Thursday, August 1, 2024

NEABSCO CREEK BOARDWALK - FIVE YEARS SINCE OUR LAST VISIT - PART 3

I found this post I had been working on, and forgotten until now. The last few photos from Neabsco a few weeks ago, and of a town we drive through on the way home. I have links and if you would like to know more, you can click on their names.









That's all for the plants from that day. The others I took on our way home.


We drove through the town of Clifton. There are historical signs outside of many of the homes. The place was quite crowded as there had been a race that day and everyone was finishing up. Cars were parked all up and down the main road. I took a couple of photos of what I could between cars. The photo above is of the Wright House, built in 1941 by a gangster(?) Gangster’s name was not mentioned on the sign and I got my information from this website. Local craftsmen used stone mined from a quarry near Robey's Farm on Chapel road. the house featured the first full indoor bathroom in town.  

I remember one of the homes had a connection to The Titanic. I mentioned it in a Halloween post here. It will show you the picture of their house with information.  It said: "Huckbill 1902 - built by H. Longley.  Oscar Woody, who was a member of the railroad and sea postal services, bought the house in 1910. He was on duty on board the Titanic when she went down on his 41st birthday. He was buried at sea on April 24th, 1912."  His is quite a story and you can read it at this link.

You can see my other posts on Clifton as we have driven through it and visited many times. It is a fun place to take visitors too. You can click here to weave through them. I took photos of the historical markers in front of several homes.

Thanks for looking, and 
enjoy your day.











34 comments:

  1. Wow! You have filled our imaginations with nature and great stories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are verywelcome, thank you Cloudia, I appreciate that :)

      Delete
  2. This is a really nice house. I am most interested in the elderberry. You hear about elderberry wine and such, and I have never seen one. It looks weedy! Did you know there is a song called Elderberry Wine? It is by Elton John, and not a bad song either! I was going to copy the words and show you, but there are too many verses. But you can Google "Elderberry wine by Elton John lyrics".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember Elton John's song and didn't remember about making wine out of elderberry until you mentioned it. I will look up the song soon, thanks for mentioning it. I was very interested in David's comment too. I only ever saw it as an interesting plant, and this is why I love blogging. I learn something new every day. Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  3. Clifton looks beautiful - and I always appreciate photos of greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed.
    Visited the links and read - wow on the Halloween photos.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all that green. That house looks really nice. That must have been pretty impressive in it's day being the first house with a full inside bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green in nature is gorgeous isn't it? I'm sure when they were first built they must have felt like palaces, especially with that inside bathroom. Thanks Ann :)

      Delete
  6. For years we collected elderberry flowers, dipped them in batter, deep fried them and smothered them in maple syrup. Probably a good thing we don’t do it any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very, very interesting David. Thanks for letting me know :)

      Delete
  7. I just read the information on Clifton - it sounds charming and a peaceful retreat from modern life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Janice, I have been there many times and it gets very busy at times, compared to what must have been a quiet retreat back in the day :)

      Delete
  8. I am loving the looks of that stone house, minus the gangster of course. ha ha. your photos take me back to the wild berries we used to pick in Kentucky.. beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra :) If I could build a house it would be with stone just like that one, I love it! I wonder who the gangster was but there is no mention that I could find.

      Delete
  9. I love that house and the story!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Donna, lots of interesting history there :) sending hugs!

      Delete
  10. We often drive through and by places with great historical stories . You've been good at digging out the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been to and through this town many times during the 35 plus years we have lived here. It's a great place to take family and friends, and I have enjoyed learning a lot of its history. Thanks Red :)

      Delete
  11. A great place to visit and the drive through history looked great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, and I thoroughly enjoy its history. Thanks Ellen :)

      Delete
  12. We have never visited Clifton, Denise. Your photos and information look intriguing. We must do that when the weather cools down. Hope you two are feeling better today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary Ellen, I think you would enjoy it but by all means, wait until it gets cooler my friend :) It is now 8-6-24 and we are feeling much better, thank you so much!

      Delete
  13. I've often wondered what elderberries look like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindo jardín. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like an interesting place. I'd love to give Clifton a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, these old towns certainly have a lot of charm, and lovely little shops and restaurants to enjoy :)

      Delete
  16. I used to drive through Clifton fairly often. It’s a charming little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful and I agree, it certainly is a charming little town :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!