Monday, August 19, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - FINELY CHOPPED, GREEK-INSPIRED CHICKEN SALAD - 4 servings

I have been looking for a salad recipe that is a little different from our usual throw-together veggie salad. I also wanted the protein included. When I came across this one it was just what I was looking for. I found it at The Natural Nurturer hosted by Taesha Butler, and the original recipe can be found at this link. I try to remember to do this each week, and recommend you visit Taesha’s recipe. Her photos are great, there is good advice, many tips and also other great recipes to try in the future.


Finely Chopped Greek-Inspired Chicken Salad

Servings: 4

Calories per serving: approximately 331


For the salad: 

1 romaine heart

½ English cucumber

2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes

1 small bell pepper, any color you like

½ small red onion, or 4 scallions

½ cup pitted kalamata olives, or mixed Greek olives

1 cup feta cheese , about 6 ounces

1 large cooked chicken breast, about ½ pound

½ cup fresh herbs of choice , such as mint, parsley, dill and/or basil..whatever you have on hand. These are optional but they add a nice fresh flavor to the salad (our choice was dill)


For the Dressing:

4 teaspoons red wine vinegar

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

½ teaspoon garlic powder, or one small clove of fresh garlic, grated

½ teaspoon dried oregano

½ teaspoon kosher salt

ground black pepper, to taste

1 medium lemon, juiced (we added this ourselves as wanted a little bit of extra zip)


Pita Bread 


Prepare and measure all ingredients.  

Dice vegetables and put into a large bowl. 

Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Set aside. Just before serving pour over salad and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed. 

At this point we felt it needed extra zip. The juice of 1 lemon was added. If you do the same you may prefer to use less, so best to add a little at a time and taste test. And then again you might prefer leaving it out and like the dressing as is.

(Also, since we have tried it again, we found we enjoyed it with no dressing at all.)

We didn’t add any of the salt asked for.


Taesha's notes: To make this salad vegetarian, you can simply leave out the chicken and add 2 cups of cooked chickpeas instead. (I personally think it would be great just with the main ingredients minus the chicken.)

To make this salad dairy-free, omit the feta cheese.

The salad is very nice eaten in a pita bread or rolled into a tortilla wrap (we used a pita bread half and that was excellent but this salad can stand alone.)


Did we change anything? 

A very tasty recipe and we went to the supermarket just before we made it. The ingredients were either bought that day or were already in the pantry/fridge. 

The only change was the addition of lemon juice for the dressing mentioned above.

There is quite a lot of preparation work, and the vegetables are cut into small dice. I started early.

I made a poached chicken recipe which you can find at this link. You could also use an already cooked rotisserie chicken, which would speed things up a little.

My thyme for the chicken recipe had leaves that were larger than usual. I couldn’t pass an opportunity for photos. The leaves were a pretty burgundy color on the back. 




As we had leftovers, we added only enough dressing to the first two portions and put the rest in the fridge, storing separately. Taesha had said to only add the dressing right before serving. Perhaps the ingredients get soggy if they are mixed too soon.

I would probably cut back on the olive oil and not add as much. 

My next meal I left the dressing off and ate as is.  It was tasty enough to do that, but I have never been a fan of salad dressings.


For those who prefer to copy and paste rather than use the links at the beginning of this recipe.

https://thenaturalnurturer.com/finely-chopped-greek-inspired-chicken-salad/


I think that's all but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comment section.






40 comments:

  1. That sounds as if (minus the chicken and cucumber) I would really like it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue. This is a dish we can easily change around to suit our own taste :

      Delete
  2. I've never seen thyme looking like this. Now I wonder if there are different types of thyme. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Ginny, all it had on the packet was ‘thyme’. It was hard to see until I opened it up :)

      Delete
  3. Tasty recipe with lots of contrasting colours and textures - very nice.
    I shall have to look at the thyme in our garden, which is currently flowering profusely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! How lovely! Do you have any advice for growing thyme?

      Delete
  4. Sounds terrific. We are fond of Greek food and actually made a Greek salad last evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, your salad must have been too. We certainly enjoyed this one :)

      Delete
  5. It looks really good. I'm a bit of a lazy cook and have never used things like fresh thyme. All my herbs and spices come from a bottle...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, not a lazy cook at al :) It’s nice to have a selection of dried herbs at the ready. They are great to have when you have had a long day at work, or when we don’t want to fuss as much in the kitchen.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a really wonderful salad and great for the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great dish for the summer, thanks Angie :)

      Delete
  7. This would be great to serve to your friends for lunch! Looks so refreshing to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum and if I were making it for me, I would nix the onions and herbs, bob would keep the onions, no herbs, Which is about the only thing in this world we agree on. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the fun part of any dish, tailoring it to your own taste, and you always make me smile. Thank you my friend :)

      Delete
  9. Your sandwich looks yummy, I would like the chicken salad.
    Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen :) so glad. You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the encouragement to try new recipes at home. This looks so fresh and good. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Chicken Greek Salad looks great Denise. Feta cheese is one of our favorites to add to our salads. With these warm days still, this is one I need to make. Thanks for your tips as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Martha Ellen :) I am happy you like it. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Yummy you and Gregg should open a Healthy eating Cafe
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have our treats but we have been eating healthier these days. Thanks Cecilia :)

      Delete
  13. Love me some herbs. I also love apples and grapes added to salads and things like that that are fun. What is great about salads is there's no end to the combos and fun. Happy Eating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De nada y muchas gracias por comentar.
      ¡Te mando un beso!

      Delete
  15. This Greek chicken salad looks delicious, Denise. Not sure if you know, but I'm part Greek on my dad's side. : )

    Have a happy week.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful Sheri, I did not know that. Thank you for sharing and you have a happy week also :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Me too Ivy and this was definitely one of those :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!