Thursday, September 21, 2023

MORE FROM MEADOWLARK GARDENS, IN VIENNA, VIRGINIA - 9/14/23 - RED SPIDER LILIES

This is the first time I remember seeing a Red Spider Lily, only being familiar with the pink ones. Its other names are Spider Lily, Equinox flower, Naked Lily, Red surprise lily, Hurricane lily, Resurrection lily, Lily and Red magic lily.  Botanical name Lycoris radiata (phonetic spelling LY-kor-iss ray-dee-AY-tuh).I found them not too far from the gazebo.  They were growing next to the lake, a small group of them as you can see in the photo below.

It is a flower that is resistant to deer and rodents.  However, its roots are poisonous, albeit on the low side if I read correctly.  (You can see what I mean on the website link I provided at the end of my post.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page, on the right.)  Many flowers we see have a certain toxicity, so people should be aware if they enjoy gardening, especially when children or pets in the family.  I may be overly cautious, but I would rather know than not.  I hasten to add that if there is anyone out there more knowledgeable than I am, who has even more information, whether it is yay or nay, I always welcome their opinion.
It is native to China, Japan, Korea, and Nepal. Usually found in shady, moist areas along slopes and rocky areas near stream banks.  We can all probably guess why it is called a Spider lily, because its stamens resemble spider legs.  They bloom in late summer and Fall.
The species name radiata is Latin for "spoke" referring to the flower tepals that spread out like the spokes on a wheel. The common name hurricane lily is derived from the fact that the plants bloom during hurricane season.

I found my information and a lot more at this website.







24 comments:

  1. Oh, how pretty these lilies are, Denise. What lovely photos of your peaceful garden visit! I've said it before your posts are always informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I started noticing the pink ones on our trips to the gardens we walk around, but this is the first time I saw the reds :)

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever seen those red spider Lilies...so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What absolute beauties. Thank you. You are very right about many plants being toxic to our animal companions. One of my brother's cats had a trip to the vet after nibbling on an orchid plant (and it didn't do the orchid any good either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue, and thank you :) Sorry to learn of your brother's poor cats. I didn't know orchid's could be a problem but then again, that's just the way of things with plants and flowers.

      Delete
  5. truly beautiful and I do love red. I have seen both white and red at Selby gardens but not in a yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree and me too :) I think I have seen the white spider lilies on our trip, but it has been a long time. The pinks they have them at this garden. In fact, I took photos of them too which I will share in another post.

      Delete
  6. Those are beautiful -- very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Jeanie, I always thought of them as being very exotic looking. The first time I saw them was in a hotel garden when we were on holiday and that's been a long time ago :)

      Delete
  7. Most pretty things are poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have made it a point to learn about flowers as much as I can, I am beginning to realize that. Love to learn about them as I go along.
      Thank you Roentare :)

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful colour the Red Spider Lily is, a nice looking flower.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a gorgeous red and so pretty! :) Thanks Jan, all the best to you too.

      Delete
  9. Wow, it's really pretty. I'm with you, I would rather know if something I'm growing is harmful to pets or children.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!