Monday, October 17, 2022

MONDAY RECIPE POST - TWO RECIPES TODAY: SALSA CON QUESO BEEF ENCHILADAS AND MEXICAN RICE

Nice and crusty after I had gotten past the taking out of the oven stage.  The timer was going off in the kitchen, but I was focused doing something in the other room and didn't hear it.  I accidentally added another 15 minutes to the cooking time.  The cheese got a might crispy on the edges, and had the taste of a raclette, but the enchiladas were delicious, and it was a happy happenstance as that burnt cheese on the edges was also delicious!  Next time though, I will probably set the time on my phone and put it right next to my ear!

A bit of a longer ramble today but I went down memory lane on this one, so please feel free to skip to the recipe part.  I do these rambles for our son as I started blogging because of him, to give him an idea of what his parents used to do back in the day, so to continue...

At one time I wasn't a big fan of Mexican Cuisine.  Only because in truth, where I grew up, we were a very plain-cooking family.  Mum was the best cook and those meals she made were outstanding.  She was also a wonderful baker.  I think she was more adventurous in trying new foods, as I learned later when she visited us here in the States.  Dad was the one she catered for, however, and he was more of a meat and potato man, bless his cotton socks, and there certainly is nothing wrong with that.

There was one Chinese Restaurant and one Indian Restaurant in the nearby town.  Things have probably changed but in those days, it seemed that most people only went out for special occasions, like birthdays in our case.  Mum and Dad went once to the Chinese restaurant with me, and I went once to the Indian restaurant with friends. Both occasions the food was enjoyed very much, maybe not by my meat and potato loving Dad, but he was always a good sport.  No, we didn't go out to eat a lot, unless it was for a cup of tea and a slice of cake, or a crumpet, on a shopping trip.  

The one time I had Mexican food in the UK, was when I traveled to London, going up on the train and staying the weekend visiting with friends. I was 20-ish, if that, and they took me to a lovely restaurant in Soho. I knew nothing of ambiance back in those days, but this place was like I had stepped into Mexico, and was a posher restaurant than I had ever been to in my 20 years.  It was an adventure!  I can only remember that I had a dish, chicken I think, with chocolate sauce on the top, my friends' recommendation.  My parents on my return, looked at me a little strangely when I told them about it.  “And it wasn’t a dessert?”  I am not sure they believed me, but years later I realized it was a mole sauce which you can read about here. They decided I needed a good cup of tea and a crumpet, which there was a never ending supply of in Mum’s pantry.  As I told my parents about my weekend in London, I said to Mum, there's nothing quite like a good cup of tea and a crumpet.  My mother was reassured.  And in her eyes, tea fixes everything.  

The next time I had this cuisine was when I came to America in 1975, but it was a few years later when I ate my first Mexican meal.  We were traveling through New Mexico on a road trip and had heard about a place that was quite famous and had a great reputation, also recommended by friends.  A lovely restaurant, but nothing fancy.  It had lots of atmosphere, however, and great food.  I said to my dear other half, that I wasn't going to leave the state before I tried an authentic Mexican meal, and our route took us near the restaurant thankfully.  

It was another fun experience.  Plus, it was hot and spicy, and Gregg pointed out halfway through, that I had a single tear falling down my cheek I hadn't noticed.  I was too busy with the feeling of my mouth being on fire and, unusually, I didn't feel as though that was a big deal.  He thought it was a hoot and I loved that meal and its heat. We still talk about it occasionally, and laugh at the memory. 

Days later, we found ourselves in another Mexican restaurant, in another town, in another state, as we drove further west, where the staff were friendly and good natured, and our waiter had us laughing all through our meal.  One comment I actually guffawed.  I told him how much I liked the artwork.  (There were also large, antique framed mirrors all over the same wall.)  Our waiter quipped, “Ah yes, but the most beautiful art is reflected in the mirrors”. I automatically turned and stared into the one eye level with our table and saw myself.  And yes, I guffawed loudly.  He feigned a look of surprise but also had a twinkle in his eyes.  My dear other half told him “Oh you’re goooood!”  We both had a fun time at that place.   Great people, great atmosphere and great food!

