Monday, June 8, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - VEGAN LEMON SPAGHETTI WITH SPINACH

My daughter-in-law sent me this recipe.  So glad she did and I want to thank her yet again.  She is wonderful in many ways, and on top of everything else is an excellent chef.   

Gregg and I gave this recipe a ten-out-of-ten.  It comes from Vegan ❤️ Vegan hosted by Sina, and can be found here.  I would also like to thank Sina for such a delicious recipe.  I can highly recommend a visit to her blog to see other equally delicious recipes.



Lemon Spaghetti with Spinach 
2 servings
497 calories per serving


Lemon spaghetti with spinach is the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.  It is a one pot meal, super delicious, comforting, and 100 % vegan!

Course: Entrée
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: lemon spaghetti

Prep Time:5 mins
Cook Time:15 mins
Total Time:20 mins
Servings:  people
Calories: 497kcal
Author: Sina

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
9 oz spaghetti
3 cups fresh spinach
lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes

Instructions

In a large pot, heat some oil and sauté the onion for 3 minutes until it becomes translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.

Add the uncooked spaghetti, the vegetable broth, the coconut milk, and the lemon juice. Stir a couple of times and gently push the spaghetti in the liquid when they're soft enough (this might take a couple of minutes. Try not to break them when they're still too hard). Cook for 15-18 minutes.

When the spaghetti is al dente, stir in the spinach and the lemon zest. Cook for an additional 2 minutes and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Enjoy!


Sina's Notes:

"I usually cook my one pot lemon spaghetti on medium heat. Just make sure that the spaghetti are not sticking to the bottom once in a while. If this is the case, turn down the heat a bit. 

Don't be surprised that the cooking time is a bit longer than usual (15-18 minutes). The spaghetti won't be over-cooked at all. They just need more time as they don't have as much liquid as they would when you cook them in water. However, they will have a much deeper flavor this way!

It will take some time until all of the spaghetti are covered with liquid. Don't worry that's normal! Stir a couple of times and gently push the spaghetti in the liquid when they're soft enough. This might take a couple of minutes. Try not to break them when they're still too hard. 

I usually use full-fat coconut for my lemon spaghetti to make it extra creamy. However, I had some readers try it with light coconut milk and they said it still turned out very creamy."

You can find all the nutritional values underneath Sina's recipe.



Denise's notes:

Absolutely delicious, full of flavor.  This is the first time I have not cooked spaghetti in a separate pot.  The spaghetti absorbs all the flavors and made it extra special.

A meal with two servings but we found it more than enough and have set aside leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.  Might add a salad.

This is a vegan recipe but we garnished with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.  If you want it entirely vegan you will leave that off .

Gregg decided to add the whole can of coconut milk, and it worked out well, very yummy.  Of course the calories change and you'll have to factor that in if you are counting.

I added extra fresh spinach leaves on top, just because I'm always trying to pretty it up, and I like raw spinach.

Sliced green onions would have been nice also.

I would have no trouble leaving the Parmesan off next time to go totally vegan.  

This recipe is now added to our favorite recipe folder and can see making this again many times.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your week.



31 comments:

  1. This recipe is so different, and really does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different to any of the spaghetti dishes we have ever tried, but was very glad we tried this recipe. Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. It looks good and would taste delicious I expect.
    We rarely have spaghetti in this house as my husband doesn't care for it at all - any kind of pasta actually which is a pity for I don't mind it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, your husband sounds like my Dad. He was a meat and potato man and there's certainly nothing wrong with sticking with what you your taste buds tell you :)

      Delete
  3. Personally, I would rather have the traditional spaghetti with meat sauce. Why? 'Cause I don't care for anything coconut or cooked spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anni, and we never tried any spaghetti dishes without the regular tomato sauce either. That is up until we started eating all kind of noodle dishes, especially in Thai food. That we love :)

      Delete
  4. I will try this thanks so much Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine, and thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Coming to sit at your table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very easy recipe to follow. Love the looks of that dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, it is an easy dish, pretty too :)

      Delete
  7. this sounds light and lovely, simple but delicious. the perfect light meal for a summer evening. i am definitely going to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, let me know what you think of it please :) Thanks Debbie!

      Delete
  8. Sounds good to me. Keep healthy, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, I was planning on a spaghetti recipe this week, and now you have provided an idea although I may be adding some shrimp to ours with the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yumm! Last week Bill made a delicious cauliflower curry recipe with coconut milk, an ingredient we’d never tried before. And (because somehow we always buy three cans of something when we only need one) , I just happen to have all the ingredients for this recipe..... thanks as always as we also continue to try to add more vegetarian recipes to our repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you like the look of this. Bill's cauliflower curry sounds delicious! We are adding more vegetarian dishes also. Thanks Sallie :)

      Delete
  11. Thank you Laurie, it was certainly different to anything we have ever tried :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow i'm going to try this - came here from Christine's blog. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, thanks so much for stopping by. So glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!