Friday, August 2, 2024

RANDOM PHOTO AND A QUOTE AND A RAMBLE

 


“Swim your own path”
 ~Author Unknown ~



One from my archives, the stone fish was part of a fountain taken in a village when we were on vacation in 2015. We were in the UK not too far from the village where I lived when I met Gregg. 

And here goes a 'bit' of a ramble, some of which I may be repeating so apologies in advance. 

For ten years I was a total village girl, driving my old rusty bucket of a grey mini along the country lanes, which were barely wide enough to get one car down, and yes, it was two-way traffic. If you came across an oncoming car, you invariably had to back up several feet, sometimes several yards, to the nearest farmer's gate, edge in somehow as tightly as you could, and allow the car to pass. Sometimes and this is no exaggeration, there was perhaps only two inches between you and the other car, if that. A friendly wave and a ‘thank you love’ would follow. 

An added note since I started this post, is that you had to be very careful of those 'hedgerows', as there were very often old stone walls underneath them totally obscured. Many a car driven by people who don't know the countryside, have had some nasty scrapes and scratches on their vehicles because of them. 

Anyhow, I found myself backing up maybe a couple of times on each journey, so I got quite good at it. I never waited for the other car, just did it automatically, as my Dad had showed me to do. He was always the reverser and when he was teaching me how to drive, figured it was good practice for me. 

I loved village life, it fit me like an old glove. There was a village pub where my sister and I would occasionally go with our parents. Children usually sat in the garden weather permitting, where there were tables and chairs and play areas. If it was rainy then you didn't go. As I got older I would join my friends and we would have a good old natter and enjoy a shandy or a pop. 

My memories of this pub, built right next to the village church. (The first brick on the old church was placed in Circa1400 when the west tower was built, the remainder in Circa 1450, its chapel Circa 1520. The Chancel was restored in 1874.) As for the pub, there was an old fireplace with a roaring fire crackling in the wintertime, the farmer drinking his pint and his two sheep dogs lying in front of the fireplace, sometimes a tail getting too close and farmer’s foot gently moving tail and occasionally putting out embers on singed fur with said foot. They were a regular sight, as were all the other locals and my Dad knew many of them. It was his regular pub.

The place had those old, low-beamed ceilings I like, and white-washed walls with horizontal black beams crossing the vertical ones, holding them all together. I was always told that the pub was built before the village church, as it was customary to have an establishment where the workers could come and have refreshment and food after a hard day's work, not always the case I suppose. Here you can see the history of their beginnings, and also a few old pubs at this link.

I worked in the nearby town of Torquay at the local government's solicitors (lawyers) offices, and then moved up the road for a higher paycheck working for a child psychiatrist for a few years, and then for yet another higher paycheck having heard from a friend that I should apply for her job as she was leaving, and I worked in the local hospital administration offices. 

When I was 15 my Dad had retired from the police and that's how we ended up in Devon. We had been vacationing there since I was 8 years old, twice a year.  Moving to Devon was like going back home.  We loved being not too far from the seaside and didn't mind the extra dampness in the air.

About six months after we had moved, Dad was contacted by an old friend who lived in the town we had just moved from. This solicitor (lawyer) friend of my Dad, was on his way to Torquay and knew Dad wasn’t too far away. There were a lot of 'retirees' but very few fully retired. The friend was going to set up his own practice and asked Dad to join him. His career in law enforcement had given him connections even in this area, and further afield. In their beginnings they needed extra help as there was only one young girl who did their typing, and the practice became very busy.  

One evening when I was almost 18, Dad asked me if I would like to earn some extra pocket money.  This would involve typing up notes which were hand-written on sheets of lined paper clipped together. They were done by people who were getting divorced, and ladies were their main clientele. 

Dad and I had a long talk and he warned me beforehand that what I would be typing could on occasion be horrendous, did I still want to take the job on? There were often hospital reports regarding spousal abuse. I could try it for a while and quit if I felt it was too much. I said yes because I again was looking for that extra pocket money. My friends and I were saving up for a skiing holiday in Austria for the following wintertime, definitely an incentive and at first, little thought of what I was typing. My brain was able to compartmentalize, and my fingers flew.

However, many of these stories were very, very sad and quite horrid and they did begin to affect me. I empathized continuously, and I grew up! I typed steadily for almost five years, working in the day and then coming home and working in the evenings for two or three hours, often on the weekends. I would give myself some time off to have an evening out with my friends. I never spoke of the work as it was obviously confidential.  After this had gone on for over two years, I remember saying to Mum that I was never, ever, ever going to get married. I became very, very wary and overly cautious but I knew a lot about life, thanks to my Dad's offer of extra work. Gregg said years later maybe your Dad was trying to prepare you for life. He did, that's for sure, except that I was already overly cautious and skeptical, and now extra suspicious. I kept telling those who asked, as most of my friends were either engaged or married by that time, that I was quite happy being a spinster for the rest of my life, and that was the truth. Yes, we still used the word spinster in those days, even as young as I was. And that's when I met Gregg and off to America I went! I surprised some to say the least.

