Thursday, June 11, 2020

A FEW BIRDS, A FEW FLOWERS, A SQUIRREL

These are birds taken from the deck at the back of the house.  All are daily visitors.  The Cardinal was the first to show itself.  
I have seen more American Robins up in the trees than ever before.  I only ever used to see them hopping around on the ground in the springtime, but the last couple of years they have stayed longer and pick a branch to sit on.  I'll often look up to see one staring down at me.
The Blue Jay call to their families, and a few minutes later they arrive.
This one looks young.  I saw another trying to get its parent to feed it earlier, but was being encouraged to feed itself.  The lessons of life had begun. 
A crow always visits during the day, to see what seed we have to offer.
On this particular day there were no others. Some of these photos were taken through glass and screen.  They give an interesting effect.
The female Cardinal turned up soon after the male.
She really is a pretty one, a lot of beauty in her  more muted colors.
Another American Robin on my neighbor's fence post.
My last bird is a Mourning Dove.  Their soft cooing first thing in the morning is my favorite alarm clock.
Lastly, a squirrel was once again chattering and urging us to go inside. The weather was perfect, warm but without humidity, and we had been sitting outside on the deck longer than usual. After we left three others joined him at the birdfeeder.
There has been a bear sighting not too far away. There were photos of it hanging over someone’s fence, stretching to reach their bird feeder.  We are in a heavily populated area, so this is unusual. I saw the photos on our neighborhood app. I think it may be time to stop filling the feeders for a while.  I suppose with staying at home longer than usual, I have been delaying it.  When the warmer weather arrives, I know they have enough food in nature, so our friendly neighborhood bear 🐻 is a good reminder. 
My neighbor's peonies always look stunning.   There are lots of our roses in bloom also. This was one of the better photos I was able to get below.

May you all have an enjoyable day, and thanks for visiting.

  



39 comments:

  1. A wonderful post! I will really miss you feeding the birds. The female cardinal looks mad. The male cardinal thru the screen looks like a fancy edit. I love the sun shining on the crow's back! And the first robin is so plump that it looks like you have been feeding him lard. Each picture so very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I will miss feeding them too. So glad you enjoyed the birds.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the feathered, furred and flowering enchantment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC, I am happy you had fun looking :)

      Delete
  3. You sure do have a lovely collection of bird visitors not sure about squirrels and bears though. I like the American Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, all are welcome here but perhaps not the bear for his safe and everyone else's :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, Love your pretty birds and photos. Your Peonies are lovely. We have had a bear on our deck looking for food, we heard they are around our area too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and oh my about your bears! You have a great day too :)

      Delete
  5. Peonies are beautiful and I like the looks of the Cardinal, never seen one of course down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, happy you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely set of photos and of course all birds that I doe not see here. Keep safe and enjoy your day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even know where to begin...such a nice series of photos. I love that first one of the robin puffed up on the tree branch. And such a cute young Blue Jay. And squirrels are always cute. Your rose is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, and thank you! So glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  8. I agree 100% with Jenny that this is a wonderful post! I think the screen effect makes those photos look like art and in fact all the photos are works of art today and I think my favorite is the crow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, it was a beautiful day and the lighting was perfect, plus no humidity :)

      Delete
  9. Young blue jays are pretty homely looking compared to the handsome adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, I smile at all the birds but the Blue Jays are such feisty little things making their calls :)

      Delete
  10. I love what your camera manages to capture. Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Laurie, we often say we see more birds in our back yard than we do when we go to the gardens :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Margaret, just wanted to let you know I tried to visit your blog but it said your profile is not available. Not sure if this is something to do with the new blogger settings, or if it is a temporary glitch. I will try again later :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos of these birds, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've ever seen such a young blue jay, Denise. He's darling! Our daughter lives in New England and she can't have a bird feeder because of bears. I know the birds bring you joy so hopefully the bear will move on from your area. Lovely photos and nice effects through the screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I will be waiting for a while as there are other smaller wild animals in the area now that like the bird seed :) All bring me joy but I have to be wary for the sake of my neighbors and their pets :)

      Delete
  15. Hello Dennise!
    Beautiful animals and flowers. Good pictures. Congratulations!
    Good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cuco, thank you very much and I wish you a good weekend also :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks Denise for showing all the bird visitors at your home. You captured wonderful photos to show. The flowers were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy and thank you :)

      Delete
  17. I love all your birds and flowers - wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are all beautiful birds, all are familiar to me!! i like the "special effects" on some of them, and i always like when the cardinals have their tops up!!! squirrels are never far from the action!!! beautiful flowers denise, i hope you are having a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, happy you enjoyed my post. We had a very nice weekend thank you. Hopefully it was the same for you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!