Thursday, June 18, 2020

PHOTOS COURTESY OF...

our son and daughter-in-law.  They have several trails to choose from near their home, and on their latest we were sent these.  A new walk for them and an added bonus was that they found these uplifting signs along the way.

 How kind of someone to do this for their neighbors.





 



They know we enjoy flowers so we also got these.  
"Scarlet beebalm, a species of Beebalms.  Also known as Bergamot, Oswego tea, Crimson beebalm and Scarlet monarda.  Botanical name is Monarda didyma.

Scarlet beebalm is a flowering herb native to the United States.  It attracts hummingbirds and is cultivated as an ornamental plant and grows best in full sunlight."

Name story:

Scarlet beebalm: the common name beebalm refers to the use of a resin which is derived from its utility for healing and pain-relieving, especially from bee stings.  Besides that, most of the flowers are scarlet red-colored, so it is often called scarlet beebalm.

Scarlet beebalm always gives a cool and refreshing feeling.  Its fragrance is calming and soothing, and its flowers are also very beautiful.  At the turn of summer and autumn, its flowers attract a hummingbird's attention for food.

Symbolism: person of virtue.


Lance-leaved coreopsis, which is a species of Tickseed.

On my plant app they give a lot of interesting information.  I am repeating what I have read there.   

Description: Lance-leaved coreopsis is a plant native to the United States related to the sunflower.  Lance-leaved coreopsis is cultivated in urban areas and attracts pollinators like bees.

Name story:

The flowers and leaves are very attractive and the yellow petals are featured with notches which gave the flowers a papery texture.  The flower stalk grows from a clumped basal rosette of lance-shaped leaves.  The genus name, Coereopsis is derived from the Greek word koris, meaning 'bug' and opsis meaning 'view'.  The name tickseed, especially the 'tick' part is referring to 'the insect'.  So, it is called Lanceleaf tickseed."  

Symbolism: always cheerful.


I have a plant app called Picture This - Plant Identifier, which I downloaded on my iPhone and iPad.  Whenever I am out and see a flower, plant or tree that I am unfamiliar with, or need a refresher on its name, I will take a photo with the app and the identity comes immediately. Very rarely do I feel I have to question what I have been told.  When I get home I search the name on line just to confirm.  It gave all the information above and lots more.  I remember having to pay for it, and I can't remember how much it was exactly.  You can look at it here if interested.




43 comments:

  1. This app is very cool, I may have to get it! What cute and uplifting signs along the trail! I love how your signature picture always relates to your subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I loved the uplifting signs also, and get enjoyment out of making my signatures to match, when I can find the graphic.

      Delete
  2. Love those signs. And seriously need an app like that. Thank you - I will try and hunt one down which works here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC :) I love my plant app and I'm sure you will find a similar one where you are.

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful red flower and I do love all the flowers that come under the tickseed I have a few of them in my Wildflower seed that I planted a few months ago. But not that color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra :) I have been thinking of getting some wildflower seeds to scatter in part of our yard.

      Delete
  4. Miło jest gdy sasiedzi się wspierają , dobre słowa to miód na serce. Piekne kwiaty i interesujące informacje. Miłego dnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bardzo podobały mi się twoje słodkie i szczere komentarze. Dziękuję i życzę również miłego dnia :)

      Delete
  5. Those signs are pretty amazing! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I like all the positive signs and messages. The flowers are lovely.
    I have always loved the Bee Balm. I would like that app! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they? Thank you Eileen, have a great day also :)

      Delete
  7. Love those signs makes a walk more interesting. Lovely photos. Stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, thanks Diane and you stay safe also :)

      Delete
  8. The flowers are beautiful and vibrant. How thoughtful for the people to leave those signs, they would brighten up anyone's day.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of people who pass on these kindnesses. I really appreciate them, including my son and daughter-in-law for sending me these photos. They really made my day :) Thanks Margaret, take care also.

      Delete
  9. Very informative. I've never heard of bee balm. Now I will have to check if we have bee balm here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red, I would be interested if you have it up in your neck of the woods :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice of your son and daughter-in-law to send you photos of their walk. Love the signs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gigi, yes it was very sweet of them. Glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  11. I love the signs on the trail. There are still lots of nice people around. I love your app. I use something similar called iNaturalist and so now I can find out what stuff is right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yogi, there certainly are :) I like the idea of looking at other apps also, so thank you for telling me about Naturalist.

      Delete
  12. have a great day. Love from Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gosia, and sending love from here too :)

      Delete
  13. I love the signs....I need to make an effort to take some pics of little benches that have been set around town. Each with an uplifting message.

    I love the Scarlet Beebalm...I have never seen it in real life and did not know it existed till I started seeing it on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, they are wonderful aren't they?:) Would love to see your benches when you get a chance. I have noticed beebalm in several of the gardens I have been to. Always been fascinated with it.

      Delete
  14. What a lovely walk your family shared with you, Denise! The signs are so uplifting and so kind. The flower back stories are quite interesting. Love the idea of this app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Martha Ellen :) I agree, so very kind. Glad you enjoyed and the flowers and the app also.

      Delete
  15. I think I need that app! The bee balm plant is very interesting ...I don’t Think I’ve ever seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it Sallie :) The bee balm is a very interesting plant I discovered in one of our favorite parks a few years back. I see it blooming every year now.

      Delete
  16. I do like those signs …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice flowers! Maybe I should try that app.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was very nice for your son and DIL to send you these positive signs from their walk and also the lovely flower pics. Thanks for all the information as well, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Dorothy, I am happy you enjoyed their photos and the info :)

      Delete
  19. I love those posted signs. They must give every walker a lift to their spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great aren't they Kay? :) I am sure they do, as they did when I saw these photos :)

      Delete
  20. Lovely flower pictures, and those signs are great. What a lovely idea whoever made them had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them, I thought it was a fabulous idea too. Thanks GGG :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!