Moving to Washington DC was a bit of a shock, my head was spinning for a long time. I will never forget that first trip from the airport at night, on a busy multi-laned freeway, the flashing lights from a never ending line of headlights, from cars that seemed to me to be as big as tanks. And here I am all these years later, having moved when Gregg was in the navy, many times, but now back within a stone's throw of Washington DC again. Forks in the road right?

I didn't expect this post to turn into such a ramble, but my brain is rambling more and more these days. (Maybe it's this darned cough and cold. Gregg and I have been stuck in the house for a while. Between hacking coughs and sniffles, throwing bed clothes off because we are too hot, then bringing a blanket out of winter storage because of waking up too darned cold, we are now starting to feel a tad better. We have also started talking about the old days.) 

I started this blog originally for our son, and it is still for him, but I am glad to share it with my blogging friends now, so thank you if you have stuck with me this far. 

 I came from a family who were ‘all-about-life’ story tellers. It was their entertainment, the old stories. Not only them but get-togethers where family and friends who came over for a pot of tea and nibbles, and the conversation invariably rolled around where almost to the person, they told their own life stories. And then there were the sing-songs when Dad would get on the piano. This was long before all this amazing technology that we have now, and was very much part of my growing up years. 

I still remember many of the tales from Mum and Dad when they were young, and even their friends, not all were rosy. There was, however, one dear lady, Mrs. Bissell, who was my honorary ‘aunty’. She loved us and we loved her. She had just returned from visiting her brother. She hadn’t seen him in ten years. He had emigrated to Australia and lived in the outback. I was enthralled with tales of kangaroos and cockatoos, and other brightly colored birds and flowers, and all the many splendid sights she saw.  

So, I put these things down to give our son an idea of what his parents have done in their lives. Even the most mundane things from my own parents, are treasured memories now, and I know Gregg feels the same way about his. I'm thinking son will feel the same about these one day.

If you would like to share snippets of yours, I would love to read them. Obviously no pressure and I certainly don’t expect it unless you want to.

Ramble over with!

Thanks for visiting and I hope 
your day is a great one.



42 comments:

  1. Your time spent growing up sounds really like a wonderful movie of the English countryside, so ideal. It really does remind me of the show and book "All Creatures Great And Small" about the country life of the vet James Herriot. And since you did live so sheltered, I think your dad was right to suggest such a job, to help you kind of vicariously experience the real world out there. And now I am thinking that Gregg must have been an absolute Superman to have been able to catch you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is another thing that Gregg and I talk about. We both loved watching All Creatures because it reminded me so much of home and reminded him of his time there. Dad taught us a lot of skills without us even realizing it at the time. He took care of his girls :) Mum too obviously but in a different way. Dad’s was more world-wise. And as for Gregg, little did he know! Dad was a great judge of character, had excellent instincts about people and liked him immediately. He was rarely wrong about people. When I first met Gregg I saw kindness and strength. To me he was Superman, lol!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us ❤️ 'Even the most mundane things from my own parents, are treasured memories now, and I know Gregg feels the same way about his.'

    Yes, we are wise at last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cloudia, and I love that, We are wise at last.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate that you are sharing your life with us, Denise. Sounds like that you had a happy childhood. Wish I could say mine was just good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, it wasn’t all rosy. Being the daughter of a police officer had its challenges, bullying at school being one of them. But from my time in Devon and onwards, that’s when I felt like I was home and was super happy there :) l am so sorry about your own childhood. I wish I could wave a magic wand for you my friend.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing snippets of your life with us. I am very, very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Sue :) such a kind thing to say and very much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful place to grow up. The job of typing did provide a bit of a look into real life as well. It's not all sunshine and roses. My parents were divorced when I was around 10 years old. I'm pretty sure my mother made sure to tell me all the gory details of why she left my dad. However, I have to say that I think she over exaggerated some because my dad was an amazing man. He certainly was a much better parent than she was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a terrible time for you Ann. I am so sorry you had to go through that, and I realize there are always two sides to the story. It’s heartwarming that you think so highly of your Dad.

      Delete
  6. Lovely memories there Denise. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, happy you enjoyed. You take care too :)

      Delete
  7. I can also tell from your writing Denise that you are a real life connoisseur!!
    I don't have a breakup story to share, but sometimes people are so rigid that in order not to hurt the children they have to break up, unfortunately!
    I am sure that you are a very worthy person and that you take it upon yourself to succeed!
    Have a good August🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of it that way Katerina but thank you for the lovely compliment :) I realize that a divorce is sometimes the wisest thing to do, as heartbreaking as it is, for the sake of their children. And I don’t know whether I am worthy, but I try my best.

      Delete
  8. I am left with the feeling that the quietness of that village would be a welcome respite from the acidic atmosphere of life so close to DC. There surely must be times when you would move back in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably be right David. There have been a lot of protest in DC that make us think twice before going into the city. However, I also have good memories of our time there. It is a beautiful place and I love all the monuments and the Smithsonian and art galleries, the National Botanical Garden, all incredible. Always so much to see, though being a village girl at heart, heading to the mountains is always a first choice.

      Delete
  9. It's important to remember family history and record it. If only we could ask questions now of those long gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%, thank you Janice :) Indeed, if only!

