Monday, September 11, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - HAM, CHEESE AND SCALLION SCONES FOR THE BRUNCH CROWD - MAKES 10

My scone offerings to George the Bunny, Berty the Bee, Sophie the Squirrel, Bernard the Bird, and the Pilgrim Birds Mr. and Mrs. Plymouth Rock (these two are visiting even earlier but I wanted to enjoy them just a bit longer this year.  Berty the Bee asked if I could replace those spiky cones with flowers as he said he would find them more comfortable to sit on.  My reply was okay, next time I go to the store you will have your flowers, and I'll be sure to bring back a bottle of honey so that you won't have to work so hard. Berty was happy!  I am getting in touch with a pinch of inner child, a dash of whimsy, brushed with an even bigger dash of kindness on the top.  These are always good additions to any recipe.

I made my scones yesterday, Sunday the 10th.  They were a delicious addition to brunch and were well received. I found them here at Tasting Table, host Katie Rosenhouse.  I always highly recommend visiting the original recipe, at this link, to see all the tips beforehand, and also to look at photos and other recipes.  There is a YouTube video where Katie goes through all the steps at her website - you can see it on YouTube if you click here.

 

Ham, Cheese, And Scallion Scones Recipe - makes 10 scones Approximately 454 calories per scone.


3-¼ cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1-½ tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon paprika

¾ cup salted butter, cold, cubed

8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

8 ounces maple ham steak, cut into small cubes

1 cup thinly sliced scallion

⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half, divided (the 2/3 cup will be mixed into the dough, the 2 tablespoons will be brushed on top of the scones before baking)

1 large egg


Optional Ingredients:

Coarse salt, for sprinkling


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then set aside.

Measure out all ingredients before you start and have them close so that it will make the steps easier (see my notes below).

In a medium bowl, stir to combine flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and paprika. 

Add butter and work in with your fingertips or a pastry cutter until only pea-sized bits remain visible.

Fold in the cheese, ham, and scallions.

Whisk to combine ⅔ cup of half-and-half with the egg. Pour into dry mixture and toss lightly to combine. 

(Katie described the dough as looking a bit shaggy.)  

Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and gently press to form a 4x14-inch rectangle (it should be about 1-½-inches thick). 

Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit.

Cut dough into 5 equal sections. Then cut each section into 2 triangles. 

Space the triangles out across the baking sheet. 

Brush the tops with the remaining half-and-half and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt, if using.

Bake for 24-26 minutes until golden brown.

Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.

Serve warm.

My scones didn't turn out the perfect triangles that I would have liked, but there was no doubt that they tasted great.


Notes from Kathleen:

"The dough should be "shaggy" in its appearance." 

"Chilling the dough helps keep the fat (butter) cold, making for flaky layers within the scones. It also helps control the spread when the scones hit the heat of the oven, and makes them easier to cut,"

"When the dough has chilled, but before you've thrown it in the oven, you want to cut it into perfect, scone triangles. She suggests doing this by cutting the rectangle of dough into squares before cutting each square diagonally to make the triangles.”

"Bake and cool before serving."

"If you don't have half-and-half on hand, using half milk and half cream will have the same effect.  You are looking to add richness and fat to the dough, but straight cream would be overwhelming.  The combination of milk and cream gives the scones a flaky, rich, texture, without weighing it down."


My notes:

I have one other savory scone recipe that is very similar to this.  You can find that at this link to compare. 

I got everything prepared and ready the night before, so that I could easily bake the scones first thing in the morning.  The aroma of freshly baked anything is always very welcoming.

I combined the flour, sugar, baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and paprika in a bowl, gave them a good mix to combine and covered the bowl tightly with foil to continue the next morning.

I also measured out the rest of the ingredients in separate containers, and refrigerated what needed to be.   

The mixture seemed a bit dry after adding the egg with the half and half.  As I thought my large egg was on the small side, I added another egg and a little more half and half, which I whisked together and added to the dough.  After mixing it in the dough seemed better to me.  You can be your own judge if you think the extra is needed.  

The next morning I followed the recipe and it was easy, the process went smoothly, and we had that wonderful aroma wafting through the house.

I used cubed sliced deli ham that was already in the fridge.

I have included the full website address next if you prefer cutting and pasting instead of using my links:

https://www.tastingtable.com/1378571/ham-cheese-and-scallion-scones-recipe/

That's it!  If I have missed anything and you have any questions, please let me know in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.





36 comments:

  1. Love those savoury cheesy scones! Perfect for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed them. And thank you for indulging your (and our) inner child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful breakfast this would be with some coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scones look delicious. How nice of you to share them with your friends on the hearth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, going to have one for my tea tonight :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. They were and are. We will finish the last two tonight for supper with some soup. I froze a roll of dough to make later. An experiment to see if they would turn out as good once thawed :)

      Delete
  7. The scones look yummy, thanks for sharing. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen, thank you! I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  8. I would never turn down a scone! Speaking of scones, I'll be missing in action around bloggy world until October! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the head's-up Ellen, have a wonderful trip/staycation. Either one, I am wishing you a very happy blog break :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, these scones look delicioius! I don't think I've ever made savory scones. Your friends on the hearth make me smile--adorable, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy my posts make you smile Martha Ellen. I wish I could share a scone with you :)

      Delete
  10. I've never heard of ham and cheese scones before. They look delicious, Denise. They would be so good with a hot bowl of soup. Your fireplace looks so charming with all your Fall decorations, and I think they are so fitting, especially since you love all the animals in the woods. Your white pumpkin adds a special touch too. I always change between the orange and the white pumpkins, but this year I went with the orange. A happy September week to you, Denise.

    ~Sheri

    **I wanted to thank you for the stories about the earthquakes that you got when you lived in San Diego and Monterey. Wow, those must have been big ones. And sorry your sweet angel figurines fell and broke. At least you still have one of them. It was really a strange moment when we got the earthquake. Nel has experienced them living in So Cal, like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri and you're right, I'm looking forward to having another with soup. My white pumpkin was sent to me a few years ago as part of a flower arrangement. I normally am drawn to the orange ones but love this little white pumpkin. It's a nice connection to dear friends. As for your earthquake, always a scary situation and now this awful one in Morrocco, which sounds heartbreaking and horrifying. We had a small one a few years ago in Virginia. I don't ever remember such a thing before. I'm just very glad that yours was a small one and you had no damage. Yes, at least I still have one little angel with its broken toe. It will always be a treasure. A happy September week to you too Sheri :)

      Delete
  11. I've never had a scone much less made one. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, they are delicious and I am looking forward to another :)

      Delete
  12. When I hear the word scone, I think of a sweet crescent roll. Not that I have ever in my life eaten one, but in my imagination they are just so! Have a wonderful week, and enjoy those yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I have ever had a savory scone...but it does sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer. I hope you try it one day :)

      Delete
  14. Your hearth is so pretty and it looks wonderful with that plateful of scones. I think I will have to make these. I love a good scone but most of my recipes are more fruity. This would be a wonderful lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, I hope you enjoy them as much as we did :)

      Delete
  15. The scones look yummy and I enjoyed the visit with your inner child a lot (thanks for sharing both!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inner child and I have great conversations sometimes, lol! You are very welcome and thank you also Sallie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!