Thursday, August 8, 2024

THE GRAY CATBIRD

 A few weeks ago, I was enjoying a Gray Catbird visiting the feeder. It was the only one enjoying the seed and came back several days in a row. Smaller and slimmer than an American robin, they measure 8 to 9 inches (20 to 23 centimeters) long.


"It is a medium-sized songbird and is commonly found across the eastern United states and the Midwest. A frequent visitor to backyards, catbirds are often heard before they are seen”, so I was very happy it decided to show itself so that I could take some relatively decent photos of it. I read “they are feisty about defending their territory, or even the occasional bird feeder, from intruders.” I saw none of this in the short time I had it in my sights, there were no other birds around at the time. Perhaps they were staying well away? Who knows!

Here are a few more facts about them: "Gray Catbirds belong to the family Mimidae, an assortment of songbirds known for their mimicry, including mockingbirds, thrashers and tremblers. Like other mimids, Gray Catbirds exhibit impressive vocal prowess, with males able to rattle off an array of phrases featuring chirps, squeaks, whistles, whines and even gurgles. When singing, performances can last more than 10 minutes and incorporate songs from other birds species, tree frog calls and even manmade and mechanical sounds."


"From March to late April, Gray Catbirds begin migrating from Mexico, Central America and the southern United States to their northern U.S. breeding grounds and up into Canada. Summer migrants start returning south in late August”.(perhaps that is what this one was doing?) “While most birds are migratory, year-round catbird populations can be found along the Atlantic seaboard from southern Massachusetts to northern Florida and over to the Gulf States."


"Catbirds are omnivores but they especially love fruit, often targeting commercial crops of blackberries, cherries, grapes and strawberries. Their habit of pecking more fruit than they eat, however, can make them unpopular with gardeners. In spring and summer, orange halves and jelly are a good way to attract catbirds - and maybe an oriole - to your yard or balcony. Of course, you can also plant native plants like elderberry and serviceberry."


"Catbirds' bodies are a uniform soft gray, with black caps and rust-red feathers under their relatively long tails. They often perch with a lowered tail and appear hunchbacked."


There is a YouTube at this link where you can hear its bird calls. And that's about all I have about my little visitor. It's all quiet out in the garden, and will be until I start filling up the bird feeders in the Fall. 

Thanks for stopping by 
and I hope your week is going great.





50 comments:

  1. You got great photos of him. We have them around here, but they are so secretive that I only rarely see one. But I hear them! They usually make the sound like a cat meowing. I love it whenever I spot one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy with the photos, thank you Ginny :) They hadn't been around to spot in a while. I would love to hear one. I'll have to go out there sometime to see if I can identify one.

      Delete
  2. It’s wonderful that you got to observe and photograph a Gray Catbird! They’re such interesting birds with their mimicry and distinctive calls. It sounds like you had a rare and pleasant opportunity to see one up close.

    I just posted a new blog post at www.melodyjacob.com, I invite you to read and let me know what you think about it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody Jacob, thank you so much! I shall enjoy popping over soon. I seem to be running late catching up again :)

      Delete
  3. Your photos of this one are great. I've never seen a catbird other than in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being delighted the first time I saw one. I'm not sure what their range is. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. We see them frequently but we have never had one visit our feeders. It is a very handsome bird and an accomplished mimic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear catbirds sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and although I have seen him, I haven't actually heard him yet. Soon I hope! Thanks roentare :)

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful and with nice voices!
    You captured them amazingly and gave us the information about them too!
    As if he is next to us!
    Thanks Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed my post on the catbird Katerina :) Thank you very much!

      Delete
  7. Handsome looking bird, Denise. Good to read about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were lucky to capture these beautiful photos for your blog. There are no catbirds in Hawaii, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like it is a gift Gigi, thank you :)

      Delete
  9. We are super funny when they're going through there song list. I have found myself giggling while listening. I don't think I've ever seen one though I hear them in the tree but don't see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy they gave you a giggle Sandra :) Maybe one will pop down for you one day soon.

      Delete
  10. What a pretty little bird. It was interesting to read about it and listen to its calls. I didn't know anything about mimids, so thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Janice and thank you :) I agree, so pretty and I love that little black cap on its head :)

      Delete
  11. We used to see catbirds at our feeders in VA and your photo captures reminded me of this handsome looking bird, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post, Denise!
    I enjoyed learning about the Gray Catbird and its mimicry skills.
    I look forward to hearing about your next bird visitor when you refill the feeders this fall.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello veronica Lee :) Thank you so much! I am missing the birds, that will be a happy day when they return.

      Delete
  13. You got some great photos of the catbird. I have seen them, but it was very seldom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photos of this bird and information, too. Hope you have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, we have catbirds here. They are very hard to see but easy to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I'm beginning to realize I was very lucky to see this one :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Denise from very rainy Raleigh and more to come
    The first time I heard a cat bird....and realized it was a bird blew my mind
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are amazing mimics aren't they? Thank you Cecelia, sending hugs :) On Sunday the 11th, no rain!

      Delete
  17. Great Catbird photos Denise. They are one of my favorite yard birds.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, that's lovely! Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  18. Wonderful photos of the Catbird, Denise. I don't see this bird at all here in California. It was interesting to read a little about them.

    Wishing you pleasant August days, my friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello My Friend :) Thank you so much and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  19. What an elegant (and talented) little bird. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, and you are very welcome. Thank you Sue :)

      Delete
  20. This was an interesting post about this catbird. I have not seen it around where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nas, thank you, I am glad you found it interesting :)

      Delete
  21. Uy que lindo pajarito. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, me alegro mucho que te haya gustado este pajarito :) Te mando un beso.

      Delete
  22. It's an awfully pretty little bird. I knew nothing about them so it was fun to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jeanie, I was very happy when the yturned up in our garden, and so glad you enjoyed. Thank you :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!