Wednesday, August 14, 2024

THE STORY OF THE SPRAINED KNEE

All my step pictures are with thanks to Pixabay, to try to add a little humor to the story. Probably doesn't work but I am always trying to lighten things up.

On my birthday I gave myself a lovely gift. That gift was on July 8th and it was a sprained knee. It is definitely an eye-roller up to the ceiling moment, and a sort of funny story that goes along with. I couldn't smile at first, but I am inwardly smiling now all these weeks later, sort of.

Today's post is to answer those who have been asking how did I do it? It was all to do with renewing my military spouse ID. An appointment was made and the only time available was on my birthday. I didn’t want to delay it any longer. There are a couple of bases we can go to get it done. We decided on the nearest Marine Corps one.  

Security at the gate told us where we needed to go. We ended up parking on a multi-story parking lot next to the building. It was only a small parking area compared to other places we have been to. The first two floors were reserved spaces for active military, third floor was for visitors. It only had three levels but there was no elevator. No problem I told Gregg, I can handle going down those steps. Gregg always looks a bit concerned, stairs and I have had many issues in the past. I repeated, with emphasis, “No problem, honestly!” I got down those steps okay and was feeling proud of myself that nothing untoward happened.

We were at the side of the building and popped our heads through a door, but there was no one around to ask. Gregg said to me, you wait here, and I’ll come back for you when I find the place. Okay I said, but after ten minutes the heat was getting to me even in the shady spot and no bench in sight. (We were having a heatwave and were being warned constantly on the news.) I was starting to feel a bit worse for wear. More time went by when a young marine walked past me and before he disappeared, I got the hook out, figuratively speaking. I asked him if he could tell me where the office was to renew ID’s.  He responded with a smile and said, “Yes ma’am, I am going there myself and I can show you.”  I happily said that would be lovely, thank you so much and off he went, with me following briskly behind, more briskly than I have been in a long time.

The building was on quite a steep hill, and at the side of it there were a hundred plus steps to climb - oh boy - which young marine took two steps at a time. ‘Oh boy’ became my mantra as I tried to keep up. At least it’s great exercise I thought. (Both father and son rolled their eyes to the ceiling when I told them this later. I got sort of a lecture from son about me trying to keep up with a marine. We all know how fit these guys are, me not so much, fit I mean.)

Young marine was waiting for me at the top and he said that we had to go through ‘this door’, which - oh boy - led to three more long flights of stairs inside the building, no exaggeration. He slowed down for me and finally, after me slowing the poor young man down while the old lady caught up, he deposited me at the door where I was to get my ID done. I thanked him and off he went through another door to get his own ID presumably.

So, there I was, sitting in the waiting room and chuckling at the thought of Gregg walking up the stairs to find that I was already there. I had sent him a text earlier which unfortunately he didn’t see. Yes, he was very surprised, and I beamed and giggled like a school girl getting there first, not that we are competitive or anything. (So, she who laughs first and all that right?) In my defense, not that I needed to defend but I felt a bit guilty, I didn't mean to disappear on him and I told him I had sent him a text, and just had to get inside out of the heat, and had no time to tell him about the young marine, bless his dear heart, and all those blessed steps, before we were called into the office.

We were both impressed at the efficiency and friendliness of the staff and were finished in less than 20 minutes. Loved their air-conditioning and the cool air was very welcome. I was told that because of my age (another young man - he needed training on how to talk to women as old as his grandma, but in all seriousness, he was very sweet), he continued that I would not need any more renewals, this was the last one for life.  At that point I could have said “Yippee!”, at the ID and "Yippee!" at the first ever decent ID photo I have ever had, because I have to stare at the thing to the bitter end and yes, I am smiling. It’s the lighting, it was really bright in that room, and I was very happy with the final ID photo. The others across the years have been pretty abysmal.

By this time I was feeling somewhat uncomfortable. 

