Monday, August 5, 2024

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - TOFU PEANUT SATAY

 This was made several weeks ago and was in my draft folder. I originally found it on Instagram and if you are a member and would like to take a look, you can see a quick version of the recipe in motion at this link. An excellent dish, the first Thai meal we had fixed for a while, and looking forward to trying it again.


3 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
2/3 cup of coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 to 2 tablespoons of sriracha 
(the amount depends on how spicy you like it 
you could leave it off if you prefer)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce (we used low sodium)
2 tablespoons grated garlic
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 limes, one juiced to add to the cooking process,
and 1 lime sectioned for garnish
1 block extra or super firm Tofu, 
drained, dried and cut into 16 evenly sized cubes
Oil, salt and pepper as needed (we left the salt out, tasted great)
1 handful of cilantro, finely chopped
2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced on the bias
1/2 cup crushed peanuts
1 tablespoon black and white sesame seeds
1 tablespoon chili oil crisp
Rice for serving

4 Skewers for Tofu Cubes

In a large bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, coconut milk, maple syrup, sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce, 1 large pinch salt, black pepper to taste, garlic, ginger and juice of 1 lime. Set aside until needed.

Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat and allow to heat up for 2-3 minutes.

Place 4 cubes tofu on each small skewer.

Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of neutral oil (we used avocado oil and just enough to cover the bottom of the pan). 

Sear the tofu cubes in the oil.

Season the tofu in the pan with a large pinch of salt (we left this out) and pepper to taste. 

Sear on all four sides of the tofu for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until each side is golden brown.

Pour half the peanut sauce over the tofu in the pan. 

Continue to flip the tofu searing for another 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until it has reached the color and texture you like.

Serve tofu skewers over rice and garnish with the remaining peanut sauce, cilantro, green onions/scallions, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and chili crisp.  Squeeze juice from the remaining lime sections on top. 


We don't have skewers and instead cubed the tofu and cooked in the pan separately, searing on all sides like we normally do. We followed the recipe exactly after these changes.

There were enough for four servings and we will have the other two tomorrow for lunch or dinner.

I think that's about it. 




42 comments:

  1. Looks very pretty, and unusual, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, it is a fun meal and very tasty :)

      Delete
  2. Looks very tasty Denise!
    Have a beautiful and creative week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katerina, so glad you think so and thank you, I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I know tofu isn't everyone's cup of tea. The peanuts are a nice addition :)

      Delete
  4. It looks really good. I tried tofu once and didn't care for it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, Gregg was the same but as we are trying to eat less meat, we are experimenting with different ways to cook it. Making it nice and crispy on the outside is the key :)

      Delete
  5. We will definitely try this recipe. We are always looking for new and interesting ways to use tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful David, I hope you enjoy the recipe :)

      Delete
  6. The lime must give it a lovely bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, the lime does add a lot of flavor, and using the juice at the end gives it a tasty zip.

      Delete
  7. New recipes are fun and some are keepers to repeat, so glad this one worked for you, Denise. However, unless there is a tofu substitute it won’t be on my try list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could try something like cubed chicken Dorothy :) it doesn't necessarily have to be tofu. You could try pork also. I wouldn't mind trying them in our next dish, but I am one of those people who thoroughly enjoys tofu in any form. Tofu is not everyone's cup of tea I know.

      Delete
  8. I can't find any tofu, don't know where to look. I wanted to try it in one of your recipes because I need something for protein. I keep forgetting to check on the wm app to see where it might be. I don't know what it looks like or where they store it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point Sandra. I will find a picture and send it to you. It is usually in the refrigerator section. Our local supermarket keeps it in the health food section but location changes from store to store. Most every store sells it though. Good luck on finding it and I will do my best to point you in the right direction.

      Delete
  9. Looks great! To me, any dish with cilantro turns out extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Wonderful! Thanks Jenn, appreciate that very much :)

      Delete
  11. Would you believe I have never eaten tofu? I am behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, not behind the times at all :) There are so many new foods out there to try, it is hard to keep up.

      Delete
  12. We love Thai food and that looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, looms amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Liz :) You are very welcome and thank you!

      Delete
  14. Now this is the recipe for me. I love tofu and I love peanut butter anything. In a Thai dish? Well, just so yummy! Thanks for sharing....we will certaily be making this one soon!! Happy Monday to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that’s great, so glad :) You are very welcome for the share Jennifer and thank you! Happy Monday to you too.

      Delete
  15. When Nel was a vegetarian years ago, she used to eat tofu now and then. I have to have my meat, but this dish looks surprisingly good.

    Just catching up on your sweet posts this morning.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri, I have a lot of catching up to do myself and am looking forward to yours :) We try to have more meatless meals in our week lately, age related unfortunately ;)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!