Thursday, September 14, 2023

MORE FROM HUNTLEY MEADOWS

 A few more photos from Huntley Meadows...

 starting off with the Green Heron that we saw fishing and shared in this post.
Our next photo is on the right just after we have reached the boardwalk that takes us over the wetlands.  You can see an egret off center left, and behind it - and I am sorry I couldn't get a closer shot - is the biggest snapping turtle I have ever seen.  There are two duck nesting boxes all quiet at this time of the year, and on the arc of branches right at the top is a Great Blue Heron.  I would have concentrated on that more if I had noticed it, but it only became clear that evening on my laptop screen.  Below is a closer shot of the Great Egret.  The water level was down in this area, and I didn't see any signs of beaver activity.We chatted with a man taking photos.  He was a very friendly fellow.  We walked on and further along there was a lady with her daughter.  The mother had mentioned, as she looked at my sunhat, that she should have worn hers today.  It was very hot!  We chatted for a little while and they eventually moved on.  Gregg and I sat on our bench looking out at the marsh, checking for other birds.  This was after we had taken photos of our Green Heron, and it continued fishing and we continued looking.  The following photo of the tree trunk is where we had seen a pair Pileated Woodpeckers.  They were going back and forth to feed their babies the last time we were here.  It was all quiet now, just an empty spot ready and waiting for next spring.   That nesting hole is a hundred feet off the ground.
Here's another tree that we have to step around on our walk through the wood, before we get to the wetland.  It's practically in the middle of the path. The tree was hollow and you could see through to the other side in each hole.
Gregg took a photo of this Dragonfly.  I was having a hard time focusing but his hand and eyes are better than mine.  Not sure what kind.  I am late getting this post put together and will soon be calling it a night.   I will try and find its ID tomorrow.  Here are some Katydids, one in focus, one not.  There were hundreds of them hopping all over the plants on one side of the boardwalk. 
The Swamp Mallows were still blooming, with lots of buds ready to open everywhere.
Not quite as many in abundance but there were a few Cardinal flowers.
By the time we got to the other end of the boardwalk, there was a bench with my name on it. It is at the start of another path that goes through more woods, which eventually leads to a large pond on the other side of the marsh. The bench is always welcome as it is in the shade.  In the distance I saw someone sitting there and as we got closer I said to Gregg perhaps they wouldn't mind moving up so that I could sit down.  Apparently my voice carries even though I thought it was nothing more than a whisper.  When we got to the bench these nice people had already scooted to the other side and as I asked if they would mind me joining them, the lady said, "Certainly, we had already moved as we heard you."   I laughed and said they were very kind.  I recognized the lady and her daughter from chatting with them about my sunhat earlier on our walk.  Not only that but after ten minutes, the lady's husband joined us and he was the photographer we talked to at the beginning of our walk.  
We had a lovely conversation with the three of them, at least half an hour.  The husband showed us this little device he has attached to his iPhone with a rubber band and was what he used for taking macro photography.  The photos he took were sharp and clear, great macros of insects.  He had attached to a jeweler's magnifying glass which in his opinion worked better than the more expensive attachments you can buy.  He was the one who was taking the photos, and the mother and daughter were going along for the exercise. They teased him about taking a couple of dozen photos of one subject.  Sounds familiar I said, knowing that I quite often do that myself.  They also told us about a nature reserve an hour away.  We had never heard of it, so now we have another to add to our list of places to go. The daughter was very proud to show me her photo of some young snakes she had spotted curled up on top of an old tree stump, and I told her it was excellent.  She certainly had her father's eye for photography.
We thanked the dad for all the great tips he had given us.  We have been lucky on our outings and have always met people who are very giving of their photographic knowledge. We left them heading to the second pond in the other direction.  We have been on other occasions, but the heat was getting to us and we had a long way to walk back to the car.  The water flask we had brought with us was now empty.  
That's about it for our trip to Huntley Meadows.  I certainly hope it won't be as long getting back.  We intend to return when the weather isn't quite as hot.

Thanks for visiting and I hope your day is a great one!




