Tuesday, September 5, 2023

HUNTLEY MEADOWS PARK IN ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA


Last Saturday (September 2nd), we went to Huntley Meadows. We were very surprised when we realized it has been over a year since our last visit.  It seemed a long time but not that long.  With one thing and another, our excursions were not as frequent.  Being back here again felt incredible as it truly is one of our favorite places.  It is a little wilder than our more manicured gardens, which most importantly encourages a lot of wildlife.  Gregg usually carries the camera with the zoom lens as it has grown too heavy for me.  I content myself with my cell phone. I have a nice little strap attached that I put around my wrist.  No dropping my phone into the water while walking on the boardwalk!  I am always impressed with the quality of my phone's photos.  If I need the larger camera, then I just ask Gregg for it.  I am sharing the Green heron we saw today.  It is in the center of my cell phone photo below, a mere speck but it gives you an idea of its surroundings.  The heron was fishing for its supper...
and Gregg caught the heron with its catch. We at first thought it was a small fish, but it turned out to be a tadpole morphing into a frog.
  When we got home that night and looked closer on a larger screen, we could see the upper part of the body with newly formed legs, and the tail was still attached.  
I had sympathy for the frog/part tadpole, but understand that all creatures need to survive and its nature's way.
Green herons are the smallest of the North American herons...
and they are persistent fisherman, being one of only a few bird species observed using tools/bait for hunting.  One researcher reported watching a heron drop the same bait into the water more than 28 times before a fish finally bit.
Although Green herons are considered to be widespread and common, their shy nature combined with their well camouflaged exterior and odd feeding times, makes them hard to spot.
It sounds like we were very lucky to come across our friend here.
Some Green herons migrate, and some don't. They are year-round residents in most of the southern coastal parts of their range. Other birds migrate from their nesting grounds in the north a short distance south for the winter. They are considered to be mid-distance migrants.
It has had some interesting colloquial names, including Fly-up-the-creek, Poke, Chalkline, Indian Hen, and Chucklehead.  I think I have heard "Chucklehead" before somewhere.
Onto the next catch!
You can read more information about this bird here.

We didn't see a lot of birds on our visit.  This one was the closest 
but we did see swallows flying above us.  There were also several birders along our walk, looking up into the trees with binoculars.  One group was very interested in a Red-bellied woodpecker, but it was so high in the treetops that we could barely make it out.  We also saw a couple of Egrets and one Grey blue heron, a pair of snapping turtles that looked huge, the biggest we had ever laid our eyes on.  But they were at such a great distance it was impossible to get a decent photo and was a blur.  We only found out that they were snappers when we saw them on a larger screen that evening and could just about make out what they were.

It depends on the time of the year when we visit.  On each one there is always something fascinating to see.  Huntley Meadows becomes very busy during migration with several species of ducks for instance.  We saw no Red-winged blackbirds today, and no Canada Goose.  However, there were a lot of things that took our interest.  We didn't make it to the second pond we usually go to, but there will be next time and hopefully it won't be as long between visits.  

More photos to follow.





30 comments:

  1. Green heron looks very special and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting little bird and one we enjoy watching. Thanks Roentare :)

      Delete
  2. Denise, I don't think I've ever seen a Green Heron. His thick legs make him look very interesting to me. Thank you for sharing him. I always enjoy the added information you present here. Collquillal names for him are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, you are very welcome and I am always happy you enjoy my posts :) He is an interesting bird isn't he? I agree on those names.

      Delete
  3. Thank you (so much) for taking us with you to this fascinating and beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and thank you :) So glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That photo with the tadpole in the herons mouth is incredible. You can even make out the tadpoles hind legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very surprised when we saw the details. Nature is a marvelous thing, well, maybe not for the hapless tadpole in this instance :0

      Delete
  5. Those photos are absolutely beautiful, esp. the ones with herons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous shots of the little Heron catching and eating the fish! They are always such a special bird to see. They are very secretive! We lived here over 30 YEARS before I ever saw one. By now I have seen one maybe six times. I did not know about the tools and bait, how cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very special bird, I agree Ginny :) And I see them rarely so when I do, it's amazing.

      Delete
  7. Interesting, lovely photos to see Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a nice place. Fantastic series of shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, we had been here 10 years before we found out about it :) We are always meeting people at other gardens who have no idea it is there. So here we are 20 years on and still going.

      Delete
  9. I think the cell phone cameras, these days, are really good. I rarely carry my Canon EOS anymore...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, and they will be getting even better :)

      Delete
  10. That was a wonderful post! These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only seen three little green herons here. of course i would have to go to the preserves to see them, which I have not done in about 5 years. you reminded me of the year i decided to raise the tadpoles in the rain barrel. will never do that again but they were very interesting to watch them morph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting about your tadpoles as my dad did that with us as kids. We had a tin bath and he brought home frogs eggs so that we could watch them develop. One morning we found little frogs jumping all over our back garden. It was an experience to say the least :)

      Delete
  12. My iPhone camera is amazing, except on zoom shots. When I go to look for birds, I carry a regular camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm hoping they will get those zoom shots fixed down the road. Our regular camera always goes with us for the birds. I wouldn't want to be without it just for them alone :)

      Delete
  13. Agree about the quality of phone's photos. They are fairly good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great series of photographs of the Green heron.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!