Friday, September 8, 2023

A SPIDER - LOOK NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE AN AVERSION TO THEM

I happen to be fascinated with insects, including spiders. No, I don’t like to be suddenly startled and have them crawl on me. In fact, you might hear me exclaim somewhat if that happens. A memory, another from childhood. I remember playing in a field with friends.  Running down a ditch I ran through what seemed like thousands of teeny, newly hatched spiderlings. I was absolutely covered and there was a lot of screaming involved. The words of my dear old dad ring in my ears. He used to say, "They're more afraid of you than you are of them!"  Well, wasn't sure about that but thankfully it didn't give me a phobia.  Now when I get the chance to observe them calmly, I will not miss the opportunity.  

At this time of the year you may see the Argiope aurantia. Very interesting information here.  

These photos are from my archives. They were taken at Big Meadows along Skyline Drive several years ago. I was reminded of them when an illustration popped up in my neighborhood app. A neighbor came across an Argiope on the outside of their house and wanted to know if it was something to be worried about. It does look rather large. One of the answers she got was the illustration I include below.



Great information at Squirrel’s View below.  Squirrel’s last post was in November 2015 but I am very grateful she kept it open. It is a wonderful nature blog.   

http://squirrelsview.blogspot.com/2011/09/argiope-garden-spider.html

 



Thanks for visiting and enjoy your day!




32 comments:

  1. I am also fascinated with insects, many of which are very, very beautiful. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue and so glad you enjoyed my post. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Understand that completely :) It's good to know what's venomous and what is not.

      Delete
  3. I'm ok with spiders as long as they keep their distance. The picture makes this one look huge. It is rather fascinating looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good way to go :) He's very striking with those contrasting colors.

      Delete
  4. Cool looking spider! Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so Eileen, and thank you! I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  5. your photos are excellent and that sketch is perfect and so true. I am with you, I don't love them but only harm one if it is that big jumping thing that gets in my house and might jump on me during the night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra :) no, I have had that happen and don't particularly enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I don't like spiders at all, or any kind of crawling bug actually. Birds, bees, butterflies, YES, but big NO to the creepy crawlies. I do know not to bother the garden spiders..but any other kind...they better watch out. Especially the black widows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that :) I'm one of those people who go to the Natural History Museum at the Smithsonian and head straight for the insect exhibit. Black widows and Brown Recluse are over-the-top intimidating.

      Delete
  7. Boję się pająków choć lubię je fotografować:) Ten jest niezwykły nigdy takiego nie widziałam. Mìlego dnia życzę:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I don't like to get too close but they have fascinated me since I was a child.

      Delete
  8. I'm not a spider person. I'm not familiar with this kind at all. It does look ominous to me with the vivid marking. Glad to know it's beneficial. My attitude toward spiders is you stay outside and I'll stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As long as my spider friends stay outside I'm okay living with them. If they come inside that is a different matter. :) Happy Friday to you dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, I prefer them outside also and always put them out when I find them :) I have a very large cup that I keep for such a purpose but fortunately I haven't had to use it in quite a while. And a Happy Friday to you also dear lady :)

      Delete
  10. I find spiders fascinating, Denise. They really have a bad rap. My grandson is quite into them and has taught me to appreciate them. I really don't want them in the house either, but their webs are really works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more Martha Ellen and it's so good to know your grandson's influence has had an effect. We can teach the young but they can also teach us :)))

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the heads up.. I jumped right to end of the post. I am not a bug person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I'm glad I gave the warning. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea. Thank you Hena :)

      Delete
  12. They fascinate me in the garden, I do not like them in the house!!! Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there's a place for them and it isn't inside :) Cheers to you also.

      Delete
  13. A very touching post. Thank you for telling us more about you. I agree. The creatures are fascinating and deserve to be un molested. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Cloudia, so glad you enjoyed my mini ramble :) I totally agree. Aloha!

      Delete
  14. These are amazing spiders! Happy you don't have a phobia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, they certainly are and me too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!