36 comments:

  1. It looks serene and lovely - and how nice to learn of another place to visit (when it cools down) that is not far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are good descriptions Sue and yes, we look forward to further exploration :)

      Delete
  2. The holes on the tree are really see through. Quite crazy to have that happen. Is it man made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are and I believe those are not manmade but I could be wrong. At first I thought birds, woodpeckers perhaps but then they like to build their nests higher up. Maybe chipmunks or some other small creature? It’s puzzling. Truly I have no clue but I do know that the park people keep a close watch on these trees, especially those that are on or next to a path where people walk daily. If they thought it was dangerous it would be removed and probably will be eventually. I see markings on trees here that are removed soon after, and there was no such markings on this one. If it benefits the animals and birds, they are very good about not touching things, unless of course it becomes a safety issue :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place to see. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Margaret, happy you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely place and your photos are wonderful. That hollow tree with all the holes is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very much enjoyed our conversation with strangers, felt like I was there with you. I love to talk to people any and every where i visit. i poked the screen and googles says it is a familiar bluet. love the signs on the walkway. no way to miss those. that makes it less dangerous for those of us walking slowly taking photos. i too take way to many of one thing. that is the fun of digital. but then i have a hard time deleteing them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we are kindred spirits Sandra. We enjoy having a conversation with friendly people on our walks. People will often come and ask what we are taking photos of, and we do the same. It is easy enough to start a conversation, if either side is willing. Thanks for the bluet ID. I should check Google more often, but I was very tired last night, excuses, excuses, lol! Appreciate the help. Yes, walking can be tricky on those boardwalks. They are wide enough for people to pass each other comfortably. However, I almost got knocked into the water by children running by when out of sight of parents. Only a couple of times thankfully but enough to make me aware of how close to the edge I am when there are others around. I often like to peer into the water to see if I can see turtles, fish or frogs :) and I have a hard time deleting photos.

      Delete
  6. The wetland area where you walk looks like a good place to walk on those wide boards and you see many different water birds there. It looks as if the area is well used. I like the fact that there are information boards and you always fill us in by setting the scene and giving us further info. The photos are great. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, there are many information boards along our walk. I read them every time :) Thank you, always happy you enjoy.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos, love the Green Heron, Egret and turtles. The flowers are pretty.
    I have been to Huntley Meadows once, it is a nice place for an outing. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you went to Huntley Meadows. So glad you saw the place. I feel fortunate that we can drive there, even though it is further away than our usual jaunts. You enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  8. Cool tree! How come it didn't break...the dragonfly shot is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I'll tell Gregg as he is the one who took the photo of the dragonfly. The tree looks pretty sturdy right now but I'm sure it will be removed eventually. The park people inspect the trees regularly.

      Delete
  9. You have some beautiful photos here, Denise. Isn't it nice to encounter other photographers or walkers along the way and strike up a chat? Those trees are really interesting and love your egret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, so glad you enjoyed my post :) It certainly is, there are nice people everywhere we go.

      Delete
  10. Part of a good outing is some of the people you meet. this looks like a very rich area for many kinds of critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely Red, and there is always a new animal or bird to see here. They are very diverse.

      Delete
  11. I'm already excited to see what this new place is like. That Dragonfly sure does not have much in the way of wings! The tree with the big holes all the way through is crazy! What do you think the deal with it is??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The only thing is you have to join and then make a reservation, or so those nice people told us. We have to investigate a little more first but I am eager to visit :)

      Delete
  12. Awesome photos! I especially love the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Denise, I so enjoyed this lovely visit to your special place! I enjoyed each and every photo. Your visit with the folks you met there reminded me of something I'll never forget. This very wise man told me that nice people always find nice people wherever they go. I enjoyed hearing about the ones you met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Martha Ellen, so glad! Isn't that very wise man sweet and so are you for telling me that story. Thank you my dear friend :)

      Delete
  14. So many smiles and 'yes, me too'' as I read through the post! First -- isn't it fun to download your pictures and find something (like your Great Blue) that you missed seeing -- it's like a little surprise gift! You saw some great birds and I sure like the benches all along the boardwalk -- my favorite kind of walk too! Especially in the heat. Very interesting photo tips and so nice to meet nice people. Another 'me too' is the trouble focusing. That has become quite a problem for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sallie, it certainly is fun to find something missed, and consider it a gift when something pops up I hadn't noticed before :) Ah yes, I went to another favorite area where the benches were all along our walk. It wasn't quite as hot today, but I was still grateful for them. Always lovely to meet nice people isn't it? The focusing thing seems to be something I notice more and more these days. I need to get off to the optometrist I'm thinking :)

      Delete
  15. Goodness! Fancy that tree with those holes going all the way through.
    Also at first glance it looks a little like a face, how the holes are placed.

    All the best Jan

    PS I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I appreciate that :) Now I can see something else in the old tree, a face! :) All the best to you too!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a good visit. I didn’t see the great blue heron until I read your text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always is a fun visit. That heron kind of melted into the background :). Thanks Linda!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!