But, getting around to today's recipes, we don't eat this cuisine very often, but I asked Gregg if he would like a Mexican meal for a change.  (He and our son get together for some father/son time and they go to son’s favorite taco place on occasion).  

I found these recipes a few days ago and they sounded so good.

Plain Chicken was the food blog where the enchiladas came from. The Mexican Rice came from The Kitchn.  If you click on their names, the links will take you right to the original recipes. I always recommend checking them out to see the tips that are given in the making, and also the photos, and other recipes.  

Neither of these meals are very hot or spicy.  One of the blogs said they couldn't say whether it was authentic, but I wouldn't have known.  Both were excellent!


Salsa Con Queso Beef Enchiladas - serves 6

1½ cups salsa

2 lbs. ground beef

1 (1-oz) package taco seasoning 

⅔ cup water

1 (15-oz) jar salsa con queso cheese dip

8 (7-8 inch) flour tortillas

2 cups shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese


Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour salsa into the bottom of the pan. Set aside.

Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring until crumbled; drain fat and return to skillet. 

Add taco seasoning and water to the skillet. Simmer for 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.

Stir salsa con queso cheese dip into the taco meat. Remove skillet from heat.

Spread the meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. 

Roll up tortillas, place, seam side down, into the prepared pan.

Sprinkle tortillas with shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, until warm and the cheese has melted.


Notes given were:

Ground turkey or ground pork can be substituted for the beef. 

You can add veggies to the beef mixture. Onion, bell pepper, corn, black beans or black olives.

For an extra kick, add a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles to the taco meat.

A recipe link for Homemade Taco Seasoning was given, made with chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper.  

https://www.plainchicken.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/

Used was a jar of Tostitos Salsa con Queso, which the host found in the chip aisle.

Also used was La Banderita Low-Carb flour tortillas for the enchiladas. You can use any tortilla that you prefer. Flour or corn tortillas both work fine.

The host's favorite store-bought salsas are Mateo’s, Kyliot’s, Chi-Chi’s, and Trader Joe’s.

Can beef enchiladas be made in advance? Yes. Assemble the enchiladas and cover the pan with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to bake.

Can beef enchiladas be frozen? Yes. Assemble the enchiladas and cool completely. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and foil. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months.  When ready to bake, thaw and bake as directed.



Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice - serves 6 to 8


1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes

medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/3 cup neutral cooking oil, such as canola or safflower (or rendered lard)

2 cups long-grain white rice

1 to 2 medium jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, seeded and minced

4 to 5 cloves 

garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Juice of 2 medium limes, plus more wedges for serving

 

Place the tomatoes and their juices and onion in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. 

Transfer 2 cups of the tomato mixture to a medium saucepan. (Reserve any excess tomato mixture for another use, such as Tomato Sauce.) 

Stir in the chicken broth, salt, and cumin and bring to a boil over medium heat. Meanwhile, toast the rice.

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. 

Add the rice and sauté, stirring frequently, until lightly toasted and golden, about 5 minutes. 

Add the jalapeños and cook until softened, about 2 minutes, lowering the heat as needed. 

Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.

Pour the boiling tomato mixture over the rice and stir to combine. 

Reduce the heat to low. 

Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. 

Remove from the heat and gently fluff the rice with the fork. 

Cover again and set aside to steam for 10 minutes. 

Add the cilantro and lime juice and fluff again to combine. 

Taste and season with more salt as needed. Serve with lime wedges.



The following are the addresses for the above recipes.  At the bottom is a homemade version of their taco seasoning in case you would like to make your own.

https://www.plainchicken.com/salsa-con-queso-beef-enchiladas/

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-mexican-rice-recipes-from-the-kitchn-198867

https://www.plainchicken.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/



Two great recipes and one great meal.  Also a mixed salad is a nice addition.

I would get as much preparation done ahead of time and refrigerate where necessary, pre-chopping veggies and measuring the amounts needed.  The rice dish could be made the previous day for instance and refrigerated.  This seems the type of dish where the flavors would develop even more with the extra time.