      Delete
  10. it is good that you listened to your heart and ran away with a sailor. ha ha.. all those forks in the road led you right to DC. ov Vey! it all worked out for the good and we are talking about told memories too. nostalgia comes with aging I think. I can see the inside of the tavern when reading about it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ov Vey, lol! You’re right, it does :) I wish I could take you there Sandra.

      Delete
  11. Dear Denise
    Growing up in an English village sounds idyllic to me Thank you for sharing your memories Denise.I had a happy childhood too, but as I'm by nature a reserved kind of person and so is my family I find it difficult to reveal more of myself. I'm of the opinion that if someone wants me to know something, they will tell me. For this reason I don't ask questions, I wait to be told. My parents were the same, and now I wish I had asked them questions, for I know very little about our family tree. All I know is they were happy together and I knew I was loved. This is more than I have ever disclosed before.
    Get completely better .
    Until next time
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sonjia, you are very welcome and your childhood also sounds wonderful :) Thank you so much for sharing your story. So very much appreciated! The most important thing is to feel loved, especially as a child. I am a bit of an introvert but if I feel comfortable with someone, I will ask a question, not to someone I have just met of course, that would be too offensive. I guess I am a bit of a Nosy Parker, or as someone said to me when I was young, “You have always been such a curious child!” I think that was a compliment, maybe not! They could have been telling me I was a Nosy Parker, lol! Since childhood I have always loved to talk to those older than me, and I often find they are happy to do that. I have never asked anyone anything too personal, then I would have been a real Nosy Parker! Thanks again Sonjia, we are feeling better every day. It certainly was a doozy of a cold! I hope you are well also.

      Delete
  12. Denise what a fun and informative post about how grew from a village girl to a girl of the world. Jumping into DC was a huge leap.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecelia :) and you certainly hit the nail on the head :) sending hugs!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for sharing these bits of your life much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Christine and thank you :)

      Delete
  14. Dear Denise, how wonderful that you wrote down part of your life story for us. I hung on your words with great excitement and interest. It's like a little movie from old times... and it's beautiful.
    My heart really warmed because the most important thing is to have been loved. Thank you.
    Lots of love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Viola, I am very happy you enjoyed my rambles :) and thank you for your sweet comments. Lots of love to you and your loved ones also.

      Delete
  15. Well - that certainly was enjoyable. I so enjoyed hearing a bit of your story. Some of your past. And a bit more of how your road led you all the way across the pond. Me? I have been here in Northern Virginia all my life. (All of it!!) And I literally dream of life somehow taking me back across the proverbial pond and finding myself living in a small English village. That would, literally, be a dream come true!! Thanks for sharing....I just wish I would have grabbed a cuppa first!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s great Jennifer and very much appreciated :) Virginia is a beautiful state. I am very happy we settled here. Still time for a cuppa my friend :)))

      Delete
  16. All those things you shared about Village life are what makes me love the UK and makes me always want to explore yet another part of that country. The lanes! yikes! so scary at times but so pretty. My growing up years were in the city. Ha! I was born in East L.A.! It was fun to read some of your history, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen, I am very happy you enjoyed my ramble, and reading your opinions of the UK made me very happy :) I wish you many more happy travels over there. And it must have been exciting growing up in Los Angeles.

      Delete
  17. You must write your story for your son. You write so beautifully and really tell the story. Your description of your earlier life is just how I imagine an English village to be! The job sounds like it would be quite an entry into the real world issues of many and not at all easy. I love reading about lives and stories like these introduce us to a part of our blog friends we might not know. Thanks for sharing it.(Share more!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, so kind of you and I most definitely will:)

      Delete
  18. Denise, thank you for sharing your very interesting life here! Gregg must have really swept you off your feet after typing all those divorce problems. You know how much I love the area you grew up in! Your son will love reading about all the stories you have relayed. I often think I wish I had asked my parents about this or that though I talked often to them of their past before me. Each one of us should take a lesson from you. Our children ask both of us about our past before them all the time.
    I do hope you two get well soon, my friend! Believe me it is brutal outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so kind, and you are very welcome Martha Ellen. We certainly connected immediately and were like old friends after that first evening when we met. Yes, I have always enjoyed your blog posts tremendously about you and Grayden going over to the UK. How lovely your own children are asking about your lives. That’s wonderful! It took me a while to feel better but we are both almost over this thing. Thanks again my friend :)

      Delete
  19. Bardzo ciekawe wspomnienia. Warto opowiadać historie z naszego życia.. Miłego weekendu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo. Dobrze jest, gdy nasze dzieci słuchają naszej historii. Miłego tygodnia dla Ciebie :)

      Delete
  20. Very interesting post. I’ve seen those narrow lanes on some shows, and we have some very narrow roads here where you have to pull over. Once I met a UPS truck on a narrow mountain road. I was going uphill and I had to back down to a wide spot. I didn’t have a backup camera then, and there was a drop-off on one side and a ditch on the other side. By the time I made it safely through the pull off, my chest was hurting. It was scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, now that would have been hair raising. I have been on similar roads but fortunately didn’t meet any other vehicles :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!