Monday, September 4, 2023

MONDAY POST - A SIMPLE RECIPE FOR POACHED CHICKEN


No link today.  I wanted something simple for lunch.  Sometimes I forget and cook without any additions, which is okay but done this way, the chicken turns out more tender and flavorful.  I have added it to my blog so that I can remember.


Poached Chicken


2 poached chicken breasts

1 red onion cut into large pieces

1 stick of celery cut into 2" to 3" pieces, with leaves attached

3 to 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and pressed with a spoon

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

A handful of fresh parsley

2 to 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary

2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme (if you don't have fresh, add half to a tablespoon each of dried)

A few slices of lemon 


Prepare all your ingredients beforehand and place them at the side of the stovetop, within easy reach as you go through the steps.

Don’t wash your chicken.  Pat it dry with a paper towel.  (I read this interesting article on food safety. Once again I know I am preaching to the choir so to speak, and those who have been cooking their whole lives already know this, but I add info for any new cooks out there, and also as a refresher for myself.)

Bring water to a simmer (to the point where you can see the start of little bubbles) but do not boil.  There should be enough water to cover your chicken 1 to 2 inches above.  

Carefully add the chicken breasts, along with the other ingredients.

Turn down to a simmer and cover.

Cook for 15 minutes, or until done.

Thermometer in thickest part of the chicken breast should read 170 degrees Fahrenheit.  

I usually serve this with a mixed veggie salad.  I have also made chicken salad which you can see here.

I have made the recipe with dried herbs when I didn't have any fresh, but I try to remember to put fresh on my shopping list the day of cooking.  We both feel the taste is more flavorful.  However, it is still very good with dried herbs.  

I keep the liquid from the pan to use in other recipes after carefully removing the chicken to refrigerate.  Put a strainer in the sink over a large bowl, and carefully pour the broth into the strainer to remove the veggies.  This is for when I need chicken broth. I keep it in the refrigerator overnight.  This allows the fat to solidify on the top.  The next day I scoop off the fat and measure out the broth and put in 1 cup sealed containers.  If I am not going to use it straight away, I put it in the freezer until needed.

  





34 comments:

  1. This would have a zillion uses!! I knew it was bad to wash chicken long before it was official. I never did because it didn't make sense. It spreads bacteria all over the sink, and cooking kills it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Ginny, it's very versatile :) Good that you figured all that out early.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy. I can remember when chicken was one of the more expensive meats and something we only had on 'high days and holidays'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting. I grew up not eating chicken. It was one of the things my dad couldn't stand so mum never cooked it. He would eat turkey at Christmas though :)

      Delete
  3. Looks rather good and sound so too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby and I eat a lot of chicken, I am always looking for new recipes.
    Take care, have a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Eileen. Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. I love chicken, in any form! Your's looks yummy!
    Have a sweet and peaceful week!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, us too. Thank you and I wish you the same, sending hugs :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was! I remember a friend of mine sprinkling hers with cornstarch and leaving it for half an hour to make it tender. Thanks Angie :)

      Delete
  7. I'm a huge chicken fan. It's always my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ann and it's certainly very healthy :)

      Delete
  8. this is my first time hearing about poached chicken. all new to me.. and easy to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made poached chicken when I was looking for healthier recipes a few years ago, and I am all for easy recipes. Best of all the hubs loves this, a win-win.
      Thanks Sandra :)

      Delete
  9. I love that you use the liquid for other things. Great add to something else. Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great HW :) It is a nice addition to be able to do that. So much healthier too. Thank you and happy cooking to you also.

      Delete
  10. Your poached chicken looks delicious and your presentation is lovely. Poaching is a great method for cooking chicken breasts when they are large. Some of the breasts I've gotten lately are big. Happy Labor Day, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, I appreciate that :) That's very true about their size. I am finding that also. Happy Labor Day to you too dear friend :)

      Delete
  11. Dziękuję za ten przepis na pewno to wypróbuję. Miłego tygodnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wspaniały! Mam nadzieję, że to lubisz. Życzę Ci udanego tygodnia :)

      Delete
  12. It looks delicious. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dad used to have a recipe similar to this

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet option! Thank you so much for sharing. Denise. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think you can get a lot easier than that -- and great stock when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie :) The added stock makes a great soup and any number of dishes.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the reminder Denise! I used to do something like this. a while ago I found a method for cooking skinless boneless chicken breasts in a dutch oven so that they stay moist, but I think poaching like this will be even easier plus give us the leftover broth for another recipoe or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like the look of it Sallie. Your method sounds like something I would like to try :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!