Thursday, September 28, 2023

WORD OF THE DAY WITH A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

I noticed each little boy had an endearing twinkle in his eyes, a mischievous look on his face.

UK 1890


“Scallywag”

“A person who behaves badly but in an amusingly mischievous rather than harmful way; often for personal profit.”


There was such a scallywag in one of our old neighborhoods, a darling little boy I was very fond of.  The other children used to pick on him and I would hear him call out my name for help.  All I had to do was open the front door for others to scatter in all directions.  He would run in the house and I would give him milk and cookies, and he stayed with me until his mom got home.  

Times were changing and most all of the moms went out to work on our road.  I had a small cottage industry that allowed me to stay home, so I became the unofficial nanny to several of the neighborhood kids.  I didn’t mind because our son had lots of company.  

My little scallywag, however, had a lot of time on his hands, as his mom worked longer hours than most.  She also traveled on business and had a live-in nanny who was as old as I am now, and he spent most of his non-school time running all hours around the neighborhood.

One time, just before the holidays, I noticed there were paper plates in the gutter in front of my neighbors’ houses, including ours.  As I looked a few doors down, there was my little scallywag sitting on the curb.  He was stuffing his mouth with cookies from one of the plates that had been previously festively wrapped.  

His mother had given those cookies to all the neighbors as a gift, and placed them in the letter boxes for them to find when they came home and checked their mail.  Scallywag said he thought it was okay to take them back, as they were his mother’s cookies, he had helped her bake them and he was hungry.  

We had a little chat about that.  I told him a) he would get into trouble going into people's letter boxes and he shouldn't do that anymore, and b) once his mother had given her cookies away, they were now the neighbors' cookies, not his mothers and not his. 

He was six years’ old and we had our very own artful dodger on the loose.  Not really, but I think you know what I mean.  He's probably chatting to his own kids now, giving them talks like, "I understand, when I was a kid there was this time..."

When his mom remarried and moved out of state a couple of years later, I really missed that little boy, and even now the thought of him makes me smile.

After reading this Gregg said what he remembers is that he was a natural athlete, could kick a soccer ball and run like the wind.

What I remember is that kid sure loved his cookies and milk.

The photo was given to me by Gregg who belongs to an online historical photo group.  Seeing all those little boys sent me on a trip down memory lane.  A great trip for me, thank you Gregg.






32 comments:

  1. What a cute story. Wouldn't you love to know where he is now? I knew what a scallywag is, but not this exact definition, and I now think there is no other word with the exact same meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, and yes I would. I tried to look him up once but was amazed at how many people had the same name.

      Delete
  2. Dennis the Menace (did you get him?) was the classic scallywag. Love this story - thank you for taking us romping down memory lane with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Dennis the Menace, and you're right, a classic scallywag. I'm happy you enjoyed my trip down memory lane Sue. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Do you know his name? You could look him up online? The boys in the photo look like they've been bribed with future cookies if they'll all smile for the photo! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do and tried to look him up a couple of times, the last time after this story. I hope he is living a happy life. I was wondering what was being said to make them all smile. Thanks Linda :)

      Delete
  4. I know that name, haven't heard it for a long time. Lovely memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the name too but hadn't thought of it in a very long time until I saw that photo :) Thank you Margaret!

      Delete
  5. That was a lovely story. You were very kind to the scallywag. Just look how those poor boys are dressed in that photo. How times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Diane :) He was an endearing little boy, it just seemed natural to be kind. Those boys reminded me of a Charles Dickens story.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful story. He sounds like quite the character. I wonder what ever became of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, much appreciated. I have thought of him off and on through the years. I hope he's living a happy life :)

      Delete
  7. because of all the reading i have done in my life, i do know the word scallywag and that photos is priceless. each of them is so full of mischief and the grins prove it. I love your story of the small scallywag and enjoyed the trip down your memory lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is a great education isn't it Sandra, and we can travel the world without stepping a foot outside the house? :) Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed my trip.

      Delete
  8. Cute story and photo. I knew the word from various books I have read. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed :) You take care and enjoy your day also.

      Delete
  9. Some of these little guys are one step ahead of everybody else. while you're delivering the lecture, he has his next venture in his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you met a lot of scallywags in your teaching career Red :)

      Delete
  10. Oh how I loved hearing about your scallywag, Denise. It warms my heart knowing you were there for this little fellow. I can just imagine he remembers you kindnesses, dear one! The eyes of these little darlings in the picture are so sweet and innocent. Thanks to Gregg for sharing it with you so you could share your scallywag story here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Martha Ellen, so glad :) I felt connected to that little boy somehow. His antics made me laugh though I tried not to show that too often. I remember putting my hands on my hips and saying, "What are you up to now?" I think he knew I liked him and he liked me. He might have thought I was a turnip-head too, lol! I will be sharing more old photos from Gregg, there are some wonderful historical ones he shares with me.

      Delete
  11. I'm sure he has many fond memories of you as well! What an impact and impression some leave on our lives!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely but he was so young :) very true, I don’t think I will ever forget that little lad.

      Delete
  12. Such a lovely story and I love the photo too. Thanks for sharing it, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As Sandi also said, it makes you wonder what became of him!

    Enjoy these last few days of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought has crossed my mind a few times :) Thank you Jan, you too.

      Delete
  14. I know what a scallawag is, but haven't heard it in a long, long time. How very wonderful that you were there for that little boy. I'll bet he still remembers you too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if you could find that little skallawag on Facebook. I bet he'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to give it another go. I tried without success quite a while ago but I should try again. Thanks for the encouragement Jeanie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!