Wednesday, September 27, 2023

AND SO IT BEGINS...THE NEW DECK - PART 1

A beginning post (there will be others) of the process of having the new deck put in.  Everything here has been done in one day.  I hope you won't be too bored, not my usual type of post and definitely a change of pace from flowers and critters. We were very impressed with how hard these young men worked, starting around 9.00 a.m. and finishing at 7.00 p.m. (this was yesterday - 9-25-23).  The weather is iffy this week, but we had a rain-free day, though not so much today.  It rained hard in the middle of the night.  They arrived this morning to leave a skip out front...

with more building material.  My first few photos show the old deck.  You can see the planters and the bird bath.  My aim is to put more planters, with a few feet of space in between, along the rail area.  I have always liked the privacy framework but the new one won't look like this. It will still have a privacy screen but won't have the overhanging beams.  I'm not one for change but there you go.   There will be no beams to hang the plants, or for the birds to perch, or for the squirrels to run across.  

I heard the crows in the trees squawking, "What the heck!"  The other birds are wisely making themselves scarce.  
So, above and below you can see where the planks have been removed and it's down to just the supports. It seems strange to look down after opening the patio door.  We seem higher up than I had thought.  
All a matter of perspective I know.  
That's the old wood in a big pile.  Does it sound silly to say that I feel a bit sorry to see the old deck go?  A lot of good memories seeped into every beam over the last 30 plus years.
Holes have been dug for the posts...
and now the new frame work.
I have a confession to make.  For a couple of years now I have watched either YouTube videos on camping, or where people build their own log homes. I love the look of log homes and love to see them come together.  As the day wore on, I enjoyed the process out back.  
This is as far as we got as we are waiting for an inspector to look at what has been done.  Once we have the go-ahead, I will be able to do another post.  
At the end of the day we had an unexpectedly visitor, a Mourning Dove flew onto a beam.
He was definitely giving me the eye, trying to figure what was going on.
He couldn't really settle and kept beam hopping.
Back and forth, back and forth...

Finally, he gave up and went back home up into the trees.
Is that a look of disgust?  Am I projecting?
You betcha!
A cardinal came a few minutes later, but after one hop he was out of there before I could get a photo. He also gave me the side-eye and yes, I am once again projecting.

I hope to have a second part to this deck building very soon, maybe a third.  I am not sure how these things work with getting the inspector's approval, or how long it will take.  Not too long I hope!  We did everything by the book, got the permission of the Home Owner's Association first, got signatures from four of our neighbors and showed them the plans to make sure they would have no objections.  They were all very nice about it.  It took a couple of weeks to get the go-ahead from the HOA, and now the inspector to wait for.  Interesting process!
Yes, Mr. Squirrel, and you have a thing about peanuts don't you?  But that's okay, I have a thing about projecting, says I with a smile!  Please don’t  look at me like that! 

Thanks for looking 
and have a great day.




36 comments:

  1. This will be such an interesting and exciting post series! Perhaps the dove can smell the new lumber, and is wondering why it is not a tree. Why did you choose no beams this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Ginny, and you’re probably right about the dove. We are using Trek and not wood this time. The builder said it would be difficult to add the beams. He went into more detail than that, but we finally said okay, we can work with it and so keeping fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck. They seem to have worked really hard (and for long hours) so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :) they have great work ethics, and we are very impressed.

      Delete
  3. Be interesting to see the progress Denise.
    Love the Cardinals (male) and I often wonder are they as nice in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thanks Margaret, happy you think so. Personally speaking the Cardinals really are as nice in reality :) I love them.

      Delete
  4. I love a big wood deck for sure, but maintenance is always a headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not getting wood Roentare, maintenance will be a lot easier and as we are both in our 70s, we are grateful for that.

      Delete
  5. I had fun watching when our new deck was built so I'll enjoy seeing the progress on yours also.
    Who needs an inspector. It looks to me like the birds have already given their assessment of the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun isn't it Ann? :) I was surprised at how many hoops we had to go through to get this rolling. Fortunately, the builder organized the local government inspector's visit, and we didn't have to do that ourselves. Yes, the birds say this is for the birds, NOT ;)

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to see the finished deck!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I'm looking forward to that too. Sending hugs! :)

      Delete
  7. It is neat to see the progress on the new deck. I am surprised since you already had a deck that you have to go through all the approvals again. The birds are back looking for their feeders. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised us too Eileen but I'm glad we checked. Thank you and you take care and have a great day also :)

      Delete
  8. you are talking to the the QUEEN of projecting, I fully understand. And I am thinking those birds are totally confused, they had that beautiful deck, and yes, I already miss the old, just from the views of your photos. now they have beams only, no floors to strut about on... I am assuming the lost of the extend beams for hanging had something to do with extra costs. I have priced lumber recently and yowsa! those boards are solid gold in cost. can't wait to see the finished deck and hope your inspectors are quicker than ours are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I have a kindred spirit Sandra :) The beams would have cost extra which was important, but it was more a function of the material we were using. We went back and forth on choosing the Trek. Not needing that yearly maintenance as in sanding, sealing and painting, that did it for us.

      Delete
  9. Out with the old and in with the new is not as easy as it sounds for people and critters alike. Am looking forward to seeing the new. Looks like you've got a good working crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Penelope :) Yes, they are an excellent working crew. Thank you, I am looking forward to it being finished.

      Delete
  10. I love your old deck! I think you'll miss those beams but planters will be beautiful. How fun that will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie, I did too, it fit us like an old glove, but it was getting beyond repair, and it was time to say goodbye. I look forward to when I can add a few pieces of furniture and more flowers.

      Delete
  11. I, for one, like the deck deconstruction and rebuilding. Cannot wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Major projects like deck building uproot the owners and the critters. You showed the confusion of the dove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Red, it's all a bit discombobulating for all of us :)

      Delete
  13. Interesting post. I look forward to seeing the finished deck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The old deck actually looked very nice...but I can't wait to see when the project is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie, I always enjoyed our deck but even with the yearly maintenance, the wood was beginning to rot. I am looking forward to showing you when the new one is finished :)

      Delete
  15. A change can be an ajustment for sure, but I know it must be exciting to make a safer place for you to enjoy. Thirty years is quite a lot of time for a deck. It must have been built wonderfully with great materials! Looking forward to seeing your finished project, my friend! I'm sure your sweet birds and critters will be happy to have their new deck to enjoy along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Martha Elle :) it was a wonderful old deck and it served us well. The building crew worked a long day today after not being able to yesterday (raining) and the platform is done, no rails yet. We were able to walk onto it tonight but didn’t get too close to the edge. It seems so high off the ground! The steps have to be built also, and also the screening.

      Delete
  16. I would love to see the progress on your new deck. Your old deck looked really pretty to me. I like the privacy screen. We're going to have a bit of renovation at our house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, I will do another post soon. I liked the old deck and truthfully it looks a whole lot better when the wood is wet. It had rained hard for quite a while. When it is dry you can see its age, to put it politely :) It was way overdue to be replaced.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!