I added a spoonful of sour cream.

I wouldn't change anything else, for us it was perfect.





50 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your trips down memory lane. And thank you for the recipes. Not for me, but my partner would probably enjoy them with some adjustments for taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Sue, and you are very welcome. No, not everyone's cup of tea :) Most recipes you can tone down and change to suit individual tastes. It works out great.

      Delete
  2. I have visited Plain Chicken once in awhile, courtesy of Pinterest. They have very god recipes, and lots of them. And I have made almost this exact same recipe! And I do make my own tao seasoning. Growing up, my mom usually made the same few dishes, and all American. She had no time for experimentation, as she worked full time. So I think I was married before I ever tasted Chinese or Mexican. I now make Mexican lot, especially chiliquellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very nice food blog isn't it Ginny? :) I'd be interested in making our own taco seasoning. Like your Mom, years ago we made food that was easier and faster to get on the table. Now we are retired it's one of our favorite hobbies, but even then we have to feel in the mood. We will just throw something together at such times. You have peaked my curiosity with chiliquellas :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading about your adventures with the food. Good memories and your dishes do look good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed Margaret and yes, good memories :)

      Delete
  4. I love everything Mexican. (Food-wise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you share some of your recipes sometime Anni :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Denise,
    The meal looks delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe. I love Mexican food.
    Take care, have a great day and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, glad you enjoyed and you are very welcome. Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious. I grew up in a meat and potatoes house and even if we went out to eat it was always a burger and fries that I ordered. I've only ever been in one mexican restaurant in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know what we like Ann. I sometimes go back to my roots and eat something very plain, with no seasoning at all, not even salt and pepper, not too keen on heavy pepper anyway :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Estou feliz que você acha que parece delicioso. Um abraço e uma boa semana.

      Delete
  8. We don’t eat much Mexican food. When we do, I always gravitate to a taco salad. The other evening we met friends at a Mexican Restaurant that opened recently in our town. At my friend’s urging I tried an enchilada. That meal was quite tasty. I will probably get that meal some other time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely evening with your friends Linda. I'm glad you enjoyed the enchilada and found it tasty :)

      Delete
  9. I love that, 'bless his cotton socks!' Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, I say that a lot about my Dad, he was very lovable. I was blessed with both my parents

      Delete
  10. We love hot and spicy so this is right up our street, love the Mexican Rice recipe. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy and old so beautiful on the plate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra, I try hard to make things look attractive on the plate. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't :)

      Delete
  12. Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed your commentary about your various restaurant experiences. You even had me laughing. Thanks for the 2 recipes. I'll tuck them away for future reference. Thank you, dear Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Gigi, so glad you enjoyed and appreciate very much :) You are very welcome to the recipes. I hope you like them when you try. Thank you dear friend. I hope we get to see you and David again one day. We are always talking about making a trip back to the islands. One of these days :)

      Delete
  13. Delicious! I have been choosing ground pork lately it is less epensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about buying ground pork next time. Thank you Christine :)

      Delete
  14. Not sure if I'd go for this. My tolerance for spicy is pretty low, and even if you're saying it's not too hot and spicy, my definition of those words likely differs from yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you made me smile William, because I think you are correct :)))

      Delete
  15. Many thanks for sharing both these recipes Denise ...

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan :) Thank you and you have a good week also.

      Delete
  16. We really enjoy Mexican food; it's really the go-to cuisine here in the west. Not the same in Florida and definitely not when we were in London. During Covid we started cooking even more at home of course and a lot of ethnic food because that was what we missed the most from our favorite restaurants. (The enchiladas are ethnic enough for me! And the rice is really a good idea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie :) that’s wonderful! When we lived in San Diego, we missed all of this, but didn’t go out a lot to eat. There was one time that was another wonderful experience in a Mexican restaurant in SD and I mentioned that somewhere on this blog. Our priorities were in another direction I guess, our young son being the highest one :) We also were home more during Covid and our ethnic food started off with Thai, which we could not get enough of.