We walked out the door and looked to our left and there was the blessed elevator!!! Yes, that sentence deserves three exclamation points. “Are you kidding me!” I said.  Gregg said “I wonder where that goes?” I told him again with emphasis that I didn’t care as long as it goes down, and my inner tortoise and hare mentality kicked in. The hare was through the elevator door first, by this time not hopping but limping a little.

When the elevator reached ground level, we only had to walk down a short corridor and surprise, surprise, exited out the door we had tried when we first arrived. There were rude words in my head, but I was proud of myself for not speaking them out loud.

It was still sweltering. Gregg found a bench for me around the corner and in a shady spot, deposited me there while he fetched the car, and I promised him I wouldn't move an inch. Thankfully by this time there was a slight breeze. 

On the way home Gregg asked me how was I feeling? I told him, “Well, my knee is a bit sore.” By the next morning it was pitching a fit. 

The doctor’s appointment was made after almost a week of supporting myself by walking around the house leaning on every piece of furniture, and it wasn’t getting any better as I had hoped. It was x-rayed and I have been told there is arthritis also. I have to go back in three months, sooner if it gets worse, and no climbing steps, no kidding! I was given a prescription for a topical ointment which has the same effect as my go-to pain medication, but without the problematic side effects. And no walking around our favorite spots for a while, and as I say yet again, most definitely no steps. 

So, there you go, I hope that answers a few questions. 

Thanks for sticking with the story through to the end. It is a bit of a long one.

Have a great day everyone, and for any Marine Corps friends out there, Semper Fi!





43 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it pained me to read about this horrible trip. And the Marine, could he not see your age, and could he not tell you about the elevator and give directions???? I am just plain mad at him!! But back to you, the ointment is helping the pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern Ginny :) I have no complaints regarding the Marine, he was a real sweet young man. I had a tongue in my head, I could have said something but I can be stubborn and it looked like great exercise. I got the feeling he was running late for his own appointment, and we were on the other side of the building at this point, far away from the elevator. This was probably the best option. The ointment helps but I have to apply every four hours and it does wear off some. It's real icy cold when it is applied.

      Delete
  2. I know I shouldn't have laughed, but couldn't help because of the humorous way you described the following the marine and the pictures of all those steps. Get well soon, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laugh away Angie, it was my aim to spread a little humor. It was my own comedy of errors. Thank you for the good wishes :)

      Delete
  3. We do need to care for ourselves these days ❤️ feel better 🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, do we ever :) there are still things I feel I can do and it comes as a bit of a shock when I realize those days are behind me. But, onward and upward, except for stairs, lol! Thank you my friend!

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, that was a long way so it seems and all those steps you mentioned, it's no wonder you hurt you knee..
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, doing my best and I will be taking it easy for quite a while :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my that is some story. To see that elevator when you did added insult to injury. At least you can laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, there are times when you just have to smile, and laugh :)

      Delete
  6. I also like to make a little humor of things that are harmful, but not until after the harm is over. hindsight is 20/20. this is a funny horror story and I am so sorry you suffered so long with something the elevator could have helped with... thanks for the smiles and info on how you hurt your knee. hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I are very alike in that area Sandra :) Hindsight definitely is, and I learned a good lesson too. It just all happened so quickly, I didn't really have much time to think about it and I was so eager to get out of the heat. That young marine saved my bacon.

      Delete
  7. You need specific ID as a military wife?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Military ID's are given to wives upon marriage David. Many times we need acess to get onto the base and you need them for that. Often housing is actually on a base, and there are other benefits too of course. I am curious if they have them up in Canada?

