Wednesday, June 10, 2020

FLOWERS AND ANSWERS

Asters and Coneflowers

The answers to yesterday's questions.



1.  What is the highest mountain in the world?
Answer: Mount Everest in Nepal and Tibet is 29,028 feet above sea level.  The five highest mountains in the world are in the Himalayas.


2. What is the highest point in North America?
Answer: Mt. Denali in Alaska, at 20,310 feet, is the highest mountain on the continent.  It was also called Mt. McKinley, but the peak has always been known by the Athabascan name of Denali, which means "The High One" or "The Great One".  (Although my book says the elevation is 20,320 feet, I have since read other numbers.  However, in June 2015, a survey expedition used modern GPS equipment and methods, along with a better geoid model, to determine a new elevation of 20,310 feet, which is why I changed the original number.  So, there you go, my advice is to always check on everything, even though you have read it in a book.  Read several books if interested and cross reference them all to get the correct answer.  I have a voracious curiosity to get to the truth, and I'd say the same for every answer I give.  I'm just not doing that today for the rest as am still having iffy internet connections.)



3.  What is the highest point in the 48-contiguous United States?
Answer: The summit of Mt. Whitney in California is 14,494 feet above sea level.


4.  What is the lowest point on land in North America?
Answer: Death Valley, also in California, bottoms out at 282 feet below sea level.


5.  What is the lowest point on land in the world?
Answer: Earth's lowest point on land is the Dead Sea in Israel and Jordan, which is 1,312 feet below sea level.

I hope you've enjoyed this.  I think I will do this once a month.



20 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers! Well, at least I got one right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I enjoyed reading the statics. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, your flowers are pretty. I enjoyed reading these answers. I would like to see Mt. Denali. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, in our once-in-a-life-time trip to Alaska a couple of years' ago, I was blessed to see it. It is quite an amazing sight. You have a great day also :)

      Delete
  4. I did enjoy this . I had no idea that the Dead sea was so far below sea level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know any of the answers yesterday on the questions but I did recognize one that I knew but had forgotten and that was about Death Valley for the rest of them I had no idea and unfortunately with my senior memory tomorrow if you ask me this and told me you would give me a million dollars I would not remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Sandra! My senior memory is always reminding me that I need a refresher on many things :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Denise,
    Love the flowers and really enjoyed the quiz in these awful tmes, managed to get more correct than I thought I would.
    Stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done John, and happy you enjoyed the post :) You stay safe also.

      Delete
  7. Glad to know I wouldn't be graded on your questions, Denise. I only knew a couple answers. Love the asters and coneflower photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the answers, Denise!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!