      Delete
  17. The dish looks a delish to me! As one grows older, it is easier to be more receptive to a range of exotic taste I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roentare :) We have more time to cook also as we get older :)

      Delete
  18. It made me smile to read about the 15 extra minutes on your enchiladas. I've been distracted on many an occasion leaving something else unattended. I also liked reading about your eating history and your branching out. We grew up in Southern California so there was no avoiding of Mexican cuisine. It is now my comfort food and we won't go a week without enjoying a Mexican meal. Even though both my parents were born in Russia, their families escaped into Persia and they were introduced to Persian food. When they immigrated to the U.S.A. our food growing up was mostly Russian and Persian influenced but my mother was adventurous in her cooking and tried other cuisines in my teens. Eating out was not part of my upbringing at all. My best friend in high school was Mexican so I was treated out at their favorite Mexican restaurant a few times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it is a familiar story in our kitchen, LOL :) I enjoyed your own food memories Ellen. How very interesting. The only Russian food I have eaten is a bowl of Borscht but I have never tried Persian food. I will have to look up some recipes. A sweet memory of going with your friend and her family to their favorite restaurant. Thank you for sharing your memories, I loved them.

      Delete
  19. I love good Mexican food. I grew up on it so I had better love it. I love how each area has their own versions, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, California, Texas and I like it all. And I love the actual Mexican food from Mexico. That is where I first encountered Mole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am late to the party Yogi, but my taste for Mexican food has been reawakened. I didn’t think about it, but it would change from area to area. Next time we go on a road trip, I know what we will be doing :))) I have never had real Mexican food in Mexico. That is something I have yet to experience. Something to look forward to.

      Delete
  20. Oh Denise, the extra crispy cheese would make my day as I totally love cheese! And I love Mexican food as well! Our whole family enjoys authentic Mexican fare and we enjoy it whenever we can. Our son loves going to a little whole in the wall place in Richmond that makes the best we've tasted away from the Southwest and Mexico. It helps to know a little Spanish as they don't speak our language. Your memories of your parents are always sweet to hear, especially that your Mum thought tea solved all problems. I'm in agreement with her on that! And your Dad sounds like my Daddy--meat and potatoes all the way!
    Thank you for stopping by my little space online. I hope to catch up with you more when we return home. Thanks for inspirational recipes, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha :) how wonderful! And those places often have the best food. We used to know a Thai restaurant like that and we were always greeted like family. Sadly they went out of business but we still talk about them every time we drive by. Our meat and potato daddies would have enjoyed each other’s company, I have no doubt :) You are very welcome to the recipes. So glad you enjoy them. Post when the time is right and I will be right on over :) I hope you are having fun traveling for pleasure.

      Delete
  21. This enchilada dish looks delicious, Denise. And I really like the pretty white plate you displayed them on. My mom made her special homemade enchiladas, and the girls still have her recipe and make them from time to time. Interesting to hear about your childhood and your mom was a good cook. I think you take after her. We didn't eat out much either. I remember going to a Chinese Restaurant once or twice when I was young, and Oh, it was so good. I like what your waiter said about the artwork. Such a sweet thing to say.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri :) I am happy you like my plates. I had another set for years and finally decided it was time for something new. How wonderful you have your Mom’s recipe for enchiladas. That’s a real family treasure right there. I enjoyed my mother’s cooking and she always asked me to do the desserts for our Sunday dinner, that was my thing. That waiter was a real fun guy and yes, very sweet.

      Delete
  22. The food looks delicious and, as you noted, prep time is the most time consuming part of a meal like this. I have never prepared authentic Mexican cuisine at home, and there is a local restaurant within walking distance across our parking lot if and when we get the urge😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy, and super to have a local restaurant you can walk to :)

      Delete
  23. Interesting story. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, glad you enjoyed. You have a good week also :)

      Delete
  24. I love the trip down memory lane to go with the recipes. Its fabulous to capture them & share them here with us too. I'm a great believer that tea fixes everything too, and a mexican meal would be the icing on the cake (or something like that!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!