter answered at a venture, "I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg.” 
~J.M. Barrie who wrote Peter Pan~
“I will spread my wings until I learn how to fly.  I’ll do what it takes to touch the sky.”
~sung by Kelly Clarkson and written by Avril Lavigne, Bridget Benenate and Matthew Gerard~
“Peace is the first thing the angels sang.”
"The best inheritance parents can give their children is a few minutes of time each day."
"The other day when I was walking through the woods, I saw a rabbit standing in front of a candle making shadows of people on a tree."
“Nothing says ‘holiday cheer’ like a snowman.” 
~Author Unknown~
No words needed, this says it all.
"I'm very happy being me, although sometimes I'd love to be a bird so that I could fly."
"Baking is my therapy, and the result is pure happiness."
  1. ~Author Unknown~
  2. Nothing to see here, just a snowman trying not to lose his nose.
  3. What is it with those noses?
Hang on to your, well you know, your nose!



Taking care of each other, that’s what it’s all about. 

"Be the hand - or antler - that lifts others up."
~Author Unknown~



For everyone of us...



Thanks for visiting and may you all have the happiest of Decembers!





40 comments:

  1. Your wooden ornaments are charming. I do hope you find them again - and thanks for the trip down memory lane. I love the thought of the coo ornament too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, still looking :) Also happy you enjoy my memory lane trips. I wish I had taken a photo of that little coo ornament. It was a bit of a rush to get things done at times.

      Delete
  2. Lemon Spaghetti looks great with many prawns. The ornaments look fantastic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roentare, much appreciate your kind comments :)

      Delete
  3. I have used cloves, cinnamon and nut meg, many times over the years to make the house smell good. i may do that today. don't have cloves but have the other. this is an amazing post. you are so very talented, i had no idea how talented until this post. what a great way to make friends and a little money and make so many people happy and I am sure all those ornaments are still hanging on trees all over the world. hope you find your box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I will be using this recipe soon. I will have to buy the cloves too. Sweet comments too, thank you :) I often wonder where my ornaments are hanging. Still looking for the box 👀 soon I hope.

      Delete
  4. Those are beautiful ornaments! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pasta dish proves that it’s always good to have shrimp in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Denise,
    What a festive post, I love all the images and quotes. I am thankful for John Muir and our national parks. The pasta dinner looks yummy. The Highland cow is so cute. I would like my house smelling like Christmas. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my post, thank you Eileen :) You have a wonderful week also.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes you read a post and go "I don't know what I liked best about this post because I was fascinated and enchanted by it all." And that was this one! First, I must say I am impressed that Gregg remembers what ornaments might be missing from the tree -- especially yours. That is both sweet and insightful and spot on! I loved seeing your ornaments and learning about your cottage industry and how it came about. So resourceful and fun. And they are quite wonderful. I also loved learning about the "coo" and am going to fiddle around and try to make that shrimp pasta dish. The quotes and the images you used to illustrate them are all spot on. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I appreciate your comment greatly, so kind :) I feel very blessed with Gregg. His mom and dad did a great job raising him, especially his mom as his dad was away at sea a lot. I expect you feel the same way about Rick :) I hope you like the pasta dish.

      Delete
  8. Loved reading about your ornament business, you are so talented Denise. Your vegan pasta recipe is accompanied by a shrimp dish photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine :) Yes on your shrimp question. It is the same recipe I posted before but this time we wanted to see how it would go with shrimp.

      Delete
  9. What an awesome post. I read it twice and read parts of it to my wife, who in turn read it. We recently did our genealogy to find out her lineage goes way back in Scotland; it was traced back to the 0300's. I am going to write about it in our next post (next Saturday or so). This explains why we have always been drawn to highlanders. We had several throughout the years and have pictures in our house. As for Haggis, I am not ready for that yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you made my day : ) Thank you so much! I am very happy you and Barb enjoyed it. This genealogy journey, once you get on that road, can take you on some amazing journeys through your family history. Gregg has been doing ours on both sides of the family for quite a few years now. I am very grateful that records have been kept for as long as they have. It would be amazing if you could get to Scotland. Just think what you could discover over there, plus seeing an amazing and beautiful part of the world. I have a little bit of Welsh on my side of the family. My grandmother’s name on my dad’s side was Jones, so I always wondered. No, not a fan of haggis, though it has been years since I tried it, so who knows, my taste buds might welcome it now.