      Delete
  8. Oh, Denise, what a story, though I did smile at your telling of it. Don't they say that laughter is the best medicine? I would never have managed so many flights of stairs, not all on the same day!! No wonder your knee complained.
    Surely the young Marine knew about the elevator? Perhaps he thought you had chosen to walk as a form of exercise. Who knows?
    Anyway, I do hope you're feeling more comfortable now and the pain is decreasing. Will you be having some physiotherapy at some point? Take care and rest, rest, rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true Janice, laughter is the best medicine, and I do like to share that. The elevator was on the other side of the building at that point. This young marine went out of his way to help me, for that I will always be grateful to that young man. Physiotherapy was mentioned and perhaps surgery if it doesn't improve. Hoping with rest that it won't go that far. I have had many sprains in my lifetime starting when I was 13 years of age. They just take a long time to heal.

      Delete
  9. Thank goodness for that young Marine helping you out!
    Feel better soon dear lady!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, and it was better to get on the move and out of the heat. Thank you so much Donna, sending hugs :)

      Delete
  10. Hello Denise,
    Sorry about your sprained knee, it is good you can laugh about it later. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I saw the funny side almost immediately :) I truly believe it is good to laugh at oneself. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  11. Goodness gracious Denise, what a tale of the sprained knee! Doing all of that in horrible heat must have been dreadful, my friend. And all on your birthday to boot! Thank goodness for that young Marine who came to your aid. Please heed the advice of taking care as one (me) who should know better as well dear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend, good advice :) yes indeed, I was very happy he turned up as it had been very quiet up to that point.

      Delete
  12. Thanks Linda, very true :) Interesting about the ointment. I will look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After reading this, Denise, I wasn't sure about which would have been the better to endure - the heat or walking up all those stairs? Of course, in hindsight, maybe the heat? I do not do well with walking up stairs, but down them has never been an issue. Elevators and escalators are always my preferred method, when available. Hope the taking it easy and the ointment help ease your knee pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure, both were pretty bad that day on reflection. We had no idea about the layout of this building, our first time there. I don't think there will be any need to go there again but who knows? It seemed old, could be wrong. I don't do well on stairs walking up or down. Like you I will head for the elevator. Thank you my friend, I am not able to do much write now but I'm thankful I can at least get on here and chat to you all :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thank you for the sympathy Christine, much appreciated :)

      Delete
  15. Great story. Do what they tell you or it takes longer to recover. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Denise, what a tale of the sprained knee. I'm chuckling about the picture in my mind of you trying to keep up with that young Marine. Young people...they will be our age in the by and by and finally have some empathy. :) Hope all goes well with the healing of your knee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that Ellen and thank you :) I was so grateful to that young Marine. I don't think I could have stayed there for much longer and dear Gregg was having a hard time traipsing around the building trying to find the place we needed. I'm glad it all worked out, sore knee or no sore knee. Definitely could be described as a comedy of error of sorts :)

      Delete
  17. Terrible experience! What burns me up is that there was an elevator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could have cried when I saw that elevator :*0

      Delete
  18. Oh my what a story!! Reminds me that I don't need to do too many stairs, that I certainly cannot keep up like I once could! and, for sure and for certain, if I ever were in need of a military ID I am sure it would be one and done. Another one not needed "at my age"!! Oh boy. I really hope your knee forgives you and you will be walking the trails again soon. Ah - and the elevator was "right there"!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth Jennifer :) Thank you, my knee is still 'talking' to me but I'm sure I am getting there. Yes, that elevator ;) My eyes still roll to the ceiling when I think about it.

      Delete
  19. Aw, I'm so sorry. That was a trial for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uy pobrecita es un dolor y más no poder caminar bien y tratar de descansar al rodilla. A mi me paso hace mese a sí que te entiendo. Cuida tu rodilla. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias por tu amable comentario. Lamento mucho que hayas tenido lo mismo. Deseo que ninguno de nosotros tenga más esguinces. Te mando un beso.

      Delete
  21. Oh my goodness! I would not have tried those steps because two flights are my limit these days. I’m glad that at least the elevator was available for going down.

    Take it easy. I’m sorry about the arthritis.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Denise! I feel your pain...I honestly do. I pray you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!