      Delete
  10. I just love all the pictures you've shared here. The snowmen are my favorites but that highland cow is adorable. Your hand painted ornaments are wonderful. I've always wished that I could paint. That spaghetti looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, so glad you enjoyed my post and the recipe :) Coming from you who has so much creative talent, I really appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete
  11. Denise, I enjoyed this lovely post immensely! Your ornaments are so professional and meaningful. I am just imagining all of your artwork all over the country decorating Christmas trees. I'm sure their owners are sharing with their families the origin of them. Christmas trees are full of a family memories and it's lovely to think you have contributed to those memories that live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Martha Ellen, your comment makes me very happy, and I am very happy my post brought you enjoyment. Very true about all those memories on family Christmas Trees :) If as you say I have played a part in that, it certainly fills me with joy. Thank you again for this sweet comment dear friend :)

      Delete
  12. Hot chocolate is good on any day at this time of the year. It was interesting to read about the ornaments that you used to make and sell. I'm sure many are still treasured by those who received one of them. As always so many wonderful pictures and quotes
    from Pinterest . Have a great week, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B2 :) so glad you enjoyed my memories. I didn't keep copies of all the different ornaments I painted over the years, spilt milk and all that, but the ones I have hold a lot of sentimentality. You have a great week too.

      Delete
  13. Oh, what a lovely, lovely post this is.
    Thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  14. What a delightful post, Denise. So many beautiful pictures and great quotes. I have bookmarked it to my favorites.
    I love your ornaments, and that little trip down memory lane,
    Have you ever tried the bread/rolls recipe? It looks simple enough I may try it.
    The spaghetti dish with the shrimps added looks yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed this Sandra and feel honored you bookmarked it too. I have never tried the bread/roll recipe but I intend to and when I do I will share it on my blog :) I can recommend the spaghetti dish too.

      Delete
  15. A lovely Christmas collection there Denise. The prawns look good, we often eat them in a salad and I used them in cooking all kinds of things...Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, the salad sounds like a great idea and they go with a lot of things don’t they? So glad you enjoyed my post :) much appreciated!

      Delete
  16. I think this is one of my favorite posts as I so enjoyed your memories of starting a craft business. You're so creative! I love how you personalized those little ornaments for each person. I didn't know about cows or coos - what a wonderful word coos. I'm wishing you a blessed holiday. Thank you for brightening my day with your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy this brightened your day Carol and you are very welcome. Thank you for sharing that. Coos is a lovely word. Personalizing those ornaments brought a little bit of extra happiness for the people I met, it was a pleasure to do it for them. You have a blessed holiday also my friend :)

      Delete
  17. Hello Denise :=)

    This is the mother of all Christmas posts. It is delightful in every way The cute festive images and quotes made me smile, and your story of how your Christmas ornaments came to be is quite ingenious. Crate boxes, sand paper, paint, and your experience at the work shop helped you to produce wonderful wooden ornaments
    that required patience and artistic ability to create. You are such a talented lady Denise, but I already knew this from visiting your previous posts. You have made countless people happy decorating their trees with your uniformed service men, and
    the cow.:=) I do hope you find the rest of your decorative wooden ornaments. Thank you for sharing so much about Christmas, it was a pleasure.
    Best Wishes
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet thing to say Sonjia, thank you so much for this ever so kind comment :) Everything just seemed to fall into place with the help of a lot of good people. People I have met along the way have been true treasures, including you my friend. Best wishes to you too and thank you for making my day.

      Delete
  18. Such an absolutely delightful post. I loved every photo and picture. So glad I did not miss it altogether. Now I know what I am missing when I skip my blog reading:) Merry Christmas wishes and feels to you this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Jennifer, and thank you very much :) Time has been getting away from me lately so I understand completely. Lovely sentiments and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  19. How wonderful that you had that season of making those ornaments. Your creations were well appreciated. What a delightful post full of sweet